Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Poll

What we should do with RMC?

Remove them. They just don't fit on EF and we don't need them either.
24 (24.7%)
Keep them as standalone faction. They have potential and could be better than Brits.
73 (75.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: August 06, 2013, 09:25:15 PM

Author Topic: The Royal Marines Commando issue  (Read 32327 times)

Offline Vophaice

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Marines Commando issue
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
I vote on keeping and improving RMC.

Why: First of all my gf just loves the RMC, and she played them mostly (she refused to play vanilla Brits since we had RMC).
Besides that, since the vanilla Brits are lacking in some ways to Feel like a well rounded faction (just like PE, with so many missing basic features), I just can't imagine a better solution than having a decent RMC to play with. (I am not talking balance here, just "feel" and general fun)
Balance aside, the RMC in the state it was in, was somewhat still better -and a lot more enjoyable- than the vanilla Brits. Since I play for fun, I would love to have a fun Brit faction.

And well, since the Ostheer is out, the main thing is out there. Polishing is one thing, but it's good to have another goal beside that. Like the Foreigns, where RMC could belong logically.
But I also agree that focus should be on Ostheer - Soviet balance and AI.

Offline JohnSchwartz

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »
Here's an idea (but I don't know if its a good idea), if the Ostheer is going to get a foreign faction, why not make the RMC a foreign faction for the Allies? Maybe they could have soldiers and vehicles from minor countries that helped the Allies during WW2 like maybe the Free French or something :P.

I don't really know what to vote for personally because I do not really see how the RMC fits in to the Eastern Front, but I kinda liked their playstyle and now even fewer people play the British faction. But I do think that the real focus should be on Soviets and Ostheer.

This is a great idea. It would be cool to see the Poles or Greeks as well.

Offline kaiserkhorne

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
They are needded...
not only improve brits, that is necesary, and is more rich the game with them!

sorry for my english, i dont speack it usually

Offline ubermensche

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
Here's an idea (but I don't know if its a good idea), if the Ostheer is going to get a foreign faction, why not make the RMC a foreign faction for the Allies? Maybe they could have soldiers and vehicles from minor countries that helped the Allies during WW2 like maybe the Free French or something :P.

I don't really know what to vote for personally because I do not really see how the RMC fits in to the Eastern Front, but I kinda liked their playstyle and now even fewer people play the British faction. But I do think that the real focus should be on Soviets and Ostheer.

I think this is a brilliant idea!

As for the RMC being its own faction, I'm afraid it'll just take too long before it happens. I mean it took like 5 years for Ostheer to be released. And now the devs have to work on improving the 2 factions AND they have to work on the foreign faction AND they have to work on the campaign. So you think they're gonna have time for a 3rd faction?
"These new recruits are the caca!"
"Our tanks are far better than that cheap Allied scheisse!"
"Screw this weapon, man!"

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
RMC is good but maybe can be made it a better way, it should have something where Brits don't something that Brit's can access but they cannot, like PE and Wehr where PE is better in infantry and Wehr is all rounder, something like that?

or maybe RMC as an additional faction that combines from Brits and Canada forces too looks well :>

Offline lordbane2110

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
RMC was a good if broken faction, I would like to see them return as well, the standard Brits seem to be a defensive faction, with locking down territory and spamming defenses, The RMC could be an offensive equiv

I also agree with the germans getting a foreign faction, the allies should too why not take all the effort it took to make the RMC not go to waste

Joining the Africa Corps mod could also be cool, but in general I'm more in favor in keeping the eastern front as is

Offline AdmV0rl0n

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
You guys did something great.

You made a brit faction that was pretty darn good, and more flexible than the originals. And as a user of your great mode, I have appreciated and *enjoyed* playing with the RMC a lot. Its a very flexible faction, and in playing them they are much less inflexible that the original brits. Maybe this ends up being the nightmare balance wise.

I've voted to keep them. I'm aware and fully accept that the eastern front was actually your focus and really the design of your 'art'. But sometimes things grow from the unexpected.

In respect of this, I do not know if this makes sense, but could it be a reward unit that remained, but the lobby leader has a tick box to allow the RMC? If the players want a strictly balanced game, they can rule out the RMC. And yet for those of us who play for fun, and I suspect that is many - the option can remain.

I am curious, can the team spec out what part of the RMC is badly imbalanced? Maybe you could just seek to remove the worst cases..

Even if you make the choice I don't like, I still want to thank all of you and the team - because I had a lot of fun just playing with that faction and I amsad to see it prospectivly go. It really would be a loss to the game for me as one of your users. I'm aware others feel it somehow pollutes things, and maybe it does in the harsh confines of a perfect setup.

