Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Courland Map-Pack  (Read 4640 times)

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
  • MG42: 1200 rounds of fun for the whole family!
    • View Profile
    • Mediterranean Mod Sub-forum
Courland Map-Pack
« on: June 25, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »
Hello Boys! I'm ba-aaack! :P

I'm starting on a new mini map-pack as a way to re-reintroduce myself to the world-builder, and get some practice happening in advance of starting work on maps for my own project.
To that effect, I have a set of maps lined up, covering the full spectrum of 1-vs-1 to 4-vs-4, all based on the Courland region of modern Latvia, from Riga in the east, to Liepaja in the west, and all the farmland and forest in between.

Only basic 'concepts' for now, but I'll be updating this thread with each map in order as I go. First of the bat? A simple 1-vs-1 'crossroads town' style map: "Saldus"

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Re: Courland Map-Pack
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:06:24 PM »
Okay... before I even START... 'Stupid question time'...

The world-builder won't let me even SAVE my maps... How do I do that now that its the whole 'relaunch' version (I've gone into the whole ww2/scenarios/ folder and all that, but it still keeps generating the same "Outside of all know 'scenarios' folders" error.

Very frustrating understandably,

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 01:45:46 AM »
Nice, look forward to playing on them!

About the error, sorry but I don't have a clue, it's been a good while since I touched Worldbuilder myself.

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »
A google search of the error brought up this, I think you might find the answer here
http://steamcommunity.com/app/228200/discussions/0/846956740679719117/

And if you need any tutorials for mapmaking or the worldbuilder user manual, check out the mapmaking section here
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/wiki/moddingtutorials

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »
I actually opened up an old map in WB and get the same error when I try to save. That Steam discussion didn't help in the slightest, the guy fixed it by reinstalling CoH :P

Also, I dunno if this is just me but WB is shitting itself on my machine, the freezing and lag is going to make editing any maps utter hell.

I'd actually like to rework Kharkov slightly since me and Ape played a 2v2 yesterday and the map really doesn't have that much in the way of resources.
Maybe the file system of the non-relaunch version of WB works better, I'll reinstall to test.

EDIT -

Yep, the non-relaunch version of WB works flawlessly, no save errors, no lag.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:07:56 PM by Steve 'Burro' M. »

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
Soooo... Go and re-instal the non-reboot version of the game and use THAT version of the WB instead...? Oh well, sounds like a 'no choice' situation.

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline Conor 'burton' W.

• Developer
  • Guard
  • Peoples' Modding Commissariat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
I might be too late on this, but I had a problem like that with a very easy solution - open up the registry editor and make sure your paths match up correctly. For me, it was looking in an old install directory.

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »
Soooo... Go and re-instal the non-reboot version of the game and use THAT version of the WB instead...? Oh well, sounds like a 'no choice' situation.

~JD

That's what I've done and it's worked so far (even if the map I've loaded is making WB crash every 10 minutes).

The file paths for relaunch WB seem to have fixed themselves, but it's performance is still all out of a whack. I'm guessing old WB don't like SSD's much.

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 01:58:41 AM »
Hmm... patched then?

I guess I'll have to make a point of trying both versions again. But at least I don't have the extra complication of the whole SSD thing... I don't have one... ^^;

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 03:10:01 AM »
Okay - So I've had to 'revert' to the 'old version' of game and WB... But finally I can actually save my work as I go!

So, after much delay, I can start posting some of the actual plans I had. First of which is a simple 'crossroads town' 1-vs-1 map called "Saldus" - It's a real place ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saldus ), and is situated on a (roughly) east-west road that quite likely was, at least at some points, used as an easily definable 'front line' during the battles of the 'Courland Pocket'. The attached image is of the location in real-life today - and while several 'creative liberties' will be taken for gameplay reasons (such as scale for starters), it will (as the annotations should indicate) influence the final map design and layout quiet heavily.

'lore' wise, the default Axis start point is actually the base in the NW, and while it will have some hints of theming to suit, I don't intend to 'force' is by any means.

Finally, Here is a rough WiP of the description that I want to have accompany the map:
February, 1944... The Bolsheviks have us cut of after their offensive at Libau. Command has ordered us to hold the line, but we don't even know where 'the line' is anymore. So we are being sent to a small farming town named 'Saldus' to secure it, and the major east-west transit route it sits on. No doubt the Reds will want it for the same reason...
~ MedMod Dev

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »
An early 'update' for you all! The image is of a raised farmhouse amid flooded fields that serves as one of the VPs (The wall give great 'overwatch' over the east-west road as it exits the western side of the map - there is also a fuel point there. So the site clearly has tactical value. Similarly good defensive positions will exist at the other side of the little footbridge which allows access to the site from the north without forcing players to go through the negative cover of the fields). Its still not 100% done yet of course, still some more 'detailing' I can do, some extra splats and such... I am definitely open to suggestions though (asking now means a better end result after all!).

~JD
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:54:59 AM by jonarus_drakus »
~ MedMod Dev

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »
Sorry for the late answer, I wasn't around the last few days :/
Looks promising! It's good to see people are still mapping 11 years after CoH's initial release!

On the error: Sometime the folder to save your CoH1 maps has changed from the My Documents path to the respective one in the CoH1 root directory, so it's best to save your maps in:

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes Relaunch\WW2\Data\Scenarios\MP

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 01:35:48 AM »
Dammit Man! You're making me feel old!
But I don't really have much choice - I have to get back into the ol' WB for my own mod project! Figured I get some practice and feedback from a team more experienced than myself before I started committing to maps for said project (I'd drop a link - I recently set up a 'mapping' section and everything - But I'm not sure if that'd be cool...).

As for that 'error' - Unfortunately, I already tried that and it didn't work... It seems to be a glitch with the relaunch WB altogether... Fortunately I still have my 'origional' game there, and it's WB works fine. I'll just have to 'convert' it later on.

Anyway, another 'update' pic:
~ MedMod Dev