Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Minor Tips THREAD  (Read 2471 times)

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Minor Tips THREAD
« on: September 30, 2014, 05:15:56 AM »
This thread is based around giving small tips or tricks here and there that may seem small but could be a life changer. The list goes on and on, but to get started here are a few I have on the top of my head.

-Click repeatedly the location for where you want your squad to EXACTLY go instead of just one command. You want to guide your troops through cover and not "accidentally walking out in the open road".

-Click repeatedly behind a tank when you want to retreat it in reverse, facing front armor. It takes practice and getting used to, but if you don't you face the chance of the tank doing a 180, exposing its rear and wasting time turning.

-Always capture in cover, move a squad into the nearest cover (such as a sandbag, wall, bush) beside a fuel/mp/munition point, then order them to capture. Much safer than capturing out in an open road.

-Be aware of retreat paths. If the enemy is covering the retreat path of an important unit, then relocate to a different spot of the map so their retreat path would be different, so your troops would not be forced to retreat through enemy fire.

-You can listen through the fog of war, this is very useful as to identifying earlier on where enemy motorcycles, kettenkrads, jeeps, or brens are roughly located. Same concept applies to vehicles later on such as tanks (be sure to recognize the sounds each different vehicle makes)

-If one guy from a squad jumps out of cover, say behind a wall, then reposition it again behind the wall so the guy will jump back behind the wall to further restore previous defense bonuses (just because the shield is green doesn't mean ALL troops inside the squad have the defense bonuses)

-If you plan on capturing a point in cover, build a sandbag behind the point and immedietly order your men to capture. (leaves troops in green cover while capturing point, ideal for engineers, pioneers, volks, etc)

-When engaged in vehicle warfare, there are situations where you want to maximize damage to an enemy when it comes to targeting priorities. Say you have a panther against 2 M8's, one with 60% health and damaged engine(needs 2 shots to take down), and the other 30% health (needs 1 shot to take down). You have two options at this point:

*Kill the M8 with damaged engine, leaving the other to escape (most tempting from first glance)

OR

*chase the M8 down, destroying it, then return to the crippled M8. This means you have effectively killed 2 M8s without letting any escape, making logical use of targeting.

(Note this doesn't just apply to M8's, it can apply to any other vehicle as well like M10s, panthers, shermans, etc, make sure you know how to prioritize when it comes to these situations to maximize damage along with vehicle crits)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:28:47 AM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Tips THREAD
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
Pretty useful I would say.
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.