Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: [1.04] Hello - My Rant  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Reinefarth

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
[1.04] Hello - My Rant
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:56:22 PM »
Hello,

I have been playing EF Mod for some time now, and I'm testing it on differen Maps. I find the mod realy cool, but as Axis freak I am very disapointed and frustrated with the balance.

Playing the Opposing Front Mod (PE) against Soviets is nonsense. It is suicide and gets me so frustrated, I could smash my screen! You need tons of fuel to even build or upgrade the most stupid and simple things, while the Soviets rush your base and cut your throat.

It is already unbalnced if you play as Wehrmacht. Germans are slooooooooow in every possible manner. Their troops even seem to run slower. While soviets can build their bases realy quick and get everything much faster, Germans have to research everything so they can build the next base. If I don't play a map, where I can block off the enemy at bridges or crossings with barbed wire or tank traps or bunkers, I am always overrun. The soviet pioniers are double the size, fire much faster with their automatic rifles than Germans. Then they get these officer units that can call in mortars, that are extremly hard to kill.
They dont need to research their building in their HQ and dominate the battlefield/map very easy.
So big deal that they cant retreat. All you need to do is command and move them back to base to refill the units.
Their antitank rifles are like snipers. One shot one kill. German Units need tons of amo to upgrade - each unit needs amo to upgrade (Puma f.e.)
Soviets upgrade once (SU, T34) and now can build the better stronger version for ever, not having to upgrade each unit seperately.

Comparing the Doctrines of Soviets vs. Germans, Germans are now a joke. Propaganda doesnt work. The terror doctrine was always worth shit. except the King Tiger.

Playing PE against soviets makes me sick. just a few AT Rifle squads and all those expensive shit armored cars, Marders are junk. The simple soviet Pioniers/engineers are all stronger and cheaper than the 3 man shit squds of the PE units. PE needs to upgrade eveery single unit so they get better rifles, which soviets start off with from begining.

It seems the developers of this mod have taken all the good stuff from CoH and stuffed it into the soviets.
Soviet repair units are faster and cheaper as the bergetiger of PE. Soviet airstrike is even better and more accurate than the Henshel airstrike of PE. I once had an 88 and 2 Ostwind and they all werent able to shoot down a single plane. Are they invulonarable?

I have read some of the suggestions of the ostheer you are planning. It seems you are very concerned, that the soviets can keep the upper hand.

I know Im a newbie and my opinion counts nothing, but I would finaly wish to see some units the makers of CoH have ignored in all mods persistantly. German Artillery! SIG 150, Lfh 105, SFH 150mm or 170mm.

And maybe some Units that arent just a joke and waste of space like this idiotic Kettenkrad of PE which can do nothing except drive around and get killed.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:11:25 AM by BurroDiablo »

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello - My Rant
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:03:29 AM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:19:37 AM by BurroDiablo »

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:51:27 AM »
Lol seems like [1.00] version of Soviets, now [1.04] it's not entirely true mate... I find the PE even better vs Soviet than Wehr, MP44 rapes infantry like grim reaper with chainsaw and 2x Marders kills those T34s like flies. Check your version and then check some PE Strategy tips on this forum.

There are lots of thing with EF which needs to be done but as your post describes it, my guess is that you have old version of EF...

nbeerbower

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:46:25 AM »
Agreed. With PE go T1-T3 Luftwaffe, never fails me against Soviets. Luft Engineers are a good match for conscripts and can get easy vet, plus flakvierlings are good for cutting down infantry. (Plus the Soviets can't recrew it) Tier 1 lets you get larger squads and Scout Cars. Tier 3 has armored cars if your opponent decides to skip Support Barracks, and Marders if they try to rush T-34s. Then like wordsmith said, don't get me started on MP44s. ;) Also get the Panther Battlegroup ASAP.

PE are fine against Soviets. You have to adjust your strategy against them though.

Offline Ghost

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
or choose tank destroyer and build infantry only. assault grens vs inf and double schreck tankbusters vs vehicles. worked fine every time i tried it. (version 1.04)
Jagd[tiger] is a buildable replacement for the Kettenkrad... It can cloak and cap points. :P

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
I don't want to sound rude, but you're definitely very new in the COH game and hence many things seem OP/useless.

It also sounds like you're playing version 1.00 cause the AT rifles vs infantry were fixed in later patches. If that is the case please make sure you update to 1.04 where alot of things were fixed.

I know Im a newbie and my opinion counts nothing, but I would finaly wish to see some units the makers of CoH have ignored in all mods persistantly. German Artillery! SIG 150, Lfh 105, SFH 150mm or 170mm

If there is too much arty in game it spoils the gameplay. Arty spam is one of the worst thing in COH and its anything but fun.

WH already has enough arty which comes in different forms -nebels,Stukas,off map defensive arty, Firestorm,V1,officer arty
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
Don't forget Mortars. Holy moly I feel like it's raining metal some times. If I happen to breach a defensive I might find 3-4 mortars in the same place all launching at the same time!

Hence where I got my "Super Mortar" Concept (:<
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Reinefarth

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
I don't want to sound rude, but you're definitely very new in the COH game and hence many things seem OP/useless.

It also sounds like you're playing version 1.00 cause the AT rifles vs infantry were fixed in later patches. If that is the case please make sure you update to 1.04 where alot of things were fixed.

If there is too much arty in game it spoils the gameplay. Arty spam is one of the worst thing in COH and its anything but fun.

WH already has enough arty which comes in different forms -nebels,Stukas,off map defensive arty, Firestorm,V1,officer arty

I have version 1.04. Try playing Kharkov Map against Soviets with PE. (AI at Expert). You get screwed with so little fuel. I played with Luftwaffe doctrine. My Flakvierling was blown away by soviet pak, after  snipers kept killing the crew. Wasnt able to defend the keypoints and was rushed and cut off. any infantry reinforcment was cut down, because they had t34 very soon. While I was only able to build these crap armored cars.

