Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Idea: Ostheer Unit  (Read 3544 times)

Offline GonTo30

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Idea: Ostheer Unit
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:57:30 PM »
The Schienen-Gewehr-Stellung
(Rail Gun Emplacement)
Only on rail maps can a Schienen-Gewehr-Stellung be placed. The Artillery of the Schienen-Gewehr-Stellung would be a medium size radius but would be very accurate.
Cost: 500 Manpower and 50 Fuel
Pop-5

Offline Muesliriegel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Ostheer Unit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
Well i think that would be a nice idea but it would be useless on maps without rails so if it is in a doctrine, it would be a disatvantage for this doctrine or du u mean using it as a normal unit? Then the rails in coh maps can get shot away so i see some problems there. Also would the AT be mobile or like a bunker or emplacement, because i dondt know if its possible to make it mobile only on the rails, so that it stays on those.

But nice Idea would be cool for sure^^

Offline GonTo30

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:02:02 PM »
It would be under the Field Defenses and instead of it being placed on a rail way it could be placed right on the ground, but would be immobile.

Offline Nubrannosaurus

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:57:19 AM »
Neat idea, but I say no simply because the Axis will have a significant advantage on a map with a railway.  There's no reason to change the game balance this way. 

Offline GonTo30

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:58:25 AM »
Would you agree to it if the cool down time was 3-5 minutes.

Offline Nubrannosaurus

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
Nope.  I love the idea of Gustav (who doesn't love an artillery piece that can launch 5-ton high explosive shells?) but there's no reason to give the Ostheer an advantage like this exclusively for railroad maps.  Balance is about consistency, and having map-exclusive abilities would ruin this consistency.  Even with a 3-5 minute cooldown, this consistency is still messed up because you've now given the Ostheer an ability that is almost identical to a V1, but exclusively for railroad maps.  How does that make sense?  Thematically, yes, but mechanically, no.  "Congratulations, just because you're so lucky, we've given you an advantage in this match-up, enjoy."  What about automatch?  How fair is it for the allies player if a railroad map is chosen?   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:56:39 PM by Nubrannosaurus »

Offline GonTo30

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »
It would be under the Field Defenses and instead of it being placed on a rail way it could be placed right on the ground, but would be immobile.

But would only be able to be put in the owners base.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:03:16 PM by GonTo30 »

Offline Nubrannosaurus

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 10:35:18 PM »
So when you say "rail only maps," you're just making an aesthetic suggestion then?  In other words, if there happens to be a railroad near the Ostheer base, instead of it being put on the ground, it is put on the railroad instead?  If it's just about aesthetics then sure, it works.

As for the idea itself, having an artillery piece that has a semi-long cooldown and fires one shell(assumed) but with high accuracy and power?  Not too bad.  I kinda like it and I kinda don't.  It's got merit, keep working with it.  It's mechanically different from the standard artillery pieces in the game where they are inaccurate but fire many shells. 

Offline GonTo30

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
This is the whole concept-

Name-Rail Gun
Summary- Can be placed inside a base and has a medium size fire distance with high accuracy.
Less than a 25 Pounder
1 Shell per Fire
Cool down 3-5 minutes
Howitzer
Cost-500 Manpower 100 Fuel
Pop-5
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:28:59 PM by GonTo30 »

Offline Nubrannosaurus

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 11:21:55 PM »
More details.  Medium sized fire distance, is this less or more or equal to a 25-pounder or M102 howitzer?  How many shells does it fire per salvo?  How powerful is each shell (same as 25 pounder or less or more)?  What is the cooldown?  I'm also assuming this is indeed a howitzer and not a direct-fire weapon like the Flak 88.

These details are what define your idea compared to the plethora of other artillery-like ideas already existing in CoH.

- close -
Lord Rommel - DEV
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:29:12 PM by Lord Rommel »