Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Waffen SS on the Eastern Front  (Read 17852 times)

Offline Ricardo

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Waffen SS on the Eastern Front
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »
Dear Players,

I am really happy to see that this topic creates the debate. It was my goal  ;)

Since we may not add clearly (German law) units like the SS maybe a goed solution would be to make them appear with the typical camo unifom they were used to wear.

Such a solution should be welcomed both by anti and pro waffen SS units. The most important is that all parties feel comfortable.

And let us not forget firstly that this is a game and secondly all opinions or feeling exist.

:)

Offline Panschreck

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
lol@Saavedra
Why not bark to those companys who make WWⅡgames?or its just a mod so u can throw everything come out from your ass?The truth is most game studios would perfer red army rather than SS no matter whos asshole. ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:06:30 AM by Panschreck »

Offline thebomb

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:50 AM »
This is one f*cked up thread.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »
They would prefer because Red Army won II WW. That's why. And Russiams were animals. They also came to "liberate" countries of Mid-Eastern Europe so well, that they didn't leave it in 50 years time.

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
Since we may not add clearly (German law) units like the SS maybe a goed solution would be to make them appear with the typical camo unifom they were used to wear.

If I remember correctly, the Storm Troopers of the Blitzkrieg doctrine have the thunder-shaped "SS" in white on the collars of their jackets.

I think it would be fine if you just don´t use the skull motifs. Of course, whatever you do, someone is gonna throw a stink at it because most people can´t work out the difference between the Nazi political leaders and the German military, much less the differences between a Wehrmacht soldier and an SS soldier.

lol@Saavedra
Why not bark to those companys who make WWⅡgames?or its just a mod so u can throw everything come out from your ass?The truth is most game studios would perfer red army rather than SS no matter whos asshole. ::)

I´m not against not putting in the Waffen SS because of problems like size of the download, time and workload, and because simply there might be something more interesting to add. That´s fine, it´s perfectly understandable.

What´s not, is not putting them in because of hypocritical, simplistic "morality issues" boooo-boooo.

Offline Ricardo

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »
@ Saavedra,

I think it is a good idea to create Waffen SS units without clear nazi symbols. Neither swastika nor SS runes nor dead heads...

When I have a look back at all the comments it appears clearly that the Ostheer has to propose within a doctrine or in the main units something related to the Waffen SS.

Speaking for myself I would add within a doctrine a type of units called Elite Troops or something like that.

I know that some people talk about the presence of foreign troops *(excellent idea) within one of the doctrines of the OstHeer. This is why I thik that we could do that too for the Waffen SS.

* Foreign troops for info were most of time sooner or later enlisted ( French = Charlemagne, British, Swedish,.. = Wiking, Belgian = Wallonie, etc)  in the ranks of the Waffen SS. Do we have to forget the idea of creating those foreign troops because at a certain moment of the war the fought under the SS uniform ?

Have a nice day  ;)

Offline Danius

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »
I suspect the only people who oppose having the Waffen SS is germans because of the amazing "propaganda" against them by the germans themselves.

Waffen SS should be included because they played a major role, if that offends anyone than that is simply too bad.
The red army raped and pillaged its way to berlin and took all of eastern Europe as hostage after the war yet nobody seem to have a problem with a mod entirely dedicated to them.

I like to play realistic and historical accurate games that are not biased because some might be offended.

This is a WAR game, not hello kitty online.

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »
@ Saavedra,

I think it is a good idea to create Waffen SS units without clear nazi symbols. Neither swastika nor SS runes nor dead heads...

When I have a look back at all the comments it appears clearly that the Ostheer has to propose within a doctrine or in the main units something related to the Waffen SS.

I am fine with the SS runes because they are already in the game. On the Storm Troopers´ lapels. If you don´t think it´s wise to also include dead heads or swastikas... well, I find it prudish, but I´m fine with that. Iconography is not all there is to Waffen SS.

They had those awesome black uniforms, their fearsome aura, their excellent combat record late war (fun fact: early war, SS were shit)...

