Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: The Kind Commissar  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Coloneltrukkcrasha

• Ingenery
  • I'm your friendly neighborhood forum lurker!
    • View Profile
The Kind Commissar
« on: July 13, 2013, 03:22:05 AM »
Hi I love the mod and Ostheer but I was wondering about the commissar unit. Why doesn't he have an execute ability? Is there any plans to add this in the future? I think it would fit the Propaganda Doctrine's whole "Not one step back!" theme. it could increase nearby infantry fire rate or something. As I said love the mod keep up the good work :)
I'ma lurkin' and a smirkin' so you know my fingers workin'!

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Bob's your uncle, here we go!
    • View Profile
Re: The Kind Commissar
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
Yeah, this bugged me too. Commisars use to have this before when they were call in infantry squads, I'd like this back.
le stalin faec

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
The doctrine Not One Step back is not used as a survival tactics, such as attacking a MG or emplacements with only infantry. Now Commissar is like an Lieutenant or Captain in Brits, where the skill of executes is not there anymore.

I don't often use the execute skill but always as a cannon fodder due to its 0 upkeep and better damage compared to conscripts.

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »
We're looking for useful bonuses to be applied on an execute ability. Probably it will be included in one of the next patches.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline Xenobane

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »
It's good to hear that. EF doesn't need a badass in a red coat that with one shot can turn a bunch of rednecks into killing-machines (yes, I'm looking at you, Dawn of War).

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Bob's your uncle, here we go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »
It's good to hear that. EF doesn't need a badass in a red coat that with one shot can turn a bunch of rednecks into killing-machines (yes, I'm looking at you, Dawn of War).

You don't seem to understand 40k's Commisars, but moving on. I'd be fine with breaking surpression or firing faster with rifles, something to make him worth keeping around and shooting your own guys.
le stalin faec

Offline tours852

• Ambassadors
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
Well, I'm the one hate US Cold War Stereotypes, like the one we can see on CoH 2 campaigns(lot of people even calling CoH 2 developers "Nazi")...
but honestly, changes on Penal Troops are quiet unnatural.
I think propaganda strategy upgrade should add Commissar squad leader onto Conscripts, not calling in a separated officer unit.

And I think if you don't mean disrespect against Soviet Sacrifice, Penal troops and Conscripts are to be separated.
Those who commited crime against motherland(of course, they are both innocent and guilty...)and new recruits is basically same unit? it's kind of weird, maybe disrespectful.

I think Commissar should be Squad leader add-on, and Penal Troops are separated cannon fodder unit which can be called in.

And this is what I think Penal Troops should be.

- It should be CP-using skill, which is calling Penal Troops into the field.
 - EXTREMELY Cheap and short cooldown. Can be easily called in.
 - Good for close-combat, or as cannon fodder.
 - Have Charge ability, or something similar. Can break Suppression with it.
 - Cannot be reinforced at all, or very hard(time, manpower usage...) to be reinforced. (So player can actually use them as Cannon fodder)

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
CoH's core game mechanic is about unit preservation, so what's the point of having a manpower sink that does not get vet and only feeds the enemy exp points?

Offline tours852

• Ambassadors
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:53:22 AM »
CoH's core game mechanic is about unit preservation, so what's the point of having a manpower sink that does not get vet and only feeds the enemy exp points?

hmm, definitely you have a point on that. I agree....grinding manpower only to break through is not better choice.
But what about penal troops "upgrade"? I think it's bit weird. Still I believe penal troops should be separated from Conscripts.

I think they should be call-in unit, being treated in much more 'Soviet' way. If Conscripts are just poor recruits drafted from their home in national emergency, Penal troops should give player clear impression that they are being punished by forced suicidal mission.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I suggest.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:52:59 AM by tours852 »

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »

hmm, definitely you have a point on that. I agree....grinding manpower only to break through is not better choice.
But what about penal troops "upgrade"? I think it's bit weird. Still I believe penal troops should be separated from Conscripts.

I think they should be call-in unit, being treated in much more 'Soviet' way. If Conscripts are just poor recruits drafted from their home in national emergency, Penal troops should give player clear impression that they are being punished by forced suicidal mission.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I suggest.
Order 227 issued Soviet Commissars to create penal battalions. Either from arrested soldiers or from regular troops to get the necessary amounts of penal units. "Not a Step back!" is based on Order 227 and thus enables you to degrade conscripts into penal battalions. Gameplay wise it enables you to use conscripts as your mainline infantry way longer into the game compared to regular conscripts, also Soviets have so many infantry units already and giving them more doesn't help them.

Offline tours852

• Ambassadors
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:32 AM »
Order 227 issued Soviet Commissars to create penal battalions. Either from arrested soldiers or from regular troops to get the necessary amounts of penal units. "Not a Step back!" is based on Order 227 and thus enables you to degrade conscripts into penal battalions. Gameplay wise it enables you to use conscripts as your mainline infantry way longer into the game compared to regular conscripts, also Soviets have so many infantry units already and giving them more doesn't help them.

So basically it is not upgrade, but "Degrade", right?
Hmm...that's possible, but still, I feel unnatural. What about having both "innocent" Conscripts squad and penal troops can be called in?

And...back to the subject, I think current Commissar seems OK. Personally hates western propaganda of Soviet officers murdering its soldiers, so I don't like commissar shooting his own men just to break suppression.
and its skills make propaganda strategy unique, which is focused on upgrading Conscripts.

Offline Partyzan1917cz

• Beta Testers
  • Ingenery
  • Not one step back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
And what about make it like when the conscripts once retreat then they can be ,,upgraded´´ to Shtrafnyie? Like they violated order 227 so they will be send to Penal batalion? I heard that soldiers of Penal batalions didnt have the red stars on caps. I think it can be cool after upgrade to change their caps. But thats just idea, i know that you have enought work with campaign etc. And something dont allow me to sleep...why they get after upgrade PPS-43?
Ingame: Partyzan1917
a)"Tоварищи! девочки привезли!"
b)"Урааааа!"
a)"Oни были сыфилидны..."
b)"Уууy..."
a)"oни были советские!!!"
b)"Урааааа!!!"

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
well, pps43 are defensive weapons With low accuracy on the move. the 3 PPS make Them better in combat than just the regular upgrade  to full rifles.