Do tell me about Arty spam. soviets have enough of that, dont they. Even snipers can call in artillery. Hell, they dont need artillery, their mortars are enough.
One One hit of a 120 morter and I can kiss my knightcross squad good bye.
I would rather have  one german artillery gun, than these off map guns. Ever since I played this game, I have only built a nebelwerfer once, to see how it looks like. Otherwise it is waste of manpower. The Stuka is much better, costs only 4 men, instead of 5 and is much more mobile. The best german unit in this game and my personal favourite is the 88, allthough it isnt vey realistic from its firepower . One 88  flanked by bunkers and pak, backed by mortars and allies can RIP.  ;D
I have played CoH for years, but honestly, who ever has used those crap options in the german doctrinees.like resource blitz,zeal, inspired assoult, for the fatherland? Like thats going to help against a tank armada when your standing there with a few infantry. Waste of amo points.

A friend of mine who wast beta tester of the games and a game "celebrety" who never lost a game as axis, quit it because the allied players were constantly whining about how overpowered the axis was and the developers have constantly leveled the game to a degree, wehre Germans have had their qualities constantly reduced.

Everyone has his playing style. I like the defensive game, where I can let the enemy run into my traps and cut them down. Rushing isn't my style.

BTW: concerning the "grim reaper" STG44. First you need to upgrade them first with amo. You dont have that sort of Amo in the begining. Not even with Blitzkrieg Inf.Assoult Team. You need 50 Amo for every damned rifle you want to upgrade. And that was exactly my point. Soviets just need to upgrade it once in their research post, and now can produce it upgraded in masses. That isn't balanced at all. And those 2 Pioniers you get in the begining, the get cut down like nothing or have to retreat imediatly if the wish to survive. One soviet mortar, and all those expensive StG44 or MG34 are wasted for nothing. Soviet Inf. Rush with officers even cut down my MG42 in a building. At start of the game where every unit is precious and expensive, if you lose it then, you have practicly lost the game altready, because you cant build as fast as the enemy rushes the points.
Also check how fast they take the points. Look how long it takes for even a 5 Man Volksgrenadier compared to one ore two soviet inf. units. Im often damned surprised when I see, how just one man is running around in my rear territory takes the points so fast. Faster than my units can run there.

Thanks for the input anyway. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:15:36 PM by Reinefarth »

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
Insane AI has a considerable income bonus(perhaps too much) and unlike the vanila AI it can be quite good with units kiting etc....
So, yeah the AI will tech up alot faster and bring out more units than you'd expect and do stuff...which is why balance is better tested vs humans.

I'm not saying soviets haven't got arty...but its not like they have more than anyone else
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

nbeerbower

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
Yeah dude, you gotta drop a skill level with the new AI.

Also, use Scout Cars to lock down points. And Pioneers can easily kill Ingenery squads.

I have to agree with you to some degree on the capping. Ingenery should be able to quickly cap since they can be killed so easily. But Conscripts should IMO take a slightly longer time than Panzer Grens; I think it would more sense gameplay-wise and realistically.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »
You should try playing on normal or versus human; also i find difficult to play defensively with PE :).
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »
I tried Kharkov as PE&Wehr several times vs Expert AI and was unable to even hold it for longer time :) it is a small map and PE Kettens have to move around that train station which renders unable for PE to harass Soviet points... PG cap like crap (0.75) and Ketten is killed on the way around. With Wehr I was able to hold a little longer but still loose badly. My advice - as Blackbishop mentioned  - play vs Normal PC or Humans. You find it challenging sometimes even vs Normal PC, don't worry :)

Offline Ghost

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »
first of all, pls rename the topic like [1.04] (name of the problem you want to discuss)

the new expert AI is a lot better than before which makes the games more interesting. i mostly play vs normal or hard.

but some things you said...
come on, PE isn't designed for defense play. use their offensive strengths against the soviets.
i don't understand your point about the nebelwerfers and stukas. nebelwerfers only cost manpower (~325) are very effective vs inf while stukas cost ~220 manpower, 20 fuel and 150 munitions...and you don't have 150 mun all the time.
and the stg44, if you play as PE you don't have to pay munitions for the assault grens unless for those units already in the field.
the il-2 problem has its own thread: http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=3032.0
the propaganda war ability as well and it's being worked on  ::)

I have read some of the suggestions of the ostheer you are planning. It seems you are very concerned, that the soviets can keep the upper hand.
  :P are you talking of suggestions coming from the comunity (which are not really representing the final ostheer)? the devs are doing their best to balance the game which is very difficult. but maybe the 1.05 patch will solve the major balance problems.

Their antitank rifles are like snipers. One shot one kill.
doesn't sound like 1.04 but more like 1.0

I have played CoH for years, but honestly, who ever has used those crap options in the german doctrinees.like resource blitz,zeal, inspired assoult, for the fatherland? Like thats going to help against a tank armada when your standing there with a few infantry. Waste of amo points.
and what would actually help in that situation  ???
exept from the ARMY ÜBER TROOPS (aprils fool joke) :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:12:27 AM by kingtiger »
Jagd[tiger] is a buildable replacement for the Kettenkrad... It can cloak and cap points. :P

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 01:47:15 AM »
A common rule of thumb:
Soviet Easy=American Normal
Soviet Normal=American Hard
Soviet Hard=2 American Expert
Soviet Expert=Error, Undefined. Contact system administrator immediately. Error code=C9U 2 1337!!!!11!!!!one
"Balancers are 10 a penny"