Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Ideas for Italian Command Tree  (Read 9630 times)

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Italian Command Tree
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »
We try to work with the historical materials that were used on the eastern front.
Neither the Folgore Division nor the P.108 bomber were used at the eastern front. Basing on our policy to work with the historical arsenal we wont use them for an italian doctrine as part of the Ostheer.
All in all basing on my personal opinion it dont make any sense to make an italian doctrine for the Ostheer. But this is just my personal point of view and not the point of view of the team. At the end the team will decided about the fate of the italian army as part of the EF mod.
May the force be with you.

Offline Darren Marshall

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »
Did you guys get a decision about the italians in EF?
Hope in a good decision, this mod pay attention on the historical side, and have in the game all factions of the EF without the italians would be very disappointing.

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »
So we are gonna have French too? Because both Italian and French faction are kinda pathetic ya know... Just have Italian as part of command tree is good I guess
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Darren Marshall

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
So we are gonna have French too? Because both Italian and French faction are kinda pathetic ya know... Just have Italian as part of command tree is good I guess
It's not the same thing, Italy participated with 230.000 soldiers by the Regio Esercito, 65 Planes by Regia Aeronautica and the Regia Marina sent the MAS to fight in Black Sea and Ladoga Lake.
French participated with volunteers only, and the size of LVF was about 6.000 - 7.000 soldiers.

And i'm talking about a Italian command Tree, not about a new unique faction.

So, yes, your intervertion it's not really right.

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 12:49:59 AM »
I have myself been working on an Italian faction for like 2-3 years now, mostly cause I think they are cool and most of the time you dont see them in games. Which is kinda weird and lame though cause they were on of the ¨main¨ axis countries. At the same time however I do understand many of the times why they choose not to potray Italy in games.

What you can do, is to borrow the main theme from my idea ^^ That let Italy be a faction by itself. But let Italy just like the Soviets and ostheer be a potrayall of their entire time in the war. Just like the Soviets and their early units are suppost to be 1941 and then later into the games they are 1944-45 units. Do the same with Italy! Let they potray several themes in the same team. I mean nobody is complaing about Ostheer using Panzer III ( early war tank) together with the Tiger II ( late war.)

So for example let them start of as the ordinary royal Italian army with 1941-43 units and then later units are potraying the RSI ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Social_Republic ) with units from 43-45. Sure the RSI might didnt have that much of a force , especially tanks. But just go with the idea that they got German crews but Italian tanks ( Like the P40 for example.)

By doing that, you can with the same faction let people play out Eastern front games and at the same time do an amazing Italian front. If the Soviets and the Ostheer can do it, Italy can as well ;P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:52:03 AM by Sommarkatze »

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »
It's not the same thing, Italy participated with 230.000 soldiers by the Regio Esercito, 65 Planes by Regia Aeronautica and the Regia Marina sent the MAS to fight in Black Sea and Ladoga Lake.
French participated with volunteers only, and the size of LVF was about 6.000 - 7.000 soldiers.

And i'm talking about a Italian command Tree, not about a new unique faction.

So, yes, your intervertion it's not really right.
What I meant is their weapons are kinda pathetic, so call in of the Italians mostly infantries, and the French I said actually the French on the Allied faction side not the Clichy French.
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Darren Marshall

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 11:10:53 PM »
I have myself been working on an Italian faction for like 2-3 years now, mostly cause I think they are cool and most of the time you dont see them in games. Which is kinda weird and lame though cause they were on of the ¨main¨ axis countries. At the same time however I do understand many of the times why they choose not to potray Italy in games.

What you can do, is to borrow the main theme from my idea ^^ That let Italy be a faction by itself. But let Italy just like the Soviets and ostheer be a potrayall of their entire time in the war. Just like the Soviets and their early units are suppost to be 1941 and then later into the games they are 1944-45 units. Do the same with Italy! Let they potray several themes in the same team. I mean nobody is complaing about Ostheer using Panzer III ( early war tank) together with the Tiger II ( late war.)

So for example let them start of as the ordinary royal Italian army with 1941-43 units and then later units are potraying the RSI ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Social_Republic ) with units from 43-45. Sure the RSI might didnt have that much of a force , especially tanks. But just go with the idea that they got German crews but Italian tanks ( Like the P40 for example.)

