Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: I think the AI just got better...  (Read 9594 times)

Offline Fallen

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: I think the AI just got better...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 01:06:41 AM »
yesterday me and my friend played vire river against rus and US,US quit quick because he had to go,we thought,this will be 'fast' now...but in the end,russ almost did nothing,had like 10kpoints,but ai alone(with very little russ assistance) defeated us he had like 50k in the end...we were like,wtf,beaten by a ai? KT lasted like whole 15 seconds from coming in game,never saw one killed so fast...:P

Offline sweeten2213

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 01:12:36 AM »
I completely redid the AI for all factions - it's still not perfect but it should be much "smarter" than the vanilla AI.

I saw one poster mentioned spamming some units in the Prop doctrine - there is still a bit of a bug where once the AI starts building an off map call in unit, it LOVES to keep building it.

Offline luz777

• Donor
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 01:27:42 AM »
Yeah I remember vanilla AI used to do it with the Calliope if armour got chosen, now the russians do it with Katyushas. Any upcomign fix for this, or is just one of those annoying things that cant really be helped?

Great work on the AI by the way, I like Skirmish even more now haha  :)

Offline sweeten2213

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 01:29:15 AM »
The only way to fix it is to hard cap it - now sure how the team feels about that.  But even if capped at a reasonable number, it will often build them until it reaches that #

Offline Fivestargeneral

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 03:31:27 AM »
I think the "certain-type-of-unit" spamming is a characteristic nature of the COH AI way before EF, sometimes this tactic can be equally effective, for e.g. hetzer spam.

Yup but of course if tuned down a little, it would be better.

Dear Developer, does the AI still receive a health boost at higher levels of difficulty?

Offline sweeten2213

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 03:34:51 AM »
No - I took out the health boost

Offline Fivestargeneral

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 03:40:19 AM »

Ah, that's nice to hear that.  :) kudos on the AI by the way, it's now a challenge to play skirmish and I enjoy it more now (when my buddies are not free to play a 1v1 with me  :D)... really redefines the way skirmish is played now.

Offline sandycaesar

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 06:16:26 AM »
No kidding! Suddenly I'm fighting for my life on a 1v1 against a Normal. First few times I got smashed. All of a sudden armored vehicles are popping up out of nowhere very, very fast. I was used to the CPU trying to Puma-rush so it was a truly dreadful surprise when Stugs and Panzer-IVs rush my infantry.

After that I got an "inspired" idea, the dreaded Ingenery rush (insert artillery barrage of balance complaints here). On Angoville, Ingeneries charge, build an outpost, tech straight to T2, surround enemy base, get PTRD complement (unnecessary in hindsight) while rushing to tech to T3. I actually won with 3 T-34/76s.

Offline taint

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »
Embarrassing as this sounds i actually gave up in a Berlin battle versing 4 ai's on normal just couldn't manage it. Such a good ai boost and its good.

Offline Bfler

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »
I did my first steps in EF yesterday and was surprised how hard to beat a normal cpu is.
I won only one game with russians and that was because I was able to get an ISU-152.

Offline szaman

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »
I do also agree that the AI is way better in EF.

Yesterday I was trying to beat two WE AI's (expert) playing with USSR... We didn't make it  ::)

But today we will try again! ;D

Nothing will stop the Red Tide! 8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy.

Offline Fivestargeneral

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 04:57:08 AM »

Hi Devs, since the health levels are the same for all difficulty, what then are the major AI differences between each level of difficulty?

Like for e.g. I think the MP rate in hard or expert is quite fast. Any other differences which separates the AI from say expert than easy?

Or if anybody else can notice/spot the differences, do share with us?

Offline sweeten2213

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 05:09:55 AM »
The only AI "boost" from difficulty level to difficulty level is the multiplier for resources.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe Easy is 1.0 (meaning the same as a human), normal 1.1 or 1.2, hard a little higher and expert a little higher than that.

So say if it were 1.5 and their income would be 300 mp (using even numbers), they would get 450 mp per minute instead of 300 mp.

Though some accuse the AI of "cheating" due to this (which I understand the point, but vanilla AI does the same with resource bonuses AND health bonuses), the reality is the AI no matter how "smart" you make it needs extra resources to make more "human like" decisions. 

Whereas you, the human, know to make a purchase/use an ability at the precise moment you have enough, the AI tends to want a little more than enough and always has some in reserve.  So, in reality, it doesn't fully use the bonuses it gets and never will.

Offline footslogger49

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
While not being new to COH, I read posts for strategies but I get tripped up by the terms used such as "micro" "vet" etc. Is there somewhere I can get a glossary so that a dimwit like me can actually understand the vocabulary? Some of the terms seem to be unpublished and known only to the hard core players, so I need help.

Offline VargasTheSick

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 08:20:54 PM »
I give props to the improved AI, however it's not fair at all if you are doing anything above a 2 vs 2 and a player drops. On a large map with no choke points, it is impossible to outcap a computer controlled soviet player. Since they need no tech tree, with advanced income, tanks become available WAY to fast. Skirmishes are fun, and if you lose, no biggie, however when it's a player that drops and the advanced AI takes over with resource bonuses, it's ridiculous.