Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Diamond Encrusted Tanks  (Read 5888 times)

Offline John Grimm

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Diamond Encrusted Tanks
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:59:39 AM »
I've played two games so far, and my biggest issue so far is not having nearly enough resources to actually pump out the men and armor needed.

I mean the T-34 is 75 fuel where as a Panzer is 70 fuel, how does that work? My T-34 was getting killed by Armored Cars and only taking them down to 15-25% health before being blown to pieces.

Which means a 75 fuel tank couldn't kill, and was being killed by, a 35 fuel armored car. A tank being killed by an armored car with the barrel upgrade would be fine if the tank's price matched it's prowess.

It just seems to me that the Red Army is advertised as being quantity over quality yet the majority of their armor is incredibly expensive for what you're getting.

My guess is I'm just not used to playing them yet, but it does seem at face value to be a bit bizarre unit pricing-wise.

Offline Blue

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Diamond Encrusted Tanks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
Funny your saying this, because most of the EF players are saying the Soviets are OP- Which they are. To an extent. I didn't actually bother too much with the armor, but it is indeed expensive. Saving up for the IS-2 is your best bet, as the light tanks are kinda iffy for me personally. Once you get the heavy tanks, you'll see why they need a desperate nerf. ;)
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

Offline Detrian

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »
Sounds like a tall story.

Offline Someone

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:41:13 AM »
T-34 only needs two buildings (to my knowledge, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that's a minimum of 100 fuel (tank hall) plus mustering tent 15 fuel (also could be wrong but can't be too much if I can build it straight from the start. Wehrmacht Panzers need to tier up to tier 4 and build the Panzer command which almost 200 fuel if memory serves. I can't really say anything about armoured cars though, perhaps uploading a replay would yield more help.

Offline thebomb

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:50:04 AM »
Actually the Red Army is being "advertised" as combined arms not quantity over quality...but if that's how you want to play - different strokes for different fokes ;)

Offline Voop_Bakon

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »
I've played two games so far, and my biggest issue so far is not having nearly enough resources to actually pump out the men and armor needed.

I mean the T-34 is 75 fuel where as a Panzer is 70 fuel, how does that work? My T-34 was getting killed by Armored Cars and only taking them down to 15-25% health before being blown to pieces.

Which means a 75 fuel tank couldn't kill, and was being killed by, a 35 fuel armored car. A tank being killed by an armored car with the barrel upgrade would be fine if the tank's price matched it's prowess.

It just seems to me that the Red Army is advertised as being quantity over quality yet the majority of their armor is incredibly expensive for what you're getting.

My guess is I'm just not used to playing them yet, but it does seem at face value to be a bit bizarre unit pricing-wise.

Pz4's are 80 fuel  :P

t-34/76 definitely needs inf support. However, it shouldnt have a problem against up-gunned pumas. Hmm, I need to go try this out

Offline GermanSteel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:46 AM »
It's actually quite likely that a Puma can take out a T34. T34s are inaccurate in general, Pumas are pretty much the hardest vehicle in the game to hit (except bikes), and the Puma cannon isn't a joke.

Offline South3rs

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
yer but you can get a t 34 and squad of gaurds for 750 man power, which is very good, i just rolled in about 7 t34 with men on top and won the game, it just depends what docterine you follow.

Offline William

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
Bring up the t-34/85 upgrade then see what those puma's think then.

--WIP--

Offline John Grimm

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:46:40 PM »

I completely forgot you could upgrade the tanks as well. I think that along with the fact I'm not used to the much harder AI is the reason I'm getting whiped out in the first 10 minutes of a game.

Offline GermanSteel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:18:53 AM »

I have no access to the statistics so I'm going off the assumption that the 85mm upgrade is the same kind of upgrade as the 76mm for the Sherman.

In which case, it would do NOTHING. It wouldn't increase damage, and it wouldn't increase accuracy... it'd just increase penetration. And that's not where the T34 has problems against a puma. Pumas are hard to hit, not hard to pen.

Plus it costs 200 munitions, compared to the significantly cheaper upgun for Shermans.

Of course I could be wrong about all this but as I have no way of knowing what exactly the 85mm gun provides over the standard...

Offline danny

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »
even t34/76 without being upgraded to 34/85 its still effective to Pumas i never saw my tanks getting smashed by pumas but Panthers and 34/85 upgrade will be nice for the panthers but they still capable of smashing your tanks

Offline vewt

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Micro your T34s?

It's not like their turrets traverse slowly, you can easily keep your front armour towards the Pumas, or at least your back armour to a wall.

Meanwhile on average you've got to be hitting for more damage per second than the Puma(s), right?

Offline GermanSteel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »
Vewt, you're underestimating two things - how dodgy the Puma is, and its cannon.

It all comes down to the T34's accuracy against puma.

Offline guynumber7

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »

Plus it costs 200 munitions, compared to the significantly cheaper upgun for Shermans.

300 acutually. Also, well were at it, does anyone else think SU-100 is shit? honestly for 300 munitions the armor and gun upgrade is negligable. gets flanked and killed very easily.