Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Status report - December 2016 (Ostheer tech tree)  (Read 12966 times)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Status report - December 2016 (Ostheer tech tree)
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »

Hello comrades!

This day we bring to you the new tech tree layout for the Ostheer faction. If you thought than Soviets in the previous update got huge changes then Ostheer ones would be even bigger!

The main problema we faced with Ostheer is the pool selection system, what the players think of it? What can be done to improve it and not make the gameplay boring? Are the units we use justified for the pool scenario we handle? Aren’t too many units for Ostheer?

All of that made us think and rework the system several times, but right now we have something that we find interesting and fun to offer in place of the old system. So here we go:

Headquarters – T0

The headquarters still have the Sturmpioneers as basic unit along with the Assault Pool and Support Pool upgrades, however, it also stores several key global upgrades for the Ostheer Commander:

• Infantry Modernization: Which provides up to two levels/upgrades to improve infantry. First one grants anti-personal and anti-tank grenades in different type of abilities, depending of the infantry unit; second one grants special weapon upgrades to infantry squads.
  • Support Vehicle Modernization: Which provides up to three levels/upgrades to unlock armoured support for Ostheer. First one unlocks vehicles such as Halftracks, Panzer IIIs and StuG IIIs; second one unlocks the Panzer IVs; last one unlocks Panther tanks.
  • Armor Skirts Research: There is also a third new type of global upgrade which grants all the armoured units (that can be upgraded of course) in the field with armoured skirts.

The Famo is available in this building, although it requires the first Vehicle Modernization upgrade to be produced.

The Sturmpioneers have mostly the same skills, however, they now have the panzerfaust ability as anti-tank measure and can build Observation Posts (since the Opel Maultier is no longer available). Also, Panzernests are the base defense buildings now and no longer tied to the Fortress Army Troops Tree.

It is not shown in the pictures, but actually their OP building is the concrete emplacement and not the one used by Wehrmacht and American forces.

Infantry Gefechts Kommand – T1

This building now features this selection of units.

The Skirmish Commander has now two abilities related to air support: A recon one and a bomb strike one. It also continues to offer a passive aura which effect vary depending if the player researched the Assault Pool or the Support one.

Landser squads have the skills to build some defensive structures and to purchase weapon upgrades in the form of the Mkb42 (H) or the Panzerschreck 43. They also can get anti-personal and smoke grenades.

The Kubelwagen remains the same (no upgrade, both weapons available from the start).

There is an armoured vehicle counter in this building, the Pak 97/38, which is a combination of a 75mm French field gun barrel with a new muzzle break attached to a Pak 38 carriage. It’s penetration is lower than the Pak 38 but still enough to combat medium tanks without problems. It can use HEAT rounds.

Although, the Pak 97/38 was temporary a solution against the new Soviet armour due to the lack of power of the Pak 36, the real anti-tank solution was being produced at the same time, and it is the Pak 40. The Pak 40 requires the Support Vehicle Modernization level/upgrade 2 and can fire Panzergranate 40 rounds. The Pak 40 replaces the Pak 97/38 in the production building, but the units already deployed in the field won’t be replaced.

Schutzen War Camp – T2

This production building is unlocked after the Tier 1 building is finished. The units it can produce are Heavy Machine Gun teams, Marksman squads, Halftracks and Panzer III tanks.

It has a single global upgrade that improves the Panzer III main gun and chassis and affects all the units already produced or to be produced.

Heavy Machine gun teams and Marksman squads remain with little changes, so you can say they are practically the same than in the previous version regarding their functions.

Halftrack squads can transport only one infantry squad whose size is up to six members. It can be upgraded into the Mortar Halftrack (Sdkfz. 251/2) or the Drilling Halftrack (Sdkfz. 251/21) depending on the Pool selected.

The Panzer III has now two cumulative upgrades: Purchase the top gunner (AA MG 34) and to make it a Flammpanzer III, replacing their anti-tank capabilities for anti-personal ones. And has a smoke ability to help to escape when in a pinch.

Panzer Kampf Kommand – T3

This production building has the following units to recruit: the leIG 18 team, the Panzer II “Luchs”, the StuG III, the Panzer IV and the Panzer V “Panther”. It is unlocked after the Tier 1 building is finished.

It also has two global upgrades available for the player: One for the Luchs that allows the vehicle to use phosphorus rounds; the other for the Panzer IV and Pak 40 that grants the Panzergranate 40 rounds.

The leIG 18 is an artillery unit, that can be relocated anywhere where is needed. I cannot autofire, but has a barrage ability.

The Luchs is a fast light vehicle used for recon purposes and has a 20mm KwK 38 cannon which makes it excel in against infantry skirmishes.

The StuG III is an important asset against heavier armoured units, and has a camouflage skill which helps it to ambush enemy units. It can be upgraded with a MG 34 gunner.

The Panzer IV has also a camouflage skill and can be upgraded with a MG 34 gunner.

The Luchs, StuG III and Panzer IV have the same smoke discharge ability than the Panzer III.

Once unlocked, the Panther will replace the Panzer IV production but it won’t replace already deployed units. It can also be upgraded with a MG 34 gunner.

Luftwaffe Headquarters – Auxiliar Tier

This is a new support building which makes use of the Luftwaffe Forces to improve the flow of the Ostheer gameplay. This building requires the Tier 1 to be finished to be unlocked.

