Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Shade see-through contour ...  (Read 2455 times)

Offline heinrich.rommel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Shade see-through contour ...
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:08:35 AM »
hello

i will be brief...

when i get back from work, i love to un-wind with either abit of skirmish with AI or with my pal...

i can allmost smell the gunpowder and feel the hot, contorted metal from a shell :D :D

this mod, E.F., ROCKS !

i have a question to devs though ...
you know that wehen playing, if any unit goes behind a tree or house, you see a colored shadow-see-through of it...

dunno about others, but i m terribly annoyed at it :((
it wrecks immersion to see that fugly thing :( and i dont think i m alone on this

was wondering...
is it possible to code that see-shadow out of the game ?  so that if a unit is behind a tree, it looks as in real life, aka beeing obscured by the obstacle in front of it, AS NORMAL and NOT with the stupid colored contour ?

OR.....give it a switch on/ off at the start of the game or in graphics option  (would also improve performance on less powerfull machines, as the pc wouldnt have to calculate as many polygons)

OR....at the very least, when i watch a replay ? :)

i know what some will argue...how will you see your unit if its behind a house ?!
to that i respond:
 1) stop beeing n00b-ish and forget your own units....keep tabs at all times!
    i just got started and so far, i never forgot a unit, even small squadrons ... the mini-map is A+, more than enough to keep tabs

2) if you forget where a unit is...you deserve to lose! no real army commander would forget his troops placement :))  hehe

so...is it possible?  as an option at least? :D 

thanks

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Shade see-through contour ...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »
Unique request, but i think they can't do it, because probably will change a feature from the original coh, and they are against that.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Rahvenich

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »
Also it would give the computer AI an unfair advantage, as it would be able to see the units obscured or not.

Offline heinrich.rommel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
ok...how about this ?

lets suppose E.F. devs make this possible  WITH  the unique exception of men hiding in buildings  (when men garrison in buildings )

and even then.... no more full colored contour....JUST colored outline of their body !
 (check Age of Empires 2 to see how a person moving behind a building, has a colored body contour...thisi s much more subtle)

and as far as vehicles are concerned..... cmoon !
 if a a Tiger, sherman etc are behind trees...you will see them :D
 even if they try to take cover behind a building.....in no way can a building obscure even a small vehicle, that good as to make it totally invisible !

doubt the A.I. would have that much great advantage

as a compensation, if needed, code the A.I. so if it passes past an enemy unit taking cover behind something LARGE, it has 80% chance of ignoring it and keeps on moving :D 

regarding the chance to the original C.O.H... cmooon :)))
 this is  M O D D I N G :D ...
 its MEANT to change the original :))

they changed the original in a much deeper way anyway, than mear graphics !!!  REMEBER ?
  they changed the very A.I., didnt they ?
  was there a problem with that ?! Hell NO !
  ( NOTE: maybe some balancing issues, but they are beeing resolved)

changing a small number of pixels is ALOT less than changing the very core of the game, the A.I. :D
 if they pulled that one off....i d imagine doing this, wouldnt take them more than a coffee break and 3 key-strokes :))

it would make the gameplay (or watching reruns ) much more enjoyable :)

the ONLY forseeble problem is in human vs human matches....as some might speculate taller buildings to hide behind !
 BUt GUYS! during the real WW2, knowing when to hide, when to move, when to attack is what made the difference between military geniuses aka Rommel, Michael Wittman etc and the regular grunt .....right ?
 would it be so bad to reward a guy is he is very good at utilizing terrain, buildings etc to hiw own advantage ?!
 i d say it opens up possibalities :D

Offline My Name Is Ante

• Guard
  • Please, my name is Ante not Dante
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »
I believe there was a mod that allow you to hide the shade
However I forget what mod it is and never try to search, but base on the talk of the forum, I believe the mod is used to take beautiful art of the game as the people in that forum are similar to you: they find the shade was annoying.

However, I don't know if the mod compatible with EF...
Better to ask the Dev about that...

Hope it can help...
Thanks...
I am sorry for my bad

Offline heinrich.rommel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »

btw...i do not want to take anything beautiful out of the game :))

just that shade ... everything else is just fine

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
  • Id explain WWII to you but your head would explode
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »
that would be a huge problem on maps like sevastapol where 2/3s of the damn map are covered in wrecked hanger roofs.

Relic, the all powerful god of history and physics which can be bent to their every whim!!
Relic name: SauerKRAUTSHD

Offline hgghg4

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »
yeah its the only map where Arty and Mortars are almost completely fucking useless

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 06:39:36 PM »
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf