Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Omg, the AI is great! :)  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Lander0101

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Omg, the AI is great! :)
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
I must say, that AI beats the shit out of me. I can win only on easy, while on normal it eventually breaks me(after hour an a half of gameplay).

I would like the information about resources and manpower bonus(if there are any) on different difficulties.

Offline doomfreak777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Omg, the AI is great! :)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
The AI is truly terrible, me and my friend play 2v2, and when looking back at replays vs a Hard/Expert, (which we have fought our way upto) they gain twice as much manpower as they should be.
It says +270 for them, but we worked out they are getting around 600 manpower per minute where ours stays the same.
Tried uninstalling Eastern Front and the AI is still ridiculous, nothing changed so will probably uninstall the whole of COH and reinstall.
You might be enjoying not winning now, but when you have to squish yourself into a corner and fortify your base before slowly pushing back you will get well and truly pissed off with this.

As for stats, Expert AI gain 3 times the amount of manpower they should be getting.
I hope you are patient :)

Offline Jimbosmith

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »
Quoted from Sweeten2213 who developed the AI

The only AI "boost" from difficulty level to difficulty level is the multiplier for resources.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe Easy is 1.0 (meaning the same as a human), normal 1.1 or 1.2, hard a little higher and expert a little higher than that.

So say if it were 1.5 and their income would be 300 mp (using even numbers), they would get 450 mp per minute instead of 300 mp.

Though some accuse the AI of "cheating" due to this (which I understand the point, but vanilla AI does the same with resource bonuses AND health bonuses), the reality is the AI no matter how "smart" you make it needs extra resources to make more "human like" decisions.

Whereas you, the human, know to make a purchase/use an ability at the precise moment you have enough, the AI tends to want a little more than enough and always has some in reserve.  So, in reality, it doesn't fully use the bonuses it gets and never will.

Offline doomfreak777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »
Yeah I see what you mean but it's completly unfair when you have 3 units on the field and they have 20, it doesnt matter if you are Steven bloody Hawking there is absolutely no way to counter it with the amount of resource you have

Offline Lander0101

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:02:39 AM »
I think developers should look into this AI modification when it comes out for 2.601 version:

newbielink:http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=240816 [nonactive]

The modder stated that he actually removed resource bonuses and health bonuses, and the AI is remarkably good.
However, on site is currently only 2.601 version.
Take look at it please :)

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »

You might be enjoying not winning now, but when you have to squish yourself into a corner and fortify your base before slowly pushing back you will get well and truly pissed off with this.

Hmm I thrive in positions like that, I play defensively so it is easy to recover :)
Molly: " It's our rock garden"
Dwight: "What are you farming, Bullcrap?"

You Are a Rebel Spy and a traitor to the Empire!
~Darth Vader

Any typos found may be given to Seeme.

Killar

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:51:39 AM »
I began playing eastern front when it came out in Jan. After 10 minutes my base was surrounded. i deleted the mod.

now in version 1.04 i´m training on severe. hope i can beat russian cpu on expert soon ..... dreaming :P

Offline bSword

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:15:32 AM »
The AI in Eastern Front is tougher than the AI in the unmodded game.  I can beat beat Panzer Elite on Hard but Wehrmacht on Hard are too hard, they start pumping out too many Stugs and Pumas really early on.  The British are a good match though, they will actually fight back, in the unmodded game the British AI in a 1v1 game is really useless and doesn't do anything.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:02:42 AM »
I noticed that normal AI gets +33% more resources while hard +100%.

But theres a soviet tactic that can kill any AI.
A trench (propaganda strategy) crawl. Just build 2 thenches man them with any kind of infantry (AT rifle squads are great) place a mortar and an AT gun behind (not to close) it and just let youre enemy come.
Trenches are great for big squads all men caf fire in the same direction. (in houses there are only as much shootres as there are windows)
Unlike the British trenches soviets can repair them.
When in trench, low health dosnt matter much and most of the russian troops are more resistant to flames than British.

Offline stryker

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
I love what this mod has done to the AI.  They're far more aggressive and a normal AI player is now a worthy adversary which means we have somewhere to aspire to.  I only launch CoH using the mod even if I'm going comp bashing as a consequence. 

AI arty
The only thing I've noticed is the mod's AI seems just as likely to build artillery as the standard CoH AI would, but they don't seem to use them?  We had a player drop the other night and when AI took over his patch he had a heap of pop tied up in 5 russian artillery bases, which the normal AI never fired for the rest of the game.

Don't know if that's intentional, a bug, or a legacy of something in the original CoH AI...but an observation.

I also note the mod's AI will (after firing a Kat at my base) drive the Kat into my base to be destroyed by MG fire.  It's probably the only truly silly thing I see it routinely do.

Back to the original reason for posting: I am a fan of the mod's AI.  It's made it a true alternative to playing humans imo.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »
I love what this mod has done to the AI.  They're far more aggressive and a normal AI player is now a worthy adversary which means we have somewhere to aspire to.  I only launch CoH using the mod even if I'm going comp bashing as a consequence. 

AI arty
The only thing I've noticed is the mod's AI seems just as likely to build artillery as the standard CoH AI would, but they don't seem to use them?  We had a player drop the other night and when AI took over his patch he had a heap of pop tied up in 5 russian artillery bases, which the normal AI never fired for the rest of the game.

Don't know if that's intentional, a bug, or a legacy of something in the original CoH AI...but an observation.

I also note the mod's AI will (after firing a Kat at my base) drive the Kat into my base to be destroyed by MG fire.  It's probably the only truly silly thing I see it routinely do.

Back to the original reason for posting: I am a fan of the mod's AI.  It's made it a true alternative to playing humans imo.
When I play vs AI soviets he just gathers around VPs and rarelly sends his units (just a small part of them) closer to my base. How is that aggressive?  ???
Gaining more resources is not being aggresive.

I also noticed AI building firebases allways in the same positions. Near VPs.

Offline stryker

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
When I play vs AI soviets he just gathers around VPs and rarelly sends his units (just a small part of them) closer to my base. How is that aggressive?  ???
Gaining more resources is not being aggresive.

I also noticed AI building firebases allways in the same positions. Near VPs.
I only just beat a long game against AI and he was all around and in my base most of the game.  I can't comment for what you're seeing, only it's not my experience.

Offline hgghg4

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:43 AM »
try playing annihilate then see how aggressive they are 0_o

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
I only just beat a long game against AI and he was all around and in my base most of the game.  I can't comment for what you're seeing, only it's not my experience.
Thats what Im saing. "AI and he was all around" the map. You had a long game becouse AI never made the final push with all af his unts into youre base.
If you watch a AI soviet replay youll see how many units on the field AI had and didnt use.

Offline stryker

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
Thats what Im saing. "AI and he was all around" the map. You had a long game becouse AI never made the final push with all af his unts into youre base.
If you watch a AI soviet replay youll see how many units on the field AI had and didnt use.
Sorry, still I disagree.  He was all around and inside my base, not all around the map.  It was a long game only because it was a struggle to get out of my corner.  But when I did he kept coming back in waves.

Maybe it's the map I was playing?  What you're suggesting is not what I typically see.