Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Soviet Halftrack  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Kiwichris

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Soviet Halftrack
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
I don't know if this has been suggested before (sorry if it has) but does anyone think the Soviets need a halftrack? They don't have anything with transport capability and mobile reinforcment would be great. I suppose they have outposts but they are static and make up for not being able to make forward barracks' from garrisoned buildings. I dunno if the Soviets had their own halftracks but they had ones from the USA via lend lease, the same ones from vanilla CoH.

What do you guys think?

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Soviet Halftrack
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:54 AM »
Yup this has been mentioned and shot down longer than I've been on these forums. A Halftrack, while a sound and great idea on paper, actually closes a massive gap in the Soviet battle strategy, transport/mobile reinforcement.

TO be more blunt, its one of their biggest weaknesses - the lack of a non-doctrinal armored transport and it should remain such for good balance.

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
They have the doctrine to cover down this issue. And I think halftrack is also not needed as the outpost can serve as a 'very mobile' reinforcement center as you can build at almost all points (except some that are near to cliff or rivers).

Offline adognow

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
The US provided hundreds of thousands of trucks to the USSR, with hundreds of thousands more built by Soviet manufacturer GAZ.

I don't know, but motorization of Soviet troops played an important role in the spectacular Soviet victories later in the war (from Operation Bagration onwards) because infantrymen were able to move up with Soviet tanks which were striking deep into the German rear lines and cutting off retreat.

I always wondered if they would put a BA-series armored car into Eastern Front, but the BA series was not widespread as a troop transport.. Maybe they can put in a truck for the Soviet faction, since that seemed to be one of the most prevalent means of transporting Soviet infantry later in the war.

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »
About the historical aspect; Soviets used just a small number of us and british half tracks in front line services.
The standard tactic of "armored infantry" is the tank riding. So soviets were sure that this is best and most effective tactic for "armored infantry".

About the ingame aspect; I dont think that our red army need a transport vehicle in game. Most of the map are so small that you will take longer
to mount your infantry on trucks and drive to the target than moving your infantry without trucks.
And with foxholes and ZiS-Medic truck you can build up strong emplacements to retreat and reinforce your troops near the frontline. No one else is able
to do this - retreat near the frontline and heal near frontlines without any special costs or using an ability.

Out of my point of view:
No need for soviet transport vehicles.
May the force be with you.

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
The lack of a halftrack also gives a bit variety to the factions, with the soviets copying less of other factions

Though i would have liked to see a lend lease M15 CGMC, which was based on the M5 halftrack. That thing was a rather unique weapon

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
Reward unit for X Soviet LV? You can have your M3A1 Lend Lease halftrack, but no T70 to go with it.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

Offline Codename "Tiger"

• Balancer
  • Guard
  • Ostheer for Victory!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (German)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
Yeah maybe add an halftrack to Doctrines, maybe to Breakthrough, but there is no need.
And its no really Soviet unit, and the Ostheer didnt have any Italian/Rumanian Forces so no HT for SU is fair...