I suspect the only people who oppose having the Waffen SS is germans because of the amazing "propaganda" against them by the germans themselves.

Oh, that. That´s part of the alienation strategy taken since the Allied troops started entering Germany. Suddenly, there were no nazis anywhere. Nobody voted Hitler into power. And of course, Hitler and his cronies were aliens from Mars or something like that.

You can see this in the controversy surrounding the movie "Downfall". Some people didn´t like seeing that Hitler was human...

This is a WAR game, not hello kitty online.

WHERE

CAN

I

FIND

THIS

Offline Schuultz

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
You can see this in the controversy surrounding the movie "Downfall". Some people didn´t like seeing that Hitler was human...

Yeah, that was pretty ludicrous. The Left has grown way too powerful in Germany by now - there's no balance between Left and Right, as in other countries.

And the Lefties always fear that, as soon as you depict any Nazi as anything but a baby-raping, uncharming asshole, you're downplaying the Nazis.
In my eyes, that makes the German people themselves look even worse. Because if you fall victim to an evil but charismatic charmer that's a lot more understandable that falling victim to an evil dick with no charisma at all..

It's reached the point of absurdity, really...
The fundamental problem of Democracy is that the majority of voters are idiots fueled by uninformed rage - and the Politicians do everything to cater to them.

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »
In my eyes, that makes the German people themselves look even worse. Because if you fall victim to an evil but charismatic charmer that's a lot more understandable that falling victim to an evil dick with no charisma at all..

I couldn´t care less about such a thing being "understandable". There is a far, far bigger problem with that point of view, in my opinion. And it is that, when the next Hitler comes along, it will be harder to identify him as such when Hitler becomes an alien, or the Devil.

Not understanding, or downright denying, that Hitler was a human being is what will let the next genocidal asshole get away with it until it is too late. Because we won´t think that someone living in our time could be as evil as he was.

Offline Schuultz

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
Do you know the quote by Pastor Martin Niemöller about the passivity of the German people to counteract the Nazis?

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out.
The fundamental problem of Democracy is that the majority of voters are idiots fueled by uninformed rage - and the Politicians do everything to cater to them.

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
I've even heard about the German government hosting seminars and convention stating that even lowly Wehrmacht grunts were evil, black-hearted hell demons.
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline TheReaper

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »
Hi guys, in the game the Panzer Elite suppose to be the Panzergruppe Lehr, and it's historically correct faction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer-Lehr-Division
There were several SS-like battlegroups like the Grossdeuschland, Viking and others. It was a bit strange playing this faction, becouse in ww2 this division invaded my motherland... In the eastern front was a total war, there weren't rules, you fought for you're life. In the western front there were rules, but in East there weren't.

Offline Aouch

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
Company of Heroes isn't meant, like any other video game, to teach you something about history.
It's the same as for movies, I personally hate those Hollywood movies. I hate them more than Hitler or Stalin.

How about a compromiss?
If Sturmtruppen in the German CoH version really have SS-runes on their uniform, I think it's fine if 1 or 2 Ostheer units have them, too. But please, for fucks sake, don't call them SS-Elitetroops or something similiar.
Leave the fucking SS out of the unit-name.

I feel like killing all persons on earth whenever I see a vid on youtube where those strange and fucked-up people wear SS-uniforms and think "they're cool".
Usually they don't know fuck about the Third Reich and just are kiddies.
And that freaks me up, I even want to kill all those retards from time to time...  :o
In memoriam MrScruff
The Wehrmacht in the East

Obstheer FTW!

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »
This thread really portrays the idiocy (and barinwashiness of German players, if that's a real word :P). Nobody understands.

THE SS AT AUSCHWITZ IS NOT THE SAME AS THE WAFFEN SS! Not even their uniforms. They are only related because of their section in the German military forces. The Waffen, contrary to popular belief, didn't wear the Swastika armbands and sleak black uniforms, they wore advanced camouflage patterns. The Waffen acted as the cutting edge of the German Heer on the front lines, not guards at concentration camps.
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."