Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: ARMA 2 in Black Russia  (Read 2076 times)

Offline UeArtemis

• Major
  • aka Cossack
    • View Profile
    • Company of Heroes: Eastern Front (mod)
ARMA 2 in Black Russia
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »
Interesting fact:
ARMA 2 is set primarily in the Eastern European nation of Chernarus, (meaning "Black Russia’"). Authors thought that this is a fictional country, but were wrong. Black Russia are a region around Novgorodok, in the western part of contemporary Belarus on the upper reaches of the Neman River.
I believe in one thing only, the power of the human will. © Joseph Stalin

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
Re: ARMA 2 in Black Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
Interesting fact:
ARMA 2 is set primarily in the Eastern European nation of Chernarus, (meaning "Black Russia’"). Authors thought that this is a fictional country, but were wrong. Black Russia are a region around Novgorodok, in the western part of contemporary Belarus on the upper reaches of the Neman River.
Why's it called black Russia?
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline PoldekPL

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »
(I'm from Poland, so I understand it easily)
Chernarus --> cherna rus

cherna - черный (chernyĭ) - "black" in russian ("czarna" in polish - see the similarity?)
rus - russia - Россия (Rossiya) - Russia ("Rosja" - another similarity)

Offline UeArtemis

• Major
  • aka Cossack
    • View Profile
    • Company of Heroes: Eastern Front (mod)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
Ruthenia/Rus (Русь) in ancient times was divided into the Black, the Red and the White Rus. Nobody knows exactly why it was so. There are different theories. Black and White Rus are Republic Belarus (White Rus) now. Red Rus is Ukraine now.

About names:
Russia (Rossia - Россия) is Ρωσία - a Greek variance of word Русь (Rus'). Now it mean only the RF.
Ruthenia is a Latinization of word Русь (Rus'). Now it mean Kievan Rus (on English) or Transcarpathian Ukraine (on Russian, Рутения).
And the Russian language has such words:
Rusish (Русский - Rusky ;D) mean Ruthenian, Eastern Slav
and
Russian (Российский - Rosiysky, Россиянин - Rosiyanin, Russian man) mean modern Russian.
Rusin (Русин) is Carpathian Ruthenian man.
Rusich (Русич) is Kievan Ruthenian man.

In English is big confusion: all can be called Russia. In Russian all is clearer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:48:44 PM by UeArtemis »
I believe in one thing only, the power of the human will. © Joseph Stalin