The first set of upgrades are named Army Supplies I and Army Supplies II, which lowers the manpower upkeep.

The second set of upgrades are named internally Luftbrücke I, Luftbrücke II and Luftbrücke III (which would be Luftwaffe Air Bridge I, II and III in English - WIP) and increase the munition income for the Ostheer player.

The third set of upgrades are meant to unlock the Skirmish Commander squad abilities. Close-Air Support I and Close-Air Support II, the former unlocking a bf-109 to recon a requested area and the latter which unlocks a Stuka air strike which drops a bomb in the targeted area.

Building this advanced structure also grant the Ostheer player of two abilities: Medikit Airdrop and Brandenburgers. Both are more or less the same as they were in previous builds.

This would be all for this new update, but before finishing we need to say this: Thanks to the beta testers and balancers who gave us feedback to continue working into improving Eastern Front, without this we would have been in the limbo for more time.

Also, we proudly announce we have a new member helping us with the models we still need to do to release in steam, his username is Dark Sentinel. Thanks to him we can dream for a better release date. Here is a screenshot of the new KV series tanks, made by Dark Sentinel.

If you have any inquiry or comment feel free to leave it in the comment section, we will try to answer as fast as we can. Also, if you have a bug to report, remember to do it in the Bugs & Tech Support section in our forums (and remember to read the stickied posts before posting).

See you later!
Archaic Entertainment Team
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:59:48 PM by Enrique 'Blackbishop' E. »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
Re: Status report - December 2016 (Ostheer tech tree)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »
i can't see the picture of the new kv series.. :(

it says ''access denied''
SORRY KYLO REN BUT ISANG BALA KA LANG

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
Sorry, forgot to change the links, but they should be visible now.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:59:53 PM »
thanks sir :)
 i can now see it

Offline Dreamerbg

• Balancer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
    • EF mod stream channel :)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 04:29:17 PM »
New KVs, Awesome :)

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
Nice report! :D
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Lutzow

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »
Hi, nice  :)

Just a couple of question: why was Opel Maultier ommited? And what about Marder? Will it be completely excluded or part of the Command trees? Also what about the Tiger?
Any news of the release date?  :P

Keep up the good work guys

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »
the tiger is included in one of the ostheer doctrine.

the marder is thrown out of the game for now.

the opel maultier is gone for now i guess..

Offline Lutzow

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:40 PM »
the tiger is included in one of the ostheer doctrine.

the marder is thrown out of the game for now.

the opel maultier is gone for now i guess..
Why are Marder and Opel Maultier thrown out? They're actually one of the Axis units unique to the Ostheer adding to diversity of units...

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 11:09:03 PM »
I don't really think the Marder II gives diversity to Ostheer. It's role is similar to the StuG III and the Pak 40 so when there is no more division of the units produced depending of the pools, there is no need for that unit.

The Opel Maultier is a different matter, because we wanted to have them a similar mechanic than Soviets, being their counterpart, and certainly the Opel wasn't as attractive when it no longer had the abilities it used to have.
Mors Indecepta

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 12:51:04 AM »
Maybe we can make opel maultier to produce springer tank. But we need a new model for that. Hehe. Nevermind :P

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 01:05:44 AM »
If we decided to re-add the Marder II i'd probably want to remake the model anyway.

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 06:21:21 AM »
May I suggest something.
I noticed that the soviets have 2 main combat infantry. Conscripts and strelkovayya.

And ostheer only had landsers as the main combat infantry.
Is it okay if we add the volkssturm as the ostheers cannon fodder. I know it seems like a copy cat. But i think it will not break the mod's balance.

"I miss the Jagers" :P
Pls re add it and make  Gebirgsjager as a reward unit for it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:25:05 AM by mackerbryanee13 »

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 10:22:49 AM »
May I suggest something.
I noticed that the soviets have 2 main combat infantry. Conscripts and strelkovayya.

And ostheer only had landsers as the main combat infantry.
Is it okay if we add the volkssturm as the ostheers cannon fodder. I know it seems like a copy cat. But i think it will not break the mod's balance.

"I miss the Jagers" :P
Pls re add it and make  Gebirgsjager as a reward unit for it.
There was no Volkssturm on the Eastern Front. Volkssturm was utilized in the last stages of the war when the enemies breached the german borders.

Landsers are meant as mainline infantry for the Ostheer. It's a core concept that they are the only infantry unit the Ostheer fields.

Once more: the factions are not meant to include everything and anything that was ever used at any even so tiny point of the war on the Eastern Front. For each faction there is a selection units with certain gameplay roles. The aim is that soviets and ostheer are easy to pick up and overall fun to play, with refreshing new elements for the respective allies/axis side to provide gameplay alternatives to the existing Wehrmacht/PE and USA/Brits gameply.

Soviets and Ostheer are not meant to replace the factions but instead they're meant to complement them (i.e. strong self propelled tank hunters for allies, heavy tank buildable on allies side, on axis side mobile global healing operations, flame tanks, air strikes etc.).

That's why there will be no further random additions of units for the sake of adding units.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline PoliorcetE

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
hi all

nice change  :)
i'm curous....what about the brümmbar ?
can we see it again in future ?

A+
"S’il n’y avait pas la science, malheureux cloportes suintants d’ingratitude aveugle et d’ignorance crasse, s’il n’y avait pas la Science, combien d’entre nous pourraient profiter de leur cancer pendant plus de cinq ans ?"
Pierre Desproges