Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: UK c4 documentary nazi megastructures  (Read 3010 times)

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
UK c4 documentary nazi megastructures
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
Anyone get a chance to catch this? well worth watching especially the one on tanks and the porsche design for the tiger as the first "hybrid" vehicle lol

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
Re: UK c4 documentary nazi megastructures
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
What? Do u have more information or a video link to the documentary.
May the force be with you.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »
If I get this correctly, the documentation most likely addressed the design of Porsche's protoype of the tiger, also known as Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (P) which was equipped with both gasoline and electric engines. This is how it worked:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The petrol-electric drive specially developed by Ferdinand Porsche entered "uncharted territory". It was this reason that defects were produced in the drive system. The two air-cooled 10-cylinder engines designated Porsche 101/1, which were merged respectively with a Siemens-Schuckert 500 VA generator, generated the necessary electric energy to operate the two Siemens 230 KW electric motors. In this drive system, a transmission system could be omitted, since now a 3-step speed switch took over the work. The electric motors transferred their power with a drive ratio of 15: 1 directly to the drive wheels located at the rear.
Source

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
What? Do u have more information or a video link to the documentary.

there ya go, not sure if its region or account locked u might have to sign up etc
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/nazi-megastructures
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:36:09 PM by maddogb »

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
If I get this correctly, the documentation most likely addressed the design of Porsche's protoype of the tiger, also known as Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (P) which was equipped with both gasoline and electric engines. This is how it worked:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The petrol-electric drive specially developed by Ferdinand Porsche entered "uncharted territory". It was this reason that defects were produced in the drive system. The two air-cooled 10-cylinder engines designated Porsche 101/1, which were merged respectively with a Siemens-Schuckert 500 VA generator, generated the necessary electric energy to operate the two Siemens 230 KW electric motors. In this drive system, a transmission system could be omitted, since now a 3-step speed switch took over the work. The electric motors transferred their power with a drive ratio of 15: 1 directly to the drive wheels located at the rear.
Source

think the program stated it was a diesel generator but yeah you get the point lol

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
    • CoH: European Conflagration
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:15 AM »
I just borrowed this from the library yesterday, funnily enough. It wasn't bad as far as documentaries go, although it could certainly be pretty cringeworthy at times. (FlaK88? Seriously? ::)) Of particular note, though, was the "Jet Caves", which was definitely news to me.

think the program stated it was a diesel generator but yeah you get the point lol
I don't recall them stating what engine the Tiger had, however they did say the Maus used a diesel-electric engine. That may be what you're thinking of, unless i'm mistaken.

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 03:00:47 PM »
didn't record it and my internet is too poo to watch online but think at the part where the two designs for the tiger had to do the test track it went quickly through the porshe design then lead in to how badly it failed, then FP used the same drive design in his plans for the maus.

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
    • CoH: European Conflagration
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:16:11 AM »
didn't record it and my internet is too poo to watch online but think at the part where the two designs for the tiger had to do the test track it went quickly through the porshe design then lead in to how badly it failed, then FP used the same drive design in his plans for the maus.
I just rewatched it, and yes, you have right. My apologies, kind sir.