By doing that, you can with the same faction let people play out Eastern front games and at the same time do an amazing Italian front. If the Soviets and the Ostheer can do it, Italy can as well ;P
Are you working on italian faction?

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »
From time to time yes, I have taken all my experiance from this beloved forum and have been working on an Italian faction yes. Just gotta get my thumb out my ass one day and actually post it here. I wanted to draw concept art to each unit as well ( to sell the idea much better :>) and that takes some time as well.

What I learnt from the beloved EF team when coming up with an suggestion/concept or game idea in general is these simple rules.

- It has to be useful, Sure maybe it where around and was used during the war. But do it bring anything to the game?

- balance. This one is super important, you cant just say, THEY GOT ANTI TANK GRENADES FOR 20 AMU. Each unit gotta have weaknesses and stuff its good against.
For example Panzer Elits Pz4. Its a beast against infantry but terrible against other tanks. I would actually say to start with when you are coming up with an unit to make it have more weaknesses than good stuff. And from there develop the unit slowly. Otherwise you often end up with an pretty OP unit.

If you choose to give a unit somethings thats really good. The unit should at the same time have to pay for that skill somehow. Once again the PE Pz4. During its super abilety it cant move, it takes time to deploy and it got cool down.

And my own favorite

- Unique.
This one is kind of related to the first rule , it has to be useful. But at the same time it gotta have its own unique style. Only to change the skins and weapons to Italians
doesnt make it unique. In the end you just gonna end up with an grenadier squad but with an Italian look. They can certainly be similar to something other factions have. But they need something thats unique to just them.

Do remember the balance thing though. Balance could even help you out to make it unique. Take my concept for the Italian Mg crew for example.

The Italian can purchase a team with an Breda M37. The M37 compared to the Germans Mg42 team is lighter .The M37 weigh around 19kg while the Mg42 with a tripod 25kg.

This mean the Italian crew deploy their Mg faster than an German one.

The italians do buy there mg team cheaper compared to the Germans as well.

The M37 however is not belt fed as the mg42 but magasine fed from 20 round clips. This means the M37 cant cover as much as the mg42 cause it has to reload. In game terms this means If the mg42 has an line of fire of 90 ° the M37 only has 45. This might sound pretty bad, but do remember it deploy much faster!

So there you got it. It has one good thing ( deploy faster). One disvantage ( cant cover that much) and this is not seen in any of the other Mgs in the game which makes it unique !

Sorry if it got a little messy. Hope it helped! : >
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:05:38 AM by Sommarkatze »

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

Offline SilentAssassin

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
I would love to see the Italian Forces as their own factions going from early war to the RSI, but I can see why that would be a problem for the development team.  It would take much longer to balance and update the factions.

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
Well. A hole new italian faction would be cool. But it would be a nightmare to balance 4 axis factions vs 3 or 3 alliied faction. I would be happy to see or help or organize an italian mod but unfortunately i dont have the key skills for this task (limited corsix, no 3d skills). All in all i'm afraid that we will never see an italian P40 or M13/40 tank in CoH  :(
May the force be with you.

Offline SilentAssassin

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 09:57:04 PM »
I'm going to give this command tree a shot.

Abilities:

1: New Recruits: 200 - manpower

Unit production times and costs reduce by 50% temporarily.

2: Fight for your life!: 50 - munitions

Infantry units will increase their rate of fire and break suppression to try and defeat the enemy.

4: Cannone da 90/53:  Allows the Italian Engineer squad to build a Cannone da 90/53.

Support:

1: Infantry Assault Package: All base infantry units can be supplied with Berretta Modello 38s for 75 munitions.

2: Offmap Obice da 105/14 modello 18 barrage:  125 - Munitions

The Area is saturated by multiple Oblice Artillery pieces that are standing by, followed by smoke deployment in the area.

3: Semovente 105/25: 300 - manpower

Deploys a Semovente 105/25 tank destroyer to the battlefield. (Comes with hull down ability.)

Reward unit Carro Armato P40 tank. (Replaces Semovente 105/25.)

Offline SilentAssassin

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
Apparently there is a mod that is inspired by the Eastern Front mod about the Southern Front. Can't find much info on it though.