Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Eastern Front not working on Steam (right now)  (Read 36362 times)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Eastern Front not working on Steam (right now)
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:38:20 AM »
Hello guys,

Sorry for the silence occurred last week about the mod. Since the last couple of weeks Relic released a patch that broke the use of custom DLLs and custom factions, so Eastern Front no longer works with the Steam version.

We have planned to make a new version compatible with 2.602, but we have been waiting for Relic's answer about our current issues, because, as everyone know, we have been greenlit and this would mean we cannot release it on Steam at all. Since Relic no longer makes the patches for Company of Heroes, but a company named Smoking Gun Interactive, we think there was some sort of miscomunication. So, we will take a decision after we have Relic's answer.

Anyway, when we have Relic's answer, we will update this announcement. But Eastern Front is not going to be stopped, at worse case scenario, we would just release it for the last retail version (or the "regular" Steam version).

Thanks for your support,

Archaic Entertainment Team
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:15:52 AM by Burro »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline KarolR87

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Front not working on Steam (right now)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »
Hey, it's great news that you will continue yours masterpiece but I have one question. My first experience with CoH were with not original game version. CoH made a impression on me so I decided to supported producer and buy orginal but it's key for steam, I don't have retail CD's" CoH; CoH:OF and CoH:ToV. I have on my steam library orginal keys for CoH; CoH:OF and CoH:ToV. If you decided to return to last retail version what should I do? 

Greetings
KarolR87

Offline Dreamerbg

• Balancer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
    • EF mod stream channel :)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
Just use the key in steam to activate a product and you will receive retail version (2.602) and the new steam version.

Offline KarolR87

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
Do you mean install via steam CoH:ToV and use keys for unlock invasion of Normandy and Opposing Fronts campaigns, right?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:39:41 PM by KarolR87 »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:01:50 PM »
You can use ToV on Steam too, the regular version, to play EF(however I think campaigns appear locked). It is not necessary to install the retail version, unless you really want to do it.

Just that instead of using the launcher, you would need to go to the library and in the ToV properties, add the following command lines "-dev -mod Eastern_Front".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:06:13 PM by Blackbishop »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »
If this could be the possible workaround, means I need to downgrade it to 2.6 and to get he CD key from Steam right (Though have no idea where to search for the key as they did not mention it for digital downloads from Steam).

Hopefully there will be a solution for it as missing the game so much XD

Offline cattlekiller

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
Awesome news, I had started getting used to the Ostheer when that patch hit.
Big thanks for this mod its truly great., cant wait til we can play again.

Offline Birdi

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:28:37 AM »
You wouldn't believe how relieved me and my clan feel right now. We really appreciate the huge amount of time and dedication you guys and and have put into making this amazing mod. Thank you for all your hard work, and keeping us updated. I can't wait to see Eastern Front pop up on my screen again.  :)

Offline 82ndtrooper

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »
You can use ToV on Steam too, the regular version, to play EF(however I think campaigns appear locked). It is not necessary to install the retail version, unless you really want to do it.

Just that instead of using the launcher, you would need to go to the library and in the ToV properties, add the following command lines "-dev -mod Eastern Front".

I have tried everything to get this to work.  can you explain better how to do this ?

I have installed the regular version of  coh and opposing fronts and ToV from steam and installed the EF mod in that folder and updated it  then i go to my library and  go to tov properties and have put  the command lines in the box that says "set launch options"  and have tried it several different ways  but either the game starts with no EF or the game wont start at all.

what am I doing wrong ?

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
Are you sure you installed Eastern Front in the "Company of Heroes" folder and not in any other different path?
Mors Indecepta

Offline 82ndtrooper

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »
Are you sure you installed Eastern Front in the "Company of Heroes" folder and not in any other different path?

yes I manually set the path to the Company of heroes folder instead of the "company of heroes steam version".  I also manually set the path for all the updates and updated EF till the last update.

I did set the path just to the Company of Heroes folder and did not go inside the first folder.

-----> D: steam library/steam apps/common/Company of Heroes

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
It is probably my mistake, I forgot to add one underscore, I just fixed it: -dev -mod Eastern_Front
Mors Indecepta

Offline 82ndtrooper

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 08:16:21 PM »
ohh  thank you  very much

Offline 82ndtrooper

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »
well it almost works.

now it goes all the way to "press any key to start the game' and when you hit a key it crashes to desktop

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 02:03:53 AM »
I guess you are playing the lattest version of EF on the old CoH. We haven't released a patch to make it compatible, so you can only play EF up to 1.7 with it.
Mors Indecepta