Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Trouble placing objects/splats  (Read 5987 times)

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
    • CoH: European Conflagration
Trouble placing objects/splats
« on: March 21, 2015, 11:24:07 PM »
Hello technical boffins,

Forgive me for calling on your assistance, but i am having some problems placing objects and splats in the World Builder. I can open the list, select and place whatever i want, but after manipulating any given object or splat i will be unable to place any new ones until i close and then re-open the World Builder. Therefore i have taken to placing a whole bunch of the same object or splat, and then just assigning them to whatever else i'd like to place. Splines seem to work fine, and i haven't tried placing any decals thus far.

This is most frustrating, and makes mapping harder than it should be, so i'd greatly appreciate any help anybody here could provide.

Much obliged, CoHtaku.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble placing objects/splats
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:54:38 PM »
Well then, let's to through this step-by-step.
After selecting the object/splat from the list on the right bottom side of your WorldBuilder window and right-clicking to place it, what exactly did you do to manipulate objects? Here's the possibilties you are usually granted to do so:
LMB+Shift+Mouse: Adjust angle
LMB+H+Mouse: Adjust height (objects, water and object splines only)
LMB+C+Mouse: Clone object/splat/... -> Might help you to avoid restarting if the issue isn't fixable
LMB+C+H+Mouse: Clone object vertically
After having placed anything of your choice by using the right mouse button, you should be able to go to the list to your right and select any other entry and place it as you like.
If not, there is some serious trouble - at least if it occurs that early. Actually, it is quite common to witness the error stated by you when having worked on a map for quite a while in one single session, I've never heard of it happening immediately though.

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
Hi 'DonXavi',

It's actually quite random. Sometimes if i simply select an object (whether it was on the map at the time of opening it or placed afterwards) it won't let me place any more. Other times, i will be able to move and even rotate an object before it decides to stop working.

It also likes to crash when trying to use the tile textures, if that helps.

Thanks, CoHtaku.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »
Well, it seems like your PC can't cope with the demands of WorldBuilder - my technical understanding is limited though, perhaps you should check your graphics card's driver, whether DirectX is installed and everything else that is needed to smoothly run the game itself.

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:44:01 AM »
Hello again 'DonXavi',

I have installed the drivers after setting up the laptop, which wasn't too long ago. The game itself runs fine, aside from a lag spike when tilting the view horizontally when playing a 4v4 with stormy settings, but this soon rights itself. DirectX should be installed too, as that comes with the game if i recall.

Thank you, CoHtaku.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
Hi 'DonXavi',

It's actually quite random. Sometimes if i simply select an object (whether it was on the map at the time of opening it or placed afterwards) it won't let me place any more. [...]
That happens to me from time to time, I guess this is just how WorldBuilder is made. When that happens I need to restart it.

I guess the problem might be due to bad resource allocation. It is not the most stable map creation tool made but it is better than nothing ;).
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 03:50:49 AM »
Hi 'Blackbishop',

I was using an old notebook to map previously, which can hardly even run CoH with a framerate above 1 per second (yes, literally), but even that was capable of running the WorldBuilder without it bugging out like that. (However it couldn't handle splines without crashing, so that was still pretty much useless for mapping.)

I have however taken the advice posted above by Mr. Xavi on holding 'C' to copy when moving an object or splat, which has made it significantly easier for me to make progress with my maps, so this isn't such a big deal anymore. :)

I quite like the WorldBuilder actually, and in my experience it's better than StarEdit; I am at least capable of placing bridges in the former. :P

Cheers, CoHtaku.

Offline Indecente

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Trouble placing objects/splats
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
I start off always making tiles. I have heard that some people start some maps with objects though. How do you start?

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
I start off always making tiles. I have heard that some people start some maps with objects though. How do you start?

Depends on my mood. Generally, in Level Design, you start off doing the entire map in a rough fashion and then going into detail. Firstly focusing on central areas (areas where most action will be), then going outwards.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »
Hello Indecente,

After placing the required starting positions, i like to place any significant terrain features followed by the resource/victory points and a rough sector layout in order to get a sense of the size for the map; If i feel the size needs to be adjusted, i'll start anew. Only after that will i start working out the details.

It's really up to you, though, what you do first, as there's no right or wrong way to do it. :)

Cheers, CoHtaku.

Offline CoHtaku

• Ingenery
  • Atterete Dominatum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

A little update on this problem:

I've had some spare time recently so i decided to have another go at mapping, this time on my new computer, but this one's even worse -- After placing a single gate, i am no longer able to place either single objects or object splines, even after restarting the computer! Somebody must have a solution for this, surely? :'(