Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Waffen SS on the Eastern Front  (Read 17851 times)

Offline maxi1991

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Re: Waffen SS on the Eastern Front
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »
There's a difference between the Waffen SS and "Camp Guard and Nazi politicians' Bodyguard" SS. Waffen were battlefield troops, they were a branch of the SS, sure, but they certainly didn't work at Auschwitz or Treblinka.

yes this is true

Offline Aouch

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »
As Lord Rommel said, nazi-symbols like the swastika and the SS-runes are forbidden in Germany, with some exception.
However, video-games aren't such an exception.
I also agree with Pauly3 on the topic of playing as SS. I don't want to do that, yet I still want to play Ostheer.

Why can't you leave the SS out of the name and Uniform, you can still have the camouflage and their "elite" abilities.  ::)
So everybody could think about them what he wants, and at the same time nobody is forced to think about SS.
In memoriam MrScruff
The Wehrmacht in the East

Obstheer FTW!

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
As Lord Rommel said, nazi-symbols like the swastika and the SS-runes are forbidden in Germany, with some exception.
However, video-games aren't such an exception.
I also agree with Pauly3 on the topic of playing as SS. I don't want to do that, yet I still want to play Ostheer.

Why can't you leave the SS out of the name and Uniform, you can still have the camouflage and their "elite" abilities.  ::)
So everybody could think about them what he wants, and at the same time nobody is forced to think about SS.
Or have a sugar-coated German version of the patch.
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline Schuultz

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
Is the Panzerelite not SS ?

No. Panzer Elite is based on the Panzer Lehr Division, an elite Wehrmacht unit that fought off the British during Operation Market Garden.

It is therefore 100% Wehrmacht. Also, for people who think these guys 'look' like SS because of their Camo: Splittertarn was used only by Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.
The SS was using other camo patterns, among them Erbsentarn, Platanenmuster, Eichentarn, etc.

Even the Stormtroopers of the regular Wehrmacht Faction, though obviously meant to suggest Waffen-SS are wearing a Fall version of the rare, late-war Leibertarn. This one was given out to both Wehrmacht and Waffen SS - though because of its late introduction and low production rates, it is almost completely unknown...
The fundamental problem of Democracy is that the majority of voters are idiots fueled by uninformed rage - and the Politicians do everything to cater to them.

Offline yuuhuu

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
The Waffen-SS, the combat arm of the SS (the Nazi Party's paramilitary organization), became the de facto fourth branch of the Wehrmacht, as it expanded from three regiments to 38 divisions by 1945. The SS was autonomous and existed in parallel to the Wehrmacht; Waffen-SS field units, however, were under the operational control of the Armed Forces High Command (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, OKW) or the Army High Command (Oberkommando des Heeres, OKH)

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »

You don´t want to play SS, and that´s fine by me. But I don´t see why everyone else has to be denied that possibility. What if I want to play SS? That doesn´t mean I´m a nazi, you know, I just like their elite status and their fearsome aura.

Seriously though, to all SS-nayers. GROW UP. The Red Army did things every bit as bad as the SS, but I don´t see you complaining about that. Maybe you should go to the eastern half of Germany and say how much you love playing the Red Army. You know? The guys who pillaged, burned, shot and raped their way through Germany?

Offline userstupidname

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
...I feel saddened that we are in a age where we on longer detest horrible things like the SS....

That people come with idiotic sayings... trying to make it less worse just because ''russians'' were also bad...

God you make me ***** angry, why not hate the SS?? Why even make them being able to play? Why don't you all hate them to such a level?

....Of course what do i expect? ''zomg the russians did bad too'' Fuc*ing retards. I fucki*g despise people for not hating the SS. So f****ing ignorant, so fucki*** retarded so fuc**** disgusting. Grow UP people and hate what should be hated.

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »
"...I feel saddened that we are in a age where we on longer detest horrible things like the SS....

That people come with idiotic sayings... trying to make it less worse just because ''russians'' were also bad...

God you make me ***** angry, why not hate the SS?? Why even make them being able to play? Why don't you all hate them to such a level?

