Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Return of the KV-85  (Read 6658 times)

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
Return of the KV-85
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:47:57 AM »
I as well as many other people, would love to see the return of the KV-85.
and i thought of an interesting way you could balance it back into EF.
What if you had a reward unit that was the KV-85, that replaced the ISU-152 just like the IS-3 does.
But instead the KV-85 could have the same stat's as the T-34/85 this would fit a different style of Soviet tank strategy, so instead of getting average tanks and a super heavy tank.
You could get more reasonable tanks for manpower fitting with large scale soviet assaults and I can see this being more fair for the KV-85 as it takes much more doctrinal points to get the heavy's on the right handside of the doctrine.
and if this still seams OP you could limit the number you can have in the field at a time to 3?
Embrace your Dreams

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Bob's your uncle, here we go!
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the KV-85
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
To be honest I would've been fine with it just being an upgrade similar to how the T-34 does it. Get the tank, do the 85mm gun research at the armoury, then upgrade each tank individually with a munitions cost (Much higher cost than the T-34's mind you to balance out it being a heavier tank).

I'd really like to keep the IS-3 replacing the ISU-152.
le stalin faec

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
I just really miss the KV-85, especially when i see it in the Breakthrough Assault Strategy doctrine picture but can't use it xc
Embrace your Dreams

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
maybe you can call in KV-1's then upgrade to KV-85's for 150muni?
Embrace your Dreams

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
maybe you can call in KV-1's then upgrade to KV-85's for 150muni?

150's a bit high, but I'd be fine with it.
le stalin faec

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Maybe we can include it, but the upgrade shall cost fuel and mp/ammo. We will need to discuss it, but it could work.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
Maybe we can include it, but the upgrade shall cost fuel and mp/ammo. We will need to discuss it, but it could work.

Maybe a higher MP/Fuel tax on an upgraded KV?
le stalin faec

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:40:51 PM »
The reasons it was removed were:

1) It is a totally different unit compared with KV-1.
2) The muni cost associated to the upgrade still makes it cheaper(you cannot make it cost more than 125MU because it would be too much), because it is a doctrinal call-in which doesn't need fuel so you can use that fuel to get T4 or some tech upgrades or some additional tanks.
3) It was easier to get.
4) It was an overkill because you already had the IS-3/ISU-152 and the Air Strike ability, besides the own tank arsenal from Soviets.

It could have a higher upkeep, however, that doesn't help to not get more tanks right after you get one of these... the upgrade absolutely needs to cost fuel, otherwise we will have the same problem of saving fuel for more tanks.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 06:04:38 AM »
how about you have it as a reward unit but to call it in it costs 600mp and 30fuel?
Embrace your Dreams

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
Reward unit for what? ???
Mors Indecepta

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 08:21:03 AM »

See, that's the thing. Honestly I'm still falling back on it being an upgrade for KV-1. Make it cost whatever would be balanced.
le stalin faec

Offline BffWithDEATH

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
you could have it as an optional reward unit to replace either the SU-85 or ISU-152 but cost something like 600mp and 30fuel to call in
or another way you could have it could be an upgrade for the KV-1 being something like 50fuel?

personally i think replacing the KV-1 call in with the KV-85 but making the KV-85 as 600mp and 30fuel is a good idea.
because from experience i have found the KV-1 next to competivly useless and so much more usefull to keep the SU-85
but bringing back the KV-85 call in but giving it a fuel charge also is much more competitive while not being overpowered because if your using KV-85's your not able to stash a massive amount of fuel for IS-2's
Embrace your Dreams

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »
An upgrade for the KV-1 sounds good to me. I just want some of the models to return that went poof with [can't remember the name of the patch that came about before the Steam patch]. E.g. the stuff for Challenge Mode.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
I personally also like the tank and our model is quite cool. But this tank doesn't fit our soviet faction at the moment. We already have so many different (heavy) tanks, and just (re-)adding tanks for the sake of it is not our policy anymore. We're not Blitzkrieg mod afterall.

Probably it'll return somewhere in the campaigns I guess.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
Well, why not add it but make the buff it gives not so large. Just make it give a 25% penetration bonus