Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: German WW2 surface to air missle  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Mr.ious.Q

• Allied Commander
  • Guard
  • Yeah new upgrades
    • View Profile
German WW2 surface to air missle
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »

Designed by HASAG (Hugo Schneider AG) of Leipzig in 1944, the Luftfaust was produced in two different versions.
The first version, the Fliegerfaust A, had four 20 mm caliber barrels. These fired 20 mm projectiles weighting 90 g and containing 19 g of explosive, propelled by means of a small rocket.
The second version, the Fliegerfaust B ("Luftfaust") increased the length of the barrels, and added another 5 barrels, for a total of 9 barrels. The weapon had a total length of 150 cm and weighed 6.5 kg. First 4 rounds from every second barrel were fired immediately and the remaining five 0.1 second later to avoid damaging the projectiles themselves by the rockets' exhaust fumes and from interfering with their courses.
A six barrel 30 mm prototype was also constructed.
The Fliegerfaust was not a successful weapon because of its small effective range caused by too large dispersion of projectiles and the designed range of 500 meters was never attained. Although large orders for the weapon were placed in 1945, and with 10,000 launchers and 4 million rockets ordered, only 80 of these weapons were ever used in combat trials, in this case by a unit based at Saarbrücken.
Source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fliegerfaust/Luftfaust
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:47:50 AM by Mr.Q »
Who am i?

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: German WW2 surface to air missle
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »
Truthfully i would have thought that this belongs in the Eastern Front history section, cause its a historical thing.

I never liked this thing in the first place, and to me it was a considerable waste of resources, just like Hitler's want for the ME262 to be a fighter-bomber, instead of an air superiority fighter.

If I were those engineers I would have focused on a multi-barrel MG that they could use to stem the Red Tide. I would make it work similar to a Solar System model, with each MG on its own orbit (you would control this thing from a bunker), an you would adjust them to fire in differing directions to chop down as many soldiers as you could see from your periscope. Would work wonders if paired with a Panzerturm. But 'tis naught but flights of fancy :P

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
Another weapon that helped Allies to win a war.

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:27:20 PM »
Pretty much Paciat, pretty damn much

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
Early versions of the FM Stinger Launcher ;D. Made in Deutschland ^^

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
Hm. I thought it was called Fliegerfaust. btw Fliegerfaust 2 is used by the german Bundeswehr :P.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »
would have been a nice anti infantry weapon, not the best AA weapon because of the small caliber rounds and was unguided, so not a true missile

Offline Mr.ious.Q

• Allied Commander
  • Guard
  • Yeah new upgrades
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:15:45 AM »
You are right, they ( wikipedia) should have called it unguided AA rocket not missile.
Who am i?