Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Night/Day cycle  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Tom

• Guard
    • View Profile
Night/Day cycle
« on: September 18, 2014, 09:58:27 PM »
This would be so cool to be able to have on all maps like weather option on or off. Is it hard to implement?
knowing what you want is half the battle

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Night/Day cycle
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
You would need to edit every single map to allow this, am I wrong @Max?
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
Some maps already have it I think. And yea, it requires adjustments to each map's weather settings.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:33:54 AM »
I have set up the following vehicles to use their lights when the weather is rain/mediumrain/heavyrain/snow/mediumsnow/heavysnow or when the time is dawn or night:

* Panzerwerfer
* Opel Maultier
* Kubelwagen
* Sdkfz. 251
* Sdkfz. 263

And the Soviet BA-64 and Ford GPA are able to do it as well. Although the lights are bugged in the Panzerwerfer, because they are not facing the right way :P.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 05:25:58 AM »
 8) epic :)

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
You would need to edit every single map to allow this, am I wrong @Max?

Depends on what exactly is meant here! There's two ways to implement alternative/changing weather. Usually you have to decide between those two..

A) Weather options selectable in the game setup menu. This is given to you a lot by Relic, so you can choose whether to face your enemy for example either on a sunny afternoon or in a rainy night. Requires changes on every single map itself, I would have to change the/add a .options file which lists the .aps (weather settings) to use in that map, stored in a subfolder of the map's sga file.

B) Add - and this is what I think Tom refers to - a dynamic weather/daytime cycle, done in the atmosphere settings of the map itself (so it requires changes on all single maps as well). In the transitions section of the atmosphere settings, you are able to load several single atmosphere settings for one scenario, assign hold and transition times for them and the game automatically generates transitions from one atmosphere setting to another, with rotating shadows, changing fog, lighting, weather and skies.

All in all, adding either weather options or transitions for each single (40+) Eastern Front maps won't be done, but I'm always open for suggestions regarding single changes, for example if you would like a rainy morning > cloudy noon > sunny afternoon > foggy night for Magnuszew, I can do that. Just use the Maps subforum and I'll see what I can do!

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline Tom

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:31 AM »
Sounds great man. This is precisely what i was thinking. This succesion looks great "rainy morning > cloudy noon > sunny afternoon > foggy night" . A couple of minutes of rain in the begining of the game cant be that harmful.

And yeah, only the most important/played maps should get this if u decide to implement.
knowing what you want is half the battle

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
I have set up the following vehicles to use their lights when the weather is rain/mediumrain/heavyrain/snow/mediumsnow/heavysnow or when the time is dawn or night:

* Panzerwerfer
* Opel Maultier
* Kubelwagen
* Sdkfz. 251
* Sdkfz. 263

And the Soviet BA-64 and Ford GPA are able to do it as well. Although the lights are bugged in the Panzerwerfer, because they are not facing the right way :P.

Elefant has the necessaryt fxs assigned to it too! (T-60 and T-90 soon too)
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline Grand Duke

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »
Wait-wait-wait-wait, did I hear someone say BA-64? Because I definitely heard someone say BA-64. So... Does it means that units shown in http://www.easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=10772.msg149916#msg149916 are going to make an appearance soon? Please-please, tell us they are! :D

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »
It will be used in the reward doctrine of course :).
Mors Indecepta

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »
Sounds great man. This is precisely what i was thinking. This succesion looks great "rainy morning > cloudy noon > sunny afternoon > foggy night" . A couple of minutes of rain in the begining of the game cant be that harmful.

And yeah, only the most important/played maps should get this if u decide to implement.

I'd recommend you to suggest something for me to do regarding weather cycles then before the mapping for other projects *cough cough* continues :P

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

chaosval3

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
Just do a few maps like Karachev, Kotelnikovo, Magnuszew, Battle of Mahiljou, Demyansk, Elbing, Vienna if you can please :D