Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Cannot install COH Eastern Front from Steam  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Enps

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Cannot install COH Eastern Front from Steam
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »
I can't seem to install the Eastern Front mod via Steam because I "Don't own a version of the base game".

My problem seems to be that I don't own "Company of Heroes", I do only own "Company of Heroes (New Steam Version)" and Steam therefore doesn't allow me to install the game. I've played the mod successfully before by downloading it from the EF website, so what is going on?

Picture of the situation:

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot install COH Eastern Front from Steam
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »
Unfortunately, fixing that would be up to Valve(for their support team), we can't do anything about it.

Perhaps verifying the integrity of the game?
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline BullNZ

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:53:32 AM »
I have the exact same issue. Been in contact with Steam support, after taking screenshots of my library proving ownership etc, all I got was:

"Steam does not support workshop or custom content, you will need to contact the creators about this issue"

I have narrowed the issue down to the fact we only have Company Of Heroes (New Steam Version). Whereas most have both Company Of Heroes and the New Steam Version - the DLC says it is only available for the vanilla version, not for the (New Steam Version). Which we would have to pay for again to get it in our library.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:00:08 AM by BullNZ »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
Well, the issue is on them though. If you own only ToV, OF or registered a key for a compilation of the games like the Anthology version... then you are out of luck.

You need to own the vanilla CoH or at least have registered the DVD copy of the vanilla CoH standalone game in Steam.

Otherwise you need to buy it. Obviously a 100% Valve's/Steam fault situation.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline BullNZ

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
I persisted with Steam support, and got this reply back today.

We've received reports from other players experiencing similar errors. We currently don't have a fix at this time, but we are investigating the issue.

Along with reports submitted directly to Support, The Steam team uses a number of community sources to help investigate the frequency and severity of issues like this. I would encourage you to search for the issue and post about it in one of the more active Steam community hubs, as other users may be experiencing the same thing.

Official Steam Feedback
Official Steam Help
Steam Subreddit

Again, I am sorry that we do not have a fix for you at this time. I recommend opting into the Steam Beta in the meantime to make sure Steam receives all updates as soon as they're available.

Steam Support   
Brian

Offline BullNZ

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
I assume now that its on Steam Store page, we can't simply download the required files and place them in our COH game? As OP had stated, the mod worked fine on our versions of COH before it was integrated in Steam

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
Why you wouldn't? You can also add in the command line from the COH NSV the parameters to run the Steam version of EF instead of using the EF entry on the library... however, you won't get achievements and you will be shown as playing COH NSV instead of COH EF.
Mors Indecepta

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
  • MG42: 1200 rounds of fun for the whole family!
    • View Profile
    • Mediterranean Mod Sub-forum
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:50:22 AM »
This seems a little odd... I was having trouble getting EF to run myself, culminating in a full reinstall of both CoH:NSV and EF...

Technically I *do* have the 'old' version of the vanilla game (and all expansion) in my library, but they aren't installed - Only the steam version. And now, post reinstall, everything works.
And realistically, isn't it on YOUR end to determine which version of the base game it is compatible with? I mean, if its looking for the NSV and that version only, then that is all that should be needed - not hidden older versions or anything. And its the MOD that is looking for which version of the game you have, so its the mod creators that are responsible for ensuring its compatibility with the NSV - Not Valve/steam.

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline BullNZ

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »
Why you wouldn't? You can also add in the command line from the COH NSV the parameters to run the Steam version of EF instead of using the EF entry on the library... however, you won't get achievements and you will be shown as playing COH NSV instead of COH EF.
I assumed the latest version was only available through steam? I didn't know if the ones in the downloads on the site were the latest version or not.

I also wasn't sure how matchmaking etc would work, as most of the people I play with will have the Eastern Front through Steam.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 12:55:08 AM »
The last version is the Steam one, not the one in moddb.
Mors Indecepta

Offline Enps

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 12:39:53 AM »
It's working fine now. I guess Steam or the developers fixed the issue.

And to the developers asking why I simply do not play the non-steam version, it is because of crashes about 30-50% of all played games. I posted a bug report to you about the issue without any luck. Anyway played about 5 games now with the Steam version of the mod and no crashes this far, the problem might have fixed itself.

Thanks for making CoH a better and more full game.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:47:36 AM by Enps »

Offline BullNZ

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 03:33:52 AM »
Yes, Steam updated my support ticket to say it has been fixed. I haven't played it yet but now at least I can download and install it!