Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Is this still active i have an idea going forward..  (Read 3087 times)

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Is this still active i have an idea going forward..
« on: November 22, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
As i have posted many times i am plagued by a friend who always goes brits and if he is not wasted i don't stand a chance with ost due to one simple tactic that can be used.
I have always thought what might be needed was a offensive weapon to deal with this but then i started thinking laterally and
thought,
what if i had a decoy?
maybe a great variety addition to OST especially the fortress doctrine where units can be camoed, lure them into a trap with decoys, i was thinking pak-40 decoy cos they are pretty susceptible to the brits bucket bomb of the avre
 any thoughts?

chaosval3

Re: Is this still active i have an idea going forward..
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »
The trick to dealing with Brits is to be aggressive, especially early on. You should focus more on spearheading your assaults with flamers and smgs. The Brits will almost always beat you in long range combat. If you do enough damage early on, it should be your game. Landser+mp40+ Flamer P3+ 2-3 flamer sturmpios+ HT is basically au revoir Brits. Focus fire any infantry sections, force them off and outcap/harass Brits so they cannot setup their trucks efficiently. Snipers should do well too. Pzb 39 is great versus light vehicles such as the Bren Carrier or the Stuart. As pzb 39 and mp40 come together, it's basically a must against Brits imo. Grenades can be nice too. Generally however, the soldier armour of Infantry Sections doesn't like fire in particular, just like PE.
Against the AVRE, you should have Tier 4 by the time this guy comes out. Your doctrinal tank should make short work of it provided you keep it mobile and don't just take shots. If not, Pak 40 is risky against it as the AVRE is designed to clear static emplacements and units. Marder II is a much safer option. AP rounds should do the trick. Tier II is probably a bad idea against Brits, unless you like to make things hard for yourself :P.
This worked for me last time I played against Brits though I admit that it has been a while.

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:59 PM »
The trick to dealing with Brits is to be aggressive, especially early on. You should focus more on spearheading your assaults with flamers and smgs. The Brits will almost always beat you in long range combat. If you do enough damage early on, it should be your game. Landser+mp40+ Flamer P3+ 2-3 flamer sturmpios+ HT is basically au revoir Brits. Focus fire any infantry sections, force them off and outcap/harass Brits so they cannot setup their trucks efficiently. Snipers should do well too. Pzb 39 is great versus light vehicles such as the Bren Carrier or the Stuart. As pzb 39 and mp40 come together, it's basically a must against Brits imo. Grenades can be nice too. Generally however, the soldier armour of Infantry Sections doesn't like fire in particular, just like PE.
Against the AVRE, you should have Tier 4 by the time this guy comes out. Your doctrinal tank should make short work of it provided you keep it mobile and don't just take shots. If not, Pak 40 is risky against it as the AVRE is designed to clear static emplacements and units. Marder II is a much safer option. AP rounds should do the trick. Tier II is probably a bad idea against Brits, unless you like to make things hard for yourself :P.
This worked for me last time I played against Brits though I admit that it has been a while.

not really anything to do with the topic mate and your tactics won't work on bigger maps where you spend more time trying to find his trucks/men.

The post here is about a new unit for OST that will cost nothing to add, throws a whole new dimension to game and is a unique concept amongst COH

chaosval3

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »
Wow wow slow down mate haha.

I guess I thought the initial issue were the Brits and the AVRE in particular as I read: I am having trouble beating my friend etc..

My bad then, sorry. The bigger the maps, the more the Brits feel at home. They don't suffer from isolated sectors as much and their artillery loves big maps. I suggest you play smaller maps. I don't know what you consider big, but I'd stay away from 'Large' category maps like Lyon in 1v1.

I don't know what you would like to see as a 'decoy'. I doubt a decoy has anything to do with agressive power. Your capitalisation on the engagement is what delivers the pain.

As for adding units, we are quite hesitant to add more apart from doctrinal ones. OH and SU already have tons of units. I do like abilities such as the decoy flare stuff. Mind games are always fun to play in my opinion. I think you will need to specify on the 'decoy' thing. What exactly? What will the faction benefit from specifically? And last but not least, is it even doable/codable?

I hope I could have been of service to you. Peace mate!

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Wow wow slow down mate haha.

I guess I thought the initial issue were the Brits and the AVRE in particular as I read: I am having trouble beating my friend etc..

My bad then, sorry. The bigger the maps, the more the Brits feel at home. They don't suffer from isolated sectors as much and their artillery loves big maps. I suggest you play smaller maps. I don't know what you consider big, but I'd stay away from 'Large' category maps like Lyon in 1v1.

I don't know what you would like to see as a 'decoy'. I doubt a decoy has anything to do with agressive power. Your capitalisation on the engagement is what delivers the pain.

As for adding units, we are quite hesitant to add more apart from doctrinal ones. OH and SU already have tons of units. I do like abilities such as the decoy flare stuff. Mind games are always fun to play in my opinion. I think you will need to specify on the 'decoy' thing. What exactly? What will the faction benefit from specifically? And last but not least, is it even doable/codable?

I hope I could have been of service to you. Peace mate!

Sorry i should of put more time into that response, did not intend to come across like it did on re-reading am very harassed at this end :(

Yeah to explain in more detail,
The way i saw it was the decoy ability could be added to the fortress doctrine and would take no art work as we already have the units skins etc, just set the decoys as new models with 0 firepower and and a tenth the cost, even maybe adjust the hitpoints?
If any unit could be replicated as a decoy would be even better forcing the enemy to avoid areas where he sees a mass of units or even better misdirection forcing him to attack an area where he thinks there is little firepower
as i said initially i was thinking the idea was ambush style, Picture a couple of decoy pak 40 units in plain view, the avre heads straight for them not realising/spotting the camoed landsers or even better a panther with AT weapons that are now behind him..

chaosval3

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
Hmm, so you create a duplicate unit with no combat abilities that will draw the fire away from your real force, you say? Hmm, I am not sure what to think of this. In my opinion, Fortress Doc is pretty neat as it is. I am also not sure how we could implement such a thing. I mean, Brits were known for their operation with dummies, I forgot the name, Rommel should have more info on this, but I don't know about the Axis( if they used such in relation to their military doctrine). Again, Rommel, help me out here bro haha! Personally, I can't see what this ability will bring to the table. I am not against it, but I don't know if land decoys are possible in the form of Paks. I guess you can just place a mine near a decrewed AT gun, but you hardly see this as the AT gun is way too useful to not be used. However, flares could be an option if we are going for a Luftwaffe-styled reward doctrine.

(PS; it almosts sounds like these hologram abilities in Warhammer 40k or Starcraft haha).

Short version: I doubt land decoys are worth the effort, accurate nor needed. We have more options with aerial abilities, I think.

Peace!

Offline maddogb

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:59 PM »
the more i think about it the more i like it,
 it really works well with the OST fortress and its camo abillities in that placing an ambush is useless unless you have something to draw them into the ambush, especially on larger maps where any route will do, my friend has learnt about the stealth ability of landsers and tends to drive(micro) his assault squads off the roads.