Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: language  (Read 13467 times)

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
Re: language
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 07:43:46 PM »
It did bother me how my T-34's were saying "Sherman".
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
Sounds like we need a Russian to voluntary his time.

Why do we need a Russian volunteer? What we need to know is how to work recorded dialogues into the proper slots so the units say the right things in the right circumstances.

After that, you need to find a number of people with good recording equipment (such as a mostly silent room and a good quality mic) to spout clichéd lines like "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH, MOTHERLAAAAAAAAND!" for a couple of weeks (the less people you have, the more time it will take and the less varied the dialogues will be).

Offline LaughingSam

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »
Would it be tricky to add in an 'Urrah!' when the soviet officer charge is used?  Really the only sound I'd love to hear in battle that isn't there right now.

Offline thebomb

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 11:57:59 PM »

Why do we need a Russian volunteer? What we need to know is how to work recorded dialogues into the proper slots so the units say the right things in the right circumstances.

After that, you need to find a number of people with good recording equipment (such as a mostly silent room and a good quality mic) to spout clichéd lines like "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH, MOTHERLAAAAAAAAND!" for a couple of weeks (the less people you have, the more time it will take and the less varied the dialogues will be).

Well you'd need a Russian volunteer or a really talented non-Russian otherwise the English speaking Soviets would just sound corny and lame.

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 01:05:52 AM »
Well you'd need a Russian volunteer or a really talented non-Russian otherwise the English speaking Soviets would just sound corny and lame.

Why?

Offline thebomb

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »

Why?

What do you mean why? No one wants a bad voice actor who doesn't know anything about the language they're voicing.

Offline SquirrellyWrath

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 04:21:57 AM »
Start with cutting out words like "Rifles", "Sherman", etc.
So the Russian players aren't so annoyed.

Offline ford_prefect

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 04:24:16 AM »
Hi i just wanted to know if the soviets spoke english and if they do how would i set them to speak it, because my units will only speak in a foreign language thanks. ???
the t-90 says "greyhound" when ever he talks and I think if you spoke Russian you would learn that the T-34 thinks he's a Sherman

Offline Detrian

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 04:56:31 AM »

That's stupid as fuck. Shut up Saavedra go back to ruining EiR and OMG.

Offline Artillerist

• Guard
  • Smert' vragu, pizdets raschoty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
As for me, I could record voises for ZiS-2.

I served as Cannon commander of MT-12 (something like "ZiS-2 in nowdays'), and I know what commands are in use and what voises are going when shooting and other actions...

Also, It could be interesting to have Ukrainian voises in game, as Belarusian also :)

Just tell me guys, what I must do - and I'll take that ZiS-2 sounds done :)
-------------------
94th Guards Infantry Division, 100th Separated Anti-Tank Artillery Divizion.

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:49 AM »

Why?

What do you mean why? No one wants a bad voice actor who doesn't know anything about the language they're voicing.

You misunderstood me. I was not talking about giving Russian voices to the Russian troops, I was talking about the other languages. English, French, Spanish, Italian, whatever languages CoH was published in (and Russian too, I guess, which would indeed need Russian voice actors).

That's stupid as fuck. Shut up Saavedra go back to ruining EiR and OMG.

Oh look, a troll of the stalker variety. What brings such a mythical creature to this place to insult me? Specially one that accuses me of ruining EiR and OMG when 1)I can´t remember ever posting in EiR because I only played once about a year ago and never touched it again, so I´m confident I never posted regarding balance and 2)I post a lot in OMG, but hold no dev position so I can´t influence anything beyond talking about it?

Are you a moron, or just scared of me?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:51:24 AM by Saavedra »

Offline Artillerist

• Guard
  • Smert' vragu, pizdets raschoty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 12:08:01 PM »
Стрельба из МТ-12.mp4

One of my gunnery exercises :) I am (from my 2nd cannon) watch a fire of my friend, commander of 3rd cannon.

"Bronebojnym!" - "Armour piercing shell!"
"Odin snaryad zaryadit'! - "Load 1 shell!"
"Rashjot v ukrytije!" - "Crew - get hide!"
"Orudie!" - "CAnnon - get ready!"
"Vystrel!" - "FIRE!"

:)
-------------------
94th Guards Infantry Division, 100th Separated Anti-Tank Artillery Divizion.

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »
Very cool!

In any case, I would propose that the devs discuss voice acting. Things like:

1- Is it possible? Can you actually put infantry dialogues into the game? (should be able to, you did add sounds for new and old units)

2- Can you have one of the devs work on it, or do you need another dev to organize it? Would that dev just organize, or do you need someone who has knowledge of how to integrate those sounds into the game and later test them?

3- How would you run a recruitment? Would you open a subforum for people to submit soundbites of themselves saying military phrases? Or something else?

4- Would you do all languages at the same time, storing the soundbites for different languages as they come until you can release a full "pack" for each language, or would you go language by language?

Of course, I don´t seriously think you are up to this right now, with balance and bug-testing taking priority right now. But it is definitely an option to consider later on.

Offline Einherjar

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
Thank you EF team, for giving us the russian speech.
Now my english armies speaks english, Axis speaks german (used the german speech file) and soviets speaks russian.
All feels very authentic, couldnt asked for something better :)

Offline IEatBolsheviks

• Donor
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:11 PM »
Thank you EF team, for giving us the russian speech.
Now my english armies speaks english, Axis speaks german (used the german speech file) and soviets speaks russian.
All feels very authentic, couldnt asked for something better :)
+1