Offline Tico1990

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
I vote for getting the RMC back in the mod.
While it is true that the Brits had nothing to do in terms of fighting on the Eastern Front, I don't believe this should be the all deciding factor in not redoing them.
I agree with the people who state that, now that the OH and SU are done, this could become a new focus point. In all honesty, the EF team has fixed problems and bugs in the original factions before. Including/remaking the RMC would follow this line in my opinion.
Someone also mentioned teaming up with the Africa mod. This is something I find worth looking in to. If it would be possible to make the mods compatible (aka, being able to play with both at the same time), than this would be truelly great. This way you still have two separate mods, but you'd be able to mix it up. This will also help to keep people interested in this game and this mod for a longer period of time.

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »
I'm all for keeping them, as the Brits have been a favourite team ever since their release. However, despite my love for their turtling, they are seriously broken, and removing the RMC is pretty much rendering the vanilla Brits useless on the Mod.

I think if we're going to stick with the concept of not changing anything of the Vanilla teams, the RMC are a must, just to keep the playable teams at three apiece.

Personally, I loved the RMC in the previous versions, but I completely understand the issues that we had with them. How about a complete revamp, focusing more on the mobile, light and outnumbered efforts of the RMC and SAS (without the HQ trucks!)?

Also, could this be a chance to show off the RAF, at last?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:46:54 PM by MonolithicBacon »

Offline skierkickjoe

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »
I've been playing this mod for five years now, greatly enjoyed each new iteration to include the RMC. when I play as the Brits, which I do often, I only play as the RMC because the vanilla Brits just plan suck. That being said, I think that they can be much better then they currently are and would be better suited as a replacement to the Brits entirely as opposed to keeping it as a reward faction. While there is something to be said for focusing on the core elements of this mod and perfecting them, one of the  coolest things about this mod is to play as the Germans facing a mixture of Brits, Americans and soviets. The what ifs of WWII as opposed to the strict adherence to history isn't that after all why we play these kind of games, if you simply want to repeat history watch a movie or read a book.   

Offline Panzer4life

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »
The RMc is something that could be done very well, as a stand alone faction. My main issue with the British is that they are very slow and static, as if they are stuck in WW1. The RMC could remove this issue, and they could be equipped with new units and have some parallels to the British. My suggestion is this;
1: Don't make it just the Royal Marines. While the Royal Marines are good, they don't make a faction. the RMC will need vehicles, support, and while the Royal marines may have some, they will need more variety to be good.
2: Borrow only a few units from the British Factions. Churchill tanks and maybe cromwell tanks I could see being in the RMC, but not infantry sections nor the base trucks. They are the slowness of the British Faction, and thus do the RMC a disservice.
3:Make new command structure for the RMC. The British are hampered by their heavy tier load, making them hard to play and harder to win as.While I enjoy their high tier equipment, its a joke unlocking, even worse that the Werh most of the time.
No one can stop the German panzer divisions.

Offline luz777

• Donor
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 01:13:25 AM »

I'd vote to keep RMC in the mod and restructure them along these lines.

I never played vanilla Brits any more and think it had a lot of potential. Not sure about the idea of making them a whole new faction. I think the idea of a "reward faction" like before and like the Ostheer foreign troops is a better idea. Just be sure that its balanced enough and has enough new goodies to lure people away from vanilla brits for good.

Offline LiefTundra

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 02:25:27 AM »
I'd like to keep them as a reward faction as well, but with different doctrines and a different feel then the original vanilla Brits. I think if they are to be an entirely different faction, they need to have lots of new and unique stuff like soldiers, vehicles, playstyle, doctrines, and teching, but I don't know if the devs have enough time or enough resources for all that. Of course the main focus should be on Ostheer and Soviets, but I think the RMC should have another chance as long as nobody minds that they didn't fight on the Eastern Front.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:30:55 AM by LiefTundra »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 04:12:16 AM »
We want them to have a regular HQ instead of the HQ truck... and with that said, we cannot do it if it is a reward faction. So, it is either make it a new faction or remove it because it won't be balanced properly.

I don't remember if I wrote it in the announcement, but creating a reward faction is by no means easier than making a full faction because at the end you will need to balance it as a new faction. If we would just change skins it then it can be used as reward faction(but it is not what everyone seems to want from RMC), but it is not the case because RMC has a different set of units units and teching tree(regardless if it is good or not): some units are just re-skinned from CW, some are new and others while look the same than the vanilla ones, they have been changed.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Michaelcycle13

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »
Did anyone see my idea? I thought it was cool. Thanks