Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: A suggestion  (Read 2402 times)

Offline LCH98

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
A suggestion
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
Hello,

I have been thinking about a map for a little while.
Sadly, my mapmaking skills are non-existant, and i don't really have the time or patience to learn how to properly make maps.

I have worked out the idea a bit, and made a drawing (i put it in the attachments as a JPEG)

Basically, it's a combination map, designed around 3 area's of combat:
-River crossing Combat
-Urban Combat
-Open ground

As you can see on the picture (Sorry about my drawing skills, they're about as good as my mapping), the left and right sides of the map are open  with a 'island' in the middle, on which is a town. (I only drew two buildings, but i meant to have more on the map)

Bases A and B are connected with a road, meaning a speed up for AFVs, but negative cover for infantry, which can give advantages to both attacker and defender.

Bases C and D are connected with grassland (maybe a dirtroad), with a hill in the middle, which is surrounded by a small creek, giving negative cover to anyone who tries to cross. Obviously, this means that the flag in between C and D is on top of the hill.
This might seem OP to defenders, but it also means that if the hill is captured by infiltrating units (Paratroopers, Fällschirmjagers, Partisans, etc) players A and B can seriously disrupt players C and D.

Bases A and C are connected with a road, with a small hill in the middle, with the VP on top. Controlling the Hill can be game-changing, of course.

Bases B and D are connected with mainly grasslands, maybe a dirt road. This area can be easily taken, as it has few obstacles preventing tank movement, but it is as easily turned into a killing zone by MGs and AT-guns.

The City is where the fun comes to life. The High-resource points and a VP mean that controlling this City-Island is vital to Victory. However, the enemy knows this, too.
I'm doubting between making all the bridges destroyable, or just the East and West bridge.

The main point of this map is to make the battle as hard and as dangerous as can be. Taking all the VPs, and maybe even the South Hill are to be very costly in men and material.

The layout causes the players to make a difficult choice:
-Either you have to go through the sides, but risk a lot of losses, and even the possibility of a full stalemate

-Or go through the city, which can be a long and bloody process

I drew it as a 2v2, though of course a larger variation would be possible for 4v4.

Thank you for reading all of this and please comment.

Sincerely,
LCH98.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:03:14 PM by LCH98 »

Offline beagletank

• Mapper
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
Sounds interesting, but at the moment it is impossible to use the WB of Classic CoH.
The annoying height mapping issue wasn´t solved yet.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »
Mine works, I can't say why though :P

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline LCH98

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »
Sounds interesting, but at the moment it is impossible to use the WB of Classic CoH.
The annoying height mapping issue wasn´t solved yet.

Mine works, I can't say why though :P

My worldbuilder works as well, i've started making a pre-alpha idea of this map, though my mapping skills aren't even close to good.

I'm using the steam version by the way.

Offline beagletank

• Mapper
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 12:32:01 PM »
I have the same problem like before. Even after reinstalling Windows 7.
And DX9 is definitely activated. Damn Relic.
 :P