Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Altered Game Mode  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Magyar

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Altered Game Mode
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
I understand that the Eastern Front mod is being designed to be a balanced and competitive 'expansion' for CoH's gameplay, however, is there any possibility that an altered game mode could be added that is just meant for fun, but perhaps more suited for the Eastern Front? Namely what I have in mind is expanding upon the current mode that vastly expands the player's population count. Is there any possibility that another mode could be added that does that, but also significantly increases the amount of resources the players receive? I know it sounds silly and newbish, but sometimes it would be enjoyable - purely for fun, not in any competitive tournaments - to build up massive armies, but the current resource flows and upkeep prevent that possibility, even without there being a popcap. This is purely meant for newby fun, but I would like to support it by reiterating that this is the Eastern Front we are talking about, whose battlefields were significantly different than the battlefields of Normandy. Therefore seeing massive German and Soviet forces would not be historically inaccurate, even if its not faithful to the flavour of vCoH's gameplay.

Resource flow would not need to be so rapid that unit losses would be negligible and easily replaced, but some balance could be achieved that would allow the player to construct a large army without needing to wait dozens of minutes to do so.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:36:14 PM by Magyar »

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
Re: Altered Game Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 12:21:59 AM »
Please keep in mind that your suggestion will cause a lof of performance problems in CoH EF.
And by the way; both of your ideas are already "implemented".
EF has a "no popcap" mode in skirmish and multiplayer and for "more resources" you can inform
yourself about the "cheat mod" for CoH. EF is compatible with this mod ;)
May the force be with you.

Offline The Soldier

• Developer
  • Commissar
  • Shock Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:10:22 AM »
I believe you can add a " -cheat" to the end of the target in an EF shortcut to get the Cheat mod activate, although that might just be the dev version.

Nonetheless, there is a new gamemode coming in the future that requires you to defend a town with whatever resources you have.  It was pulled a few versions ago to go through some fixing and additions, and now it's getting close to a completed version.  Not sure when it'll be ready, though.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
~Erwin Rommel

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 01:24:48 AM »
I think the cheatmode.scar file is not included in the mod, so you will need to find it by yourself.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Magyar

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
What is the cheatmode.scar file for?