Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: !READ FIRST!: using the Ostheer suggestions forum  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
!READ FIRST!: using the Ostheer suggestions forum
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »
Some notes to post at this forum:

Important information; RELEASE DATE -> Done when its done!

1.) Please use the "search" function of the forum!
Here are lots of senseless threads with "one unit" ideas
or half doctrine idea and so on.
The community can't read all this stuff so please use the
search function before u start a new thread!

2.) For single unit or ability ideas and discussions
i have open special separated threads.

Please use this threads first!

3.) For workout concept ideas start a new topic.
Please watch out for the topic name. Good is e.g.
"Ostheerconcept by ( your name/nick ).

Please don't post just doctrines or just one or two building ideas.
A new faction needs much more than one or two things!

NOTE:  Please make a clear concept! Structure the concept!
Keep the reader in mind when u make a concept! When the reader cant read or understand your concept you wouldnt get ANY feedback ;)

Note: When u rework your concept and
present it in a new thread so please send ME a PN
because old version will be closed for clean up the
Ostheer suggestions board! Thank you very much!

Unit suggestions Thread:
click here

Ability suggestions Thread:
click here

General suggestions Thread:
click here

"Tips and ideas" - a text by wordsmith:
Some tips would be useful for everyone who wants to create own concept. Because despite original ideas some texts are hard to read or some concepts are not well thought through (no offence). I know it is hard to summarize ideas and it is even harder to present these ideas to others so they would understand them. Here are my general suggestions:

1. Study the forum for other suggestions and concepts and following discussion, this way you avoid posting some dull ideas or something which was posted before.

2. If you want to present only some ideas you don't have to create a whole concept for those. To create own concept requires quite lot of work. I don't want to scare somebody but if you want your concepts to be "complete" I strongly advise to put some hard thinking and researching into it. Otherwise it would be better to just write some ideas and put them into already created topics for:

--> Lord Rommel - Abilities suggestions
--> Lord Rommel - Units suggestions
--> Lord Rommel - General Ostheer  suggestions (veterancy, tiers, buildings...)

3. Think about a simple unique idea first and then build your concept and units around it. Not vice-versa.  It is same as for example other factions were build:

- PE - idea of having vehicles only faction, making it very mechanized
- Brit - idea of trucks instead building HQ but then having emplacements instead of units
- Russian - idea of purchasing abilities globally for ammo and then use it without ammo cost
- Ostheer - idea of making switchable production buildings forcing player to strategically plan in advance which units he will need (Lord Rommel)
- Ostheer - idea of making veterancy special for every unit, receiving different abilities (Paciat)
- Ostheer - idea of making 2 different teching lines forcing player to play strategically (Venoxxis)
- Ostheer - idea of making Panzers more valuable (with lost of Panzer player lost some fuel income)  but available sooner then Allies (Wordsmith)

4. Try to imagine how you play your own proposed concept. This requires quite good experience and knowledge of CoH but is very good for developing unit combinations and abilities along with the doctrines and balance.

5. Doctrines - behind every doctrine there is some main idea. When proposing doctrines try first to imagine this idea and then build the doctrinal abilities around it. In some concepts doctrinal abilities are not related to each other within one doctrine. It could be everything possible like:

- offensive, defensive, territory control, resource control , infantry, mechanized, armor, artillery, buildings, propaganda, engineers, special forces, maneuver combat, close combat, long range combat, etc...
There is very good article for doctrine developing, I strongly advise to read it firts too:

--> Nubrannosaurus - Creation Process Tips and Theories

6. Think about balance. As previous this requires some experience with game, but in general  at least compare your units and doctrines with existing factions to have some feeling of balance.

7. Make your text readable. Forum allows to code some text colors or text size - use it! No one will read long plain text.

8. Some graphics will not hurt, especially when explaining building or tiers. I use MS  Powerpoint or Word to create block diagrams for example, then just export it as picture and save to some media databank. This way you can present it on forum for others.

9. Enjoy it! :) it is important to have fun because it is a game, if you not enjoy it then don't do it.

Hope this text helps a little. Good luck, have fun!
( Thanks wordsmith for this text! )

Thank u very much!
This will help to structurer and clean up this suggestions
forum!

Lord Rommel - EF german historian
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:50:21 PM by Lord Rommel »
May the force be with you.