Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Soviet vs Ost Ai  (Read 13302 times)

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Soviet vs Ost Ai
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
Currently it seems as if playing against the Soviets as Ostheer is extremely difficult while vice versa is too easy. I'm not sure whether it is the AI or the faction balance (though I notice Ostheer tend to do nothing early game but cap with sturmpios). Just for the laughs, I can play against expert Ostheer as soviets and spam+blob 15 squads of strelky w/ smgs over the course of the game and easily use pak 40 as AT. Playing against soviets as Ostheer is rather a challenge. Your thoughts?
My personal favorite

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
Re: Soviet vs Ost Ai
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 07:24:40 AM »
I agree, i've also noticedd that british AI doesn't do much either
Embrace your Dreams

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
I also noticed that I haven't added you guys in Steam yet.
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:36 AM »
Nothing is more fun than charging 100 men Red Banner Strelky with PPSH41s into an Ostheer base, and seeing all of his Panzerjagers or Panzerfusiliers get shredded while the 30 of your own men die in the charge all while listening to the Red Army theme from CoD WaW.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:08:58 AM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:32:01 AM »
Steam is: BffWtithDEATH (WT)™
Embrace your Dreams

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
The AI is still being worked on, especially the ostheer AI. Also, british AI is notoriously hard to work with because of how the faction is designed, but ill see what I can do.

Offline Codename "Tiger"

• Balancer
  • Guard
  • Ostheer for Victory!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (German)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »
The British Faction doesnt take Part in Balance Discussions i think, so we do not work with British....

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
Well, this is not a balance discussion, it is an AI discussion :). So there is nothing wrong with it.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:13:21 AM »
Personally i believe the British AI need's some work, i find it doesn't take part in most player's decisions for skirmish etc simply because it doesn't do very much but player's use the british extensively
Embrace your Dreams

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »
I think the main problem lies with how most of the time the Ostheer AI ends up doing nothing but capping with its 2 pios then 5 min later builds the base buildings where you see landsers at 7-8 min mark
My personal favorite

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »
Although that may be the intention, I have yet to see a game open for PVP in the lobby. For this reason, AI is becoming more and more important. I'm sure a little tweak to the the computers won't hurt the balance of the game am I right?
My personal favorite

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:38:03 AM »
Although that may be the intention, I have yet to see a game open for PVP in the lobby. For this reason, AI is becoming more and more important. I'm sure a little tweak to the the computers won't hurt the balance of the game am I right?

PVP is still an important aspect of the game and the main priority

However, the AI is also a priority and you can expect improvements in the next patch, especially for the ostheer

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 12:53:27 AM »
The Ostheer AI does prove to be challenging once they get their vehicles all massed up together, until IS2s hit the field they become fairly vulnerable as infantry masses are  able to combat the masses of panzerjager spams and pak40s.
My personal favorite

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 01:35:48 AM »
The Ostheer AI does prove to be challenging once they get their vehicles all massed up together, until IS2s hit the field they become fairly vulnerable as infantry masses are able to combat the masses of panzerjager spams and pak40s.

thanks for the input, observations like these really help with me adjusting the AI, as I dont have the time to play the game all day every day watching the AI :P

Offline Grand Duke

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
Speaking of AI, I've got a few observations about the Soviet AI. While generally it is fine and can put up a challenge (mostly by making human wave attacks using insane blobs of Cons+Engineers+Strelky and sometimes launching nice-looking armoured attacks of 3-4 T-34s at once, mixed with various light tanks/assault guns), I've noticed a couple of strange patterns.
1)I've never seen AI equip Strelky with PPSh or DP, it always seem to go with the PTRS. Maybe he's just reacting to me building tanks and vehicles, I dunno. Never seen Guards, Sturmovie or Ford GPA neither.
2)Is the AI using the Observer team as intended? I understand there's no way of forcing the computer to use it as a player would (in cover behind enemy lines holding fire), and it seems to think of it as a long range marksman team, but a couple of times I've seen the AI mass 3 observer teams, sneak them to my base while I'm busy elsewhere, and get them to engage my base buildings from outside the base, dealing no damage and possibly getting his units killed by my base defences.
3)I don't know whether it's an AI stuff or a physics/game mechanics issue, but sometimes AI Conscripts burn themselves with their own Molotovs. E.g., when there are a Landser squad and a Cons squad both in green cover firing at each other from across the street, sometimes the Conscrpits would throw their Molotov, it would hit the sandbags they are behind, pouring burning petrol all over their own position, burning 3-4 men of the squad before the computer (if we're lucky) pulls the squad out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:52:47 PM by Grand Duke »