....Of course what do i expect? ''zomg the russians did bad too'' Fuc*ing retards. I fucki*g despise people for not hating the SS. So f****ing ignorant, so fucki*** retarded so fuc**** disgusting. Grow UP people and hate what should be hated."
Then the Russians should be hated too. If there are ging to be Stalin's Russians in this mod with Commissars then it makes sense for there to be SS. The Waffen and Guard SS are two different branches. Why don't you hate the Russians? Unless your grandparents and their parents suffered under the fear of the SS because they were Jews. Be happy that the SS only targeted specific people while Stalin killed everyone.
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline Firespray

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 09:27:12 PM »

nbeerbower

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
Mild references to the SS are fine, but I'd rather not see them in the Ostheer.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 12:05:39 AM »
I think adding Waffen SS is good idea. I mean I'm not a nazi, but you guys  are wrong. Everybody said, that Waffen SS were kiling Jews and other nations, and that's not true. That was Allgemaine SS and Einsatzgruppen. Waffen SS was military organisation. They of course commited war crimes ( killing POWs, etc), but nobody see that Waffen SS were very well trained, armed, and they had very big morale. They were also fighting until the end, no matter of costs. Lots of Wehrmacht commanders ( for example von Manstein) were satisfied when they had Waffen SS units under command.

Offline maxi1991

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
They of course commited war crimes ( killing POWs, etc)

I fully agree with your post but here is to add that no side is free of war crimes in ww2

Offline Aouch

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 01:00:26 AM »
Even if SS didn't murdered jews, the things they did are still evil.
The thing is, you can't release the mod in Germany or host the files on a German server, because nazi-symbols aren't allowed there.
Furthermore, why do we need some unit-name, telling they're SS? Just because they were part of the Eastern Front doesn't justify this in my opinion.
Company of Heroes was never realistic nore wants to teach history and however thinks you can learn something bout history from video-games is just a dumb...  ::)
In memoriam MrScruff
The Wehrmacht in the East

Obstheer FTW!

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 01:37:40 AM »
...I feel saddened that we are in a age where we on longer detest horrible things like the SS....

I wouldn´t be in a hurry to join them, if that´s what you are implying.

....Of course what do i expect? ''zomg the russians did bad too'' Fuc*ing retards. I fucki*g despise people for not hating the SS. So f****ing ignorant, so fucki*** retarded so fuc**** disgusting. Grow UP people and hate what should be hated.

No, YOU need to grow up, you moron. If we can´t have the Waffen SS (just another Wehr unit by another name) in this game for morality reasons, then we can´t have the GODDAMN RED ARMY EITHER. BECAUSE THE RED ARMY PERFORMED AT EXACTLY THE SAME LEVEL OF CRUELTY AND DEPRAVITY, IF NOT WORSE, SO IT WOULD BE HYPOCRITICAL TO FORBID ONE ARMY AND NOT THE OTHER.

Do you actually KNOW WHAT THE RED ARMY DID AS THEY WENT INTO GERMANY? DO YOU?

Here is a history lesson for you, kid.

They pillaged all the towns, stealing the property of the German people and sending it to their homes. The officers would of course steal a lot more than the common soldier. Tank crews would tie mattresses to the sides of their tanks (not just for anti-RPG protection).

This is where the funny part ends.

They would shoot teenagers because they presupposed they were German partisans. They thought the children were little more than the cubs of the "German beast" that would grow up to hate Russia, so many thought they should have been killed like animals.

They raped little girls, women and old women from Prussia to Germany. They would do this in groups, with a dozen men raping a single person at a time (there are higher "scores", I´ve read about it). If they were drunk, which was a wide-spread problem in the Red Army, they would sometimes not be able to get it up, so they would use bottles and other things they found to rape these women, causing terrible wounds. Many of these women would later commit suicide, had to have abortions, and/or would suffer veneral diseases.

They didn´t even limit themselves to raping German women, which while horrible, was at least understandable. They would also rape those of other nationalities, including women found in the concentration and extermination camps. Not even Russian women just liberated were spared.

Why the FUCK do you think there were such episodes of mass panic in Germany leading to thousands upon thousands of refugees fleeing west? Maybe because they were hearing what was happening as the Red Army advanced?

The Red Army was a medieval army with machineguns. A gigantic proportion of it had no regard for the laws of war, no respect for the enemy, and even less respect for civilians, theirs or the enemy´s. Meanwhile, while the political arm of the SS were douchebags of astronomical proportions, most of their military forces were pretty much just elite combat units, like any of the Wehrmacht. Of course, some of these units did commit war crimes that are pretty famous, but most of them simply fulfilled their duties as soldiers.

So excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess, but I find no problem in playing with SS, or with Russian troops, because it´s been SEVENTY YEARS since the events scenified in the game, and I am perfectly capable of playing a STRATEGY GAME for the military simulation and fun aspects of it. I´m not so stupid as to take one of these two factions as morally superior to each other because as far as I care, they were both SCUM. And I don´t play only to "roleplay" and masturbate over being a commander in the morally superior side of World War II.

So do me a couple of favors:

1- Shut the fuck up.

2- Whenever you are playing with the Russian faction, remember that a sizeable number of your troops are drunk rapists, murderes and thieves with no sense of honor or decency. That means you have no moral ground to say shit about people who want to play SS. At least the Waffen SS only committed a war crime now and then, not all the fucking time in every town they went through.

tl;dr

WAR CRIMES, LOL TIMES

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:50:24 AM by Saavedra »

Offline CommissarGears

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 05:26:03 AM »

I wouldn´t be in a hurry to join them, if that´s what you are implying.

No, YOU need to grow up, you moron. If we can´t have the Waffen SS (just another Wehr unit by another name) in this game for morality reasons, then we can´t have the GODDAMN RED ARMY EITHER. BECAUSE THE RED ARMY PERFORMED AT EXACTLY THE SAME LEVEL OF CRUELTY AND DEPRAVITY, IF NOT WORSE, SO IT WOULD BE HYPOCRITICAL TO FORBID ONE ARMY AND NOT THE OTHER.

Do you actually KNOW WHAT THE RED ARMY DID AS THEY WENT INTO GERMANY? DO YOU?

Here is a history lesson for you, kid.

They pillaged all the towns, stealing the property of the German people and sending it to their homes. The officers would of course steal a lot more than the common soldier. Tank crews would tie mattresses to the sides of their tanks (not just for anti-RPG protection).

This is where the funny part ends.

They would shoot teenagers because they presupposed they were German partisans. They thought the children were little more than the cubs of the "German beast" that would grow up to hate Russia, so many thought they should have been killed like animals.

They raped little girls, women and old women from Prussia to Germany. They would do this in groups, with a dozen men raping a single person at a time (there are higher "scores", I´ve read about it). If they were drunk, which was a wide-spread problem in the Red Army, they would sometimes not be able to get it up, so they would use bottles and other things they found to rape these women, causing terrible wounds. Many of these women would later commit suicide, had to have abortions, and/or would suffer veneral diseases.

They didn´t even limit themselves to raping German women, which while horrible, was at least understandable. They would also rape those of other nationalities, including women found in the concentration and extermination camps. Not even Russian women just liberated were spared.

Why the FUCK do you think there were such episodes of mass panic in Germany leading to thousands upon thousands of refugees fleeing west? Maybe because they were hearing what was happening as the Red Army advanced?

The Red Army was a medieval army with machineguns. A gigantic proportion of it had no regard for the laws of war, no respect for the enemy, and even less respect for civilians, theirs or the enemy´s. Meanwhile, while the political arm of the SS were douchebags of astronomical proportions, most of their military forces were pretty much just elite combat units, like any of the Wehrmacht. Of course, some of these units did commit war crimes that are pretty famous, but most of them simply fulfilled their duties as soldiers.

So excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess, but I find no problem in playing with SS, or with Russian troops, because it´s been SEVENTY YEARS since the events scenified in the game, and I am perfectly capable of playing a STRATEGY GAME for the military simulation and fun aspects of it. I´m not so stupid as to take one of these two factions as morally superior to each other because as far as I care, they were both SCUM. And I don´t play only to "roleplay" and masturbate over being a commander in the morally superior side of World War II.

So do me a couple of favors:

1- Shut the fuck up.

2- Whenever you are playing with the Russian faction, remember that a sizeable number of your troops are drunk rapists, murderes and thieves with no sense of honor or decency. That means you have no moral ground to say shit about people who want to play SS. At least the Waffen SS only committed a war crime now and then, not all the fucking time in every town they went through.

tl;dr

WAR CRIMES, LOL TIMES

+1

The truely disgusting thing is wanting to forget or ignore the past, instead of remembering and learning from it. As far as i know, none of us had ties to Nazi Germany or the Waffen SS.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:46:09 AM by CommissarGears »