Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Eastern Front Download and Installation Guide  (Read 280074 times)

Offline Jimbosmith

• Commissar
    • View Profile
Eastern Front Download and Installation Guide
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »
Welcome

What Do I Need to Play Eastern Front Mod?

To play Eastern Front mod you require to own one of the following games:

• Company of Heroes
  • Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
  • Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
  • Company of Heroes (New Steam Version)

You will also need the latest Company of Heroes Patch which is 2.700.2.42. The patch is automatically obtained via the so called "New Steam Version". Read this post from Relic on how to get the "New Steam Version".

You need both of these for the mod to work correctly. With out the patch the mod will not run at all or experience frequent crashes. You don't need any other version installed either.

To Install Eastern Front Mod

Step 0:
Download Eastern Front and make sure you have Company of Heroes Patch 2.700 (commonly nicknamed "Relaunch" and "New Steam Version") installed and started the game at least once.

Step 1:
Once you have downloaded Eastern Front, start the downloaded file by double clicking, follow the on screen instructions until you reach this.

Normally your folder will be here. Ensure this folder is correct. If you installed Steam in its default folder, it should be:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes Relaunch\
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes Relaunch\

Step 2:
Continue with the installation. Once installed, open the launcher and click Settings. Make sure the "CoH Directory" is correct. You can change by clicking the 'select' button.

Note: For XP Users, you may be required to right click the launcher and select "Run as Administrator" every time you launch it.

Step 3:
Click the "Check For Updates" button until it states "Eastern Front Mod is up to date.".

Step 4:
Click "Play" to start playing the mod. Have a good time and we hope you enjoy it :)

Bug Reporting or Installation Issues

If you find any Bugs or are having trouble with launching the game

Please Check here
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=1677.0

If you cant find a fix in this thread have a search through the Bugs & Tech Support part of the forum and make a post.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:12:31 PM by Enrique 'Blackbishop' E. »

Offline Bloodspew

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Front Download and Installation Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:51 PM »
My installation tips that I think will help others:

On attempt to run the newly downloaded file it errored saying folder name cannot contain any of the following characters / : <>*.  The installer default wants to make a program group called Company of Heroes: Eastern Front.  Notice the :?  I removed that to proceed.   

Once installation finished I didn't have a desktop icon to launch the mod.  So I hit Windows Start, browsed to the new "Company of Heroes Eastern Front" folder yet there was only a button to uninstall.  I searched forums and found that you need to launch the game from “EF_Launcher.exe”.  It’s not in the Windows program folder Company of Heroes Eastern Front with the uninstall option, but instead is in in my COH directory.  My own directory happened to be "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\company of heroes\EF_Launcher.exe".  I found it by doing a full computer hard drive search on "EF_Launcher.exe".

I launch the file EF_Launcher.exe from Windows Explorer.  It comes up with a little window, play or update.  Clicking on play immediately recognized I was in an old version, so it updated from their server.   I had to manually browse to the correct Steam subdirectory each time it wanted to update (4 updates I think as of Nov 4, 2010).

Now that the mod is fully updated and installed, I click on Play and it says it can’t find the location of my COH directory.  I click on the Settings menu option on top.  In lower right hand corner of settings there’s a COH directory Field, and it was blank.  I paste the STEAM directory again and save.  My own happened to be E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\company of heroes.

The game now launches to a familiar COH start screen with Multiplayer, Skirmish etc.  From there play as you would COH, with the Soviets now a 3rd option under Allies.

Offline SmurfHunter

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
Hy!

Kinda need help! So plz do help!

I first had problem with game not be able to locate coh folder, than it did locat it, but seem to have another problem with massage Game is up to date (or so).

Now, i did manage to fix all that, and followed instructions on game site, but now when i enter a game i cant see any other game, nor can anyone join me or via versa...

Kinda anyoing, so if you could help?

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
If you already installed all the updates before fixing the first error you should reinstall them again. Go to CoH Directory\EF_Updates and you will find them. If not, check this.

Also keep in mind there isn't a lot of people that plays EF, but you can check this about it.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline redtail666

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:11:27 PM »
A question about installing the different versions.  Is there a any advantage to installing the steam version over the standard download off Moddb for example, or vise versa?  I am assuming many players have a preference for one or the other.  I have only downloaded from EF website or Moddb.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 12:07:40 AM »
The problem between installing EF over Retail vs Steam is that the installer is made for the former; while it keeps some sort of compatibility with the latter, like locating the correct path on the installer, it won't save it on the initial config.

Hence, when you install EF over steam you need to change the path over the launcher settings before updating. Because the launcher automatically is set to install over "C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes".

P.S. Btw, AFAIK there's only one version of EF, currently you can't download EF from steam.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:11:38 AM by blackbishop »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline theEGG

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »
hi guys, my current version of CoH:Tales of Valor is 2.500 shall i DL the patches for my CoH:Original or only proceed to DL CoH:Tales of Valor from 2.500 to 2.601. i need your help i really want to play this mod.

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
hi guys, my current version of CoH:Tales of Valor is 2.500 shall i DL the patches for my CoH:Original or only proceed to DL CoH:Tales of Valor from 2.500 to 2.601. i need your help i really want to play this mod.

Start with 2.500-2.501, and further as follows.

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline theEGG

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »

shall i skip dling patches for COH:Original?

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »
No, you need to be patched to the latest (2.601) normal CoH patch, otherwise the Soviets will be LOCKED.

Offline theEGG

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
No, you need to be patched to the latest (2.601) normal CoH patch, otherwise the Soviets will be LOCKED.

hmm so i need to DL patch of CoH:Original 1.00-1.40 up to 1.71-2.101, then skip CoH:Opposing Front? i had finished DLing 3 patches of CoH:Tales of Valor.

Post Merge: January 25, 2011, 04:52:50 PM
sorry for all these noobish question, im very confused on where to start. if you can walk me through this it will be very much appreciated.

Post Merge: January 25, 2011, 05:04:28 PM
el diablo halp me amigo.. =)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:04:28 PM by theEGG »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
[...]
This.
Mors Indecepta

Offline theEGG

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
[...]
This.
thank you sir!

Post Merge: January 25, 2011, 05:22:27 PM
btw sir, i installed it in D:\Company of Hero is it alright to install it in this directory?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:22:27 PM by theEGG »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
There should be no problem, unless you cracked your version.
Mors Indecepta

Offline theEGG

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
omgzzz. i think i cant play this game till i get a real CoH:Tales of Valor cd. I bought the CoH:Original on a retail store but my CoH:Tales of Valor is only copied from my friend. it asks the cd when i play but i can play without cd. i get error upon patching to 2.500 - 2.501