Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Traditional Chinese Translation Errors  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Rikard Blixt

• Administrator
  • Mr. Spam
  • 'The Fixer'
    • View Profile
    • Eastern Front
Traditional Chinese Translation Errors
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »
Report here.
Valar Morghulis
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: BULLSHIT
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: I'll eat a tree if this won't work now
[CoH:EF-Dev]Rizz: ok
[CoH:EF-Dev]Rizz: I'll hold you to it
<10 minutes later>
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: I think I really gotta eat a tree...
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: got a decent one?

Offline chriscca

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional Chinese Translation Errors
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »
Some descriptions of medals are not Chinese, there still are English.
BTW, the Chinese Translation LV is good.

Offline saukopf

• Translator
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »
Some descriptions of medals are not Chinese, there still are English.
BTW, the Chinese Translation LV is good.
this file,EF_DLC_B.English.ucs,was not translated at all.
the words "tank hall" were translated as "坦克大堂",which in chinese means "a big (public) house for tank";the word "guards" was translated as "禁卫军",which in chinese means the lifeguard of Britain,while "近卫军" in chinese means the soviet unit,and you say the translation is good?

Offline kater123

• Translator
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
IMO, the Trad Chinese translation is far from "complete": almost 100% of Ostheer's descriptions are still work in progress......
and finally I opened the script and translated all on my own (with the aids from the Simple Chinese one :P) as I can't put this mod down till the official patch appeares ::).

As there is great differences between the grammar and the habits of language usage of two Chinese, I have to rephrase many words on my own too.....

And I do agree that, still some of the terms suffered "lost in translation" while being translate from English to Trad Chinese, and it is really not a easy job. So, credits should be given to the translator...

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »
I think the Simp and Trad Chinese only differs in letters, they have no difference in grammar. Too bad I don't know anything in coding but if there is a word file I can help to translate too.

Offline kater123

• Translator
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:35:40 AM »
I think the Simp and Trad Chinese only differs in letters, they have no difference in grammar. Too bad I don't know anything in coding but if there is a word file I can help to translate too.

For native speaker(like me lol), the differences between Simp and trad. are not only letters, but also the structure of the sentence and the vocabularies. I would say, the "Chinese" in Hong Kong (ya, that former British colony and the place whom refused to hand out Snowden, and where I live), China and Taiwan are so different that, everyone could easily figure out where you come from by listen to what you speak or what you write or how you construct your sentences.

Though Taiwan and Hong Kong both use the Trad Chinese, still the Taiwanese and HongKongers could not understand easily what the HongKongers/Taiwanese are writing about......

Well, for Foreigner, I guess it is too harsh to require them understanding these differences......

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
Use simple and easy sentences then XD Since I am in Malaysia and as a Chinese, it is quite easy to understand the differences through their pronunciation and their sentence structure as well.

Offline kater123

• Translator
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:57:37 AM »
Use simple and easy sentences then XD Since I am in Malaysia and as a Chinese, it is quite easy to understand the differences through their pronunciation and their sentence structure as well.
I agree lol
However, the Simple Chinese script is not this way, but long and complicated sentence, I put a large effort to make them short and simple for my own use  :'(

I can share my script if EF team wish to have a look on it ;D

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
If you like, I could promote you to Translator, however, you would need to discuss with the other Chinese translator to avoid misunderstandings in both ways of translating stuff.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline kater123

• Translator
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »
Really? It will be my pleasure to become one of the Translator  ;D

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
What is the requirement to become a translator, and how to make the texts/ scripts (with which program)? I am also interested to become a translator, for Simplified Chinese if it is possible.

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
What is the requirement to become a translator, and how to make the texts/ scripts (with which program)? I am also interested to become a translator, for Simplified Chinese if it is possible.

Very good knowledge of English and the language you are translating to.
We have a browser programm that allows you to view every already translated or still open translations.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »
Can I apply for that and do I need to make a post or informing about the Chinese Translations? I thought it needs sort of coding or advanced program. I think I am OK in both languages, except the military terms (like unit name) but I believe some research can solve that XD

Offline kater123

• Translator
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
Can I apply for that and do I need to make a post or informing about the Chinese Translations? I thought it needs sort of coding or advanced program. I think I am OK in both languages, except the military terms (like unit name) but I believe some research can solve that XD

Thank God, I am quite familiar with the Eastern Front(not the game but the history) lol, may be I can give you a hand on those terms XD And I think I am ok in English too :P

So BlackBishop, may I apply or what I have to do to apply for the translator of Trad. Chinese?   :D