Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Eastern Front Download and Installation Guide  (Read 280072 times)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Front Download and Installation Guide
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »
So me and my friend decided to try this mod out and it works perfectly or me, but he cant launch the installer. It just doesnt open even after waiting more than 15 minutes. Any ideas or fixes for this problem?
Perhaps it wasn't downloaded correctly? Make sure you have admin rights when running it too.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Gata

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2016, 02:51:26 PM »
Hi i just wanted to ask you,can i play Eastern Front Online with friends and how?

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
@Gata
Both should have the same version of CoH and EF. No custom textures or sounds or something else (although I'm not sure if each player having the same add-ons makes it work).
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Gata

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 01, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
Yes but when I tried to go multiplayer in CoH It says me Relic Online Unveliable.Do I need other program like GameRanger or what?

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 01, 2016, 10:52:56 PM »
That error shouldn't pop up, are you playing with a pirate copy of the game? Perhaps your firewall is blocking CoH?
Mors Indecepta

Offline Gata

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2016, 11:30:42 PM »
Yes I think I downloaded from pirate bay because I couldn't find that version in any other way,do I need an original game version?

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2016, 01:39:10 AM »
Yes I think I downloaded from pirate bay because I couldn't find that version in any other way,do I need an original game version?

Yes, we do not offer support for pirated versions of the game. In the recent Humble Bundle you could buy coh1 for like 0.01$.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline Gestafalus

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »
My installation tips that I think will help others:

On attempt to run the newly downloaded file it errored saying folder name cannot contain any of the following characters / : <>*.  The installer default wants to make a program group called Company of Heroes: Eastern Front.  Notice the :?  I removed that to proceed.   

Once installation finished I didn't have a desktop icon to launch the mod.  So I hit Windows Start, browsed to the new "Company of Heroes Eastern Front" folder yet there was only a button to uninstall.  I searched forums and found that you need to launch the game from “EF_Launcher.exe”.  It’s not in the Windows program folder Company of Heroes Eastern Front with the uninstall option, but instead is in in my COH directory.  My own directory happened to be "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\company of heroes\EF_Launcher.exe".  I found it by doing a full computer hard drive search on "EF_Launcher.exe".

I launch the file EF_Launcher.exe from Windows Explorer.  It comes up with a little window, play or update.  Clicking on play immediately recognized I was in an old version, so it updated from their server.   I had to manually browse to the correct Steam subdirectory each time it wanted to update (4 updates I think as of Nov 4, 2010).

Now that the mod is fully updated and installed, I click on Play and it says it can’t find the location of my COH directory.  I click on the Settings menu option on top.  In lower right hand corner of settings there’s a COH directory Field, and it was blank.  I paste the STEAM directory again and save.  My own happened to be E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\company of heroes.

The game now launches to a familiar COH start screen with Multiplayer, Skirmish etc.  From there play as you would COH, with the Soviets now a 3rd option under Allies.
This worked of course and thanks Not sure why it isn't in the directions for installing the game.