Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: English voice overs?  (Read 8272 times)

Offline SublimeSnugz

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • Zeh fucking truck won't lock down! Its OVAH! . . .
    • View Profile
Re: English voice overs?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 12:04:30 AM »
yeah it seems not doable at the time with the voice acting. but maybe you could hook up with some voice actors somewhere? its been done in other mods im sure of that.

nbeerbower

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
I think the Devs should really look into getting voice acting done only for like 50-100 of the most vital lines and make an alternate voice file.

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
Would it really be hard to find one guy to do the announcer voices which there are only a few? I'm fine with my troops speaking Russian unless they're crying that they're under attack.
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 01:49:39 AM »
Aren't there side messages on the screen? Be aware of whats going on is all you need to do , there are several viable solutions that have been presented and an announcer is one that is considered invalid.
Molly: " It's our rock garden"
Dwight: "What are you farming, Bullcrap?"

You Are a Rebel Spy and a traitor to the Empire!
~Darth Vader

Any typos found may be given to Seeme.

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 03:16:00 AM »
Aren't there side messages on the screen? Be aware of whats going on is all you need to do , there are several viable solutions that have been presented and an announcer is one that is considered invalid.
I don't know the proper term, but I mean the mysterious voice that says things like "We've lost a unit." or "The enemy is taking territory."
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline InRussiaCarDriveYou

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
I can speak English with a heavy Russian accent and my dad can too and he has one of those really heavy accents.

Offline TomaSkTemplar

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:23 PM »
omg why should everyone hear English? You dont understand ? Learn ! If you are lazy, its your problem. Neither English or Russian is my native language but I understand them. I love ignorants degenerating games to Engrish only...because thats the only language they understand.
If you could listen, for example ISU speaks "Firefly go(a)tov", firefly ready, I think IS-2 says- em dvacaťšesť - m 26...of Pershing. But it is still better than listening to some english with some accent. Because dont get me wrong, you wont get it done really professionally. Better get some Russians speak their language not Greykhound...etc. But of course it seems there is rather short supply of Russians willing to do it.(and having equipment needed)
So for me its good the way it it. Could be better, but its still fine.

Offline PoldekPL

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »
I agree, we need new voices... but in russian. US... are US, they use english :P germans have their voices (english with english accent which suck), so russians should speak in russian not english with sucky english accent. 1/3 of present voices are good (they don't contain unit names or so), but many units (MOSTLY TANKS) shout like they're US/Brit units...

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
omg why should everyone hear English? You dont understand ? Learn ! If you are lazy, its your problem. Neither English or Russian is my native language but I understand them. I love ignorants degenerating games to Engrish only...because thats the only language they understand.
If you could listen, for example ISU speaks "Firefly go(a)tov", firefly ready, I think IS-2 says- em dvacaťšesť - m 26...of Pershing. But it is still better than listening to some english with some accent. Because dont get me wrong, you wont get it done really professionally. Better get some Russians speak their language not Greykhound...etc. But of course it seems there is rather short supply of Russians willing to do it.(and having equipment needed)
So for me its good the way it it. Could be better, but its still fine.
Russian is a difficult language for native Englis speakers to learn, and I'm sure not learning Russian for a game mod. Besides, I don't have time.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
I tried learning german and I failed, Badly. I can say I tried.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline TomaSkTemplar

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
the funny thing is you have a very high standard of gaming, where everything is translated to English. You may wonder how non-English speakers play games when they dont have a clue what is what and what to do... It is not difficult really, it doesnt mean you will have to understand what they say, it means you will at least learn which sound means what, even if you dont have the hearing used to Russian. And actually Russian language is far more useful than youd believe...

So in my opinion there is nothing wrong with units what they actually say and you should either get used to not understanding, or get used to learning something out of the English box. At school I was taught like 9 years German language, no English, no Russian. Wasnt interested, because I didnt choose it. (poor teachers etc.) But not that I dont know anything...

I am not going to argue or be agressive. I simply believe native languages should be used, be it Russian, English, or German. I know old factions have that mixed language for westerners to understand, but imo they still suck

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 02:28:27 AM »
Well I agree with TomaSkTemplar , He has a good point that I hope everyone finally gets, to have English Voice overs on top of Toma's reasons is just undoing everything the Devs worked for in translating the speech.

~Darth Vader

Offline Polkovnik_Petr

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 06:41:18 AM »
Since hiring voice actors is out of the question and we want the devs to work on the mod, why don't we give the task to the community. I would be willing to make some voice recordings and while I am not a qualified expert, I say something is better than nothing.

If I find spare time, I would think it to be fun to try and make a couple of voice files. Who knows, maybe their mediocrity will not be much of a factor as long as I just simply understand where I'm being attacked. Plus I have a bit of a Slavic accent so I may legitimately look into this

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 07:16:24 AM »
You should ask the devs what sound files are needed so you can phrase them.

~Darth Vader

Offline Polkovnik_Petr

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
Indeed I may.