Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Soviet Infantry Underpowered?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Toxic19813

• Guard
  • Lack of gaming PC makes me crazy!
    • View Profile
Soviet Infantry Underpowered?
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »
I think the soviet's infantry should at least stand a chance against vet0 volks... When I try with Concripts, they get shot to pieces very quickly, and with Strelky, it's very close. If Strelky are in heavy cover then they will barely win. I know the Soviet infantry should be cheap, weak, but powerful in numbers, but they can't be so weak as to just die without killing one person in the opposing squad. Anyone else agree?

Offline Artillerist

• Guard
  • Smert' vragu, pizdets raschoty
    • View Profile
Re: Soviet Infantry Underpowered?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:11:43 PM »
Infantry is very weak without any upgrade, and exellent with upgrade. Strelki are very good, together with Command squad.

But in start of match, soviets are very weak - weak and expencive infantry with expencive upgrade and without veterancy.
-------------------
94th Guards Infantry Division, 100th Separated Anti-Tank Artillery Divizion.

Offline bryandil

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:43:39 PM »
i noticed this too. i sent 2 conscripts and almost lost both to gernaders.. but upgraded they r pretty good

Offline Toorstain

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
Hmm, maybe. But you have to remember that a volks-squad costs more than a squad of strelkys. volks 280-260(don't remember precicely, I may be wrong.) and strelkys 250. Guards are 300. The price of infantry don't go up after upgrades, so infantry are both cheap and good in late game. You just have to survive early on ;).

Offline Zamiel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
Hmm, maybe. But you have to remember that a volks-squad costs more than a squad of strelkys. volks 280-260(don't remember precicely, I may be wrong.) and strelkys 250. Guards are 300. The price of infantry don't go up after upgrades, so infantry are both cheap and good in late game. You just have to survive early on ;).

Exactly, one can't expect a 200mp squad of standard infantry to be able to beat a 280mp squad of standard infantry in a stand up fight.  Same goes for the Strelky, as they are only 250mp.

Offline Waphlez

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 03:07:56 AM »
I can understand the OP. I played a game recently where 2 conscript squads in light cover vs 1 volk in heavy cover, get demolished before forcing the volk to retreat. It also doesn't help when half of my conscripts who are unarmed run up right next to the volks. However Soviet infantry do pick up later in the game, so early game is pretty important for the Soviets.