Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Brandenburger unit and dora / schwerer Gustav railway artillery  (Read 6909 times)

Offline angeljoanes

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Brandenburger unit and dora / schwerer Gustav railway artillery
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »
Well, I always thought that eastern front is where the axis gathered the most large, elite, and powerful unit... One of those unit you might consider to add to the ostheer is Brandenburger unit. Brandenburger is an elite unit whose every members in the unit could speak more than two or three foreign languages. Their job is to disrupt the frontlines and confuse the enemy by wearing the enemy uniform. Here is the references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburger_Regiment [nofollow]

And one more weapon that I thought could make a good addition is the Schwerer Gustav / dora... The largest railway artillery ever built. It been used in the siege of Sevastopol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dora_%28artillery%29 [nofollow]

Also if you really make ostheer add on, please make the German soldier speak full German... I'm tired to listen those German soldier who speak half German, half English (Make the game look less realistic)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:20:43 PM by angeljoanes »

Offline 250.Inf. Div.

• Guard
    • View Profile
Re: Brandenburger unit and dora / schwerer Gustav railway artillery
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
you can use this unit in heersgrupe nord mod, this is a good idea add this unit in eastern front.

a curious is in this unit served french,spanish and italians.

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
  • Id explain WWII to you but your head would explode
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »
Altough lighter railway guns were more common they were still rare and the the Schwerer Gustav und Dora only fired 30 odd shells in anger and took 3 days and nearly 10,000 people to set up and operate as well as taking as long as 40min in between shots. Besides the the schwerers the of 15 or so kinds of railroad guns the Germans made only 60 or so TOTAL were made with an average of 5 being built of each series because of how they were typically just a way to use leftover guns from abandoned projects or defensive positions. This number would not accurately represent covering the EF in general and the guns often didn't or couldn't work in batteries because of space and other logistical concerns.

Relic, the all powerful god of history and physics which can be bent to their every whim!!
Relic name: SauerKRAUTSHD

Offline greyreth

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »
one of the most interesting artillery units in the war and should definitely be depicted. basically, many final super-abilities are represented with a massive strike of some kind. the only question remains: how to describe the action? whether it will be a V2, or an IL2, or a powerful howitzer... things are easier with an extra aircraft model emerging over the battlefield - but how should we introduce Gustav, for example? adding an icon is too simple but adding a train is too much...)
(c)

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:43:54 AM »
having a railway gun would be just about the same as a V1. It would cause about the same amount of damage, explosion size and ridiculous recharge time. You are pretty much asking for something that is already in the game to be relabeled and less cool in my opinion (railway guns don't make the loud buzzing sound V1's do when they come down).

[insert signature here]

Offline angeljoanes

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »
Okay... The railway artillery maybe to much... But I think the brandenburger unit is a cool addition

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
Yes brandenburger would be, there was a division of the SS and paratroops that masqueraded as Allied troops and went as far as to make their tanks look american, you could use them in the old battle of the bulge mod

Relic, the all powerful god of history and physics which can be bent to their every whim!!

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »
The Panzergrenadierdivision Brandenburger wasnt a Waffe-SS formation ;) It was an army unit - just a small note  ;D
May the force be with you.

Offline angeljoanes

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »
Hmmm, for the brandenburger, I still have no idea how to apply them in the game. Did they have the ability to really masquerade as enemy troops (Just like the spy in red alert) or just an elite infantry with camouflage ability

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
probably the latter, it would be easier and how can you pretend to be army A if only army C is being used? It would take to much to work, in BOTB there were only Americans. Also Slavic languages are really hard for Germanic based language speakers to use without accent and English is Germanic. So would it just be like fallschimjagers/partisians then? (damn do not have my umlauted a on this keyboard    >:(). I can understand the want for the railway arty, would be silly, butit is just so inplausible and yes Rommel I know lol.

Offline angeljoanes

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
I have thought about this unit and I come up with a concept. Here is my concept. Brandenburger will be a four man strong with stg44. They are as strong as Soviet shock guard. Although they are that strong, their main ability is to sabotage resource point. Sabotaged resource point only generated half the resources until the engineers come and fix it. They also could donning enemy uniform. When they in enemy's uniform, they couldn't attack (Brandenburger ethics code) and enemies also couldn't attack them for short period of time until they are too close to be recognized. They also have the ability to make the enemy soldier retreat... Of course because all of their advantages, they are pretty expensive and available at second tier. 

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
That is essentially camo, it would be so hard to deceive a player that they have an extra unit they cannot control so camo would be a good representation and if they had STGs they would not fit the uniform anyway and soviets cannot retreat as well.

Offline angeljoanes

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 03:41:07 PM »
Hmmm. you're right... Camo would be a good representation. And also they couldn't attack at all when they are in cammo

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
well like any unit if they shoot they reveal themselves

Offline angeljoanes

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »
well like any unit if they shoot they reveal themselves

Hmmm... That makes them looks like the other unit... I rather like the idea that they couldn't shoot at all when in camo...