Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Command Squad and Criticals  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
Re: Command Squad and Starting Squad
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
Why not give the CS SVT 40s as a default weapon or upgrade? I see that the skirmish commander from OH has g43s, so it would make sense that the bodyguards have decent guns to their counterparts. After all G43=SVT40.

But if its too powerful to give the CS the guard SVT40s, we could always just give them the weaker Naval Infantry SVTs. After all, they are body guards of an important major and should be given better weapons than a regular conscript would get.
It's entirely possible to create an own SVT based weapon, sure.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

chaosval3

Re: Command Squad and Criticals
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
Err, what about the PPS43 upgrade? Does this mean the Skirmish Commander should have access to a weapon upgrade as well? Isn't this the same as changing things for the sake of changing? Honestly, I don't mind, but in that case, both the CS and SC should be practically mirrored imo.

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 11:24:12 PM »
Well, I suppose that it could go either way. There are many different options that could be tested out.

1. The CS could be like guards and have mosins by default but later on having the option of upgrading to PSS43 OR the SVT40 later on in the game (Keep in mind the SVT40 rifle is the stronger variant that the guards have)

2. The CS could begin with the weaker SVT40 rifles that the Naval Infantry have by default, then have the option of the PPS43 replacing them later on (Don't underestimate the power of the naval infantry SVT though, they are still significantly better than the regular mosin rifles)

3. Similar to my first suggestion, they could start of as they are now, but be upgrade similar to stormtroopers, the squad can have the option of upgrading to 2 different weapon packages 2 times. So they could chose to have 1 package of 2 SVT40s and another package of PPS-43 (combination of long and short range). Or they could choose to go all out 4 SVT40s or 4 PPS43's. These packages can be 50 munitions each (the SVT40s have the same strength as the guard ones).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:53:45 PM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 02:36:14 AM »
Its been several days and no responses, so will the CS have better anti infantry instead of just high health (especially early on)
My personal favorite

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »
Its been several days and no responses, so will the CS have better anti infantry instead of just high health (especially early on)
I'll say it once more: the CS himself has the exact same stats as the former 5 man squad. The difference is now that the PPS upgrade is less strong on him and he's actually better when used in cover. Also his global veterancy is better compared to the old one. Overall, more reasons to go t1 than even. There won't be any drastic changes, maybe I'll add 1 damage to the guard rifle or something like that. Or replace the Mosin with SVTs for optical reasons mostly. But that's about it.

Just think about it : the more powerful you make the CS the more important you make snipers, and the more unattractive you make t1 starts. Simply because Ost always Plays snipers, and CS is only countered by snipers earlygame. So if you make the CS even stronger the snipers become more important.

Since all Ostheer Players use snipers t1 becomes even less attractive because t1 has no snipers itself. Hence soviets will use t2 starts even more, resulting in even more sniper wars.

I'll rather go with buffing Spotters. More cost and therefor better performance overall. That will help more than buffing the CS. Because stronger spotters make snipers LESS attractive.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:28:53 PM by Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S. »

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline ATL

• Ingenery
  • Fear the Sturmpanzerjäg... whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
I feel like I'd only add an SVT40 package to the Command squad as a midgame, long range upgrade in contrast with the PPS.  And maybe changing the PPS package would be nice, since only 3 guns for the guards cause some weird stuff, like having Danko with the SMG, and one guard with the rifle, which overall increases the DPS compared with the starting upgraded squad, where you have crappy revolver. Changing it so that this doesn't happens or even having 4 SMGs and each dealing 75% of the former damage to balance it would be the only changes to the Command squad.

And please, no aesthetic SVT40, just let the Mosin, I already find strange the SVT40 from the Navals with the bolt action rifle stats (they even had the bolt animation in older versions), G41 from the old Landser leader shared this and I didn't like it either (I should have made a topic about this long time ago).

About Danko having heroic criticals, while it seems nice, I don't know, KCHs are lategame 3 member infantry squads, British officers are squads by themselves so they can be focus fired easily (if in range ofc). It's annoying to lose Danko from sniping when you were to activate his abilities (I know how it feels  :'(), but balancers will tell I guess.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:57:08 PM by ATL »
Amateur player and statistics maniac
"Deep understanding of the gameplay mechanics and skill is better than mere skill"

chaosval3

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
Yeah, but the thing is that there are no mediating options. You either take away the CS's abilities or the Sniper loses its strength by being unable to kill a squad member in one shot. In my opinion, CS is just fine. If anything, we could perhaps reserve an SVT upgrade option for a future reward doctrine :P. They do some decent damage, but it's more their health that's important to me. Acting like a big damage sponge is quite interesting, especially when you are focusing on conscripts.