Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Combineing EF with other mods  (Read 4379 times)

Offline DoomGiver

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Combineing EF with other mods
« on: April 30, 2010, 03:34:41 AM »
Is it possible, and how would one go about doing it? I'm a compete noob to modding, with no idea what to do. Anything is helpful though ;)

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
Re: Combineing EF with other mods
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:16:45 AM »
Honestly I think COH might benefit from the different mods uniting. People might be more open to trying a mod they wouldn't otherwise try if it was bundled with a mod that they already play...

If you're asking how to actually run mods together at the same time then yeah, wow, not only do you not know how modding works but you don't even really understand how computer games work.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
I think that's a bit of an unfair cop. Many mods do work in conjunction with others but those are generally ones that just add in some units and aren't a total conversion etc. Mods with separate executables from the main game certainly don't work together of course.

I agree that it would be good if certain mods got together and combined their stuff but it would probably be too much effort to please a small number of people. For the record, I pretty much only came in here because of the horrifically disfigured title... the word is combining. That extra "e" makes it look so ugly.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
We neither give permission nor support for those trying to Modify our Modification, that is correct.

Also, If you do go ahead and try at your own risk to modify it for personal use in your own pc, keep it that way and do NOT make it available to the public as you have no permission to do so.

There is one mod that we have agreed to include their own version of the soviets.
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=233474
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline Rysq

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
We neither give permission nor support for those trying to Modify our Modification, that is correct.

Also, If you do go ahead and try at your own risk to modify it for personal use in your own pc, keep it that way and do NOT make it available to the public as you have no permission to do so.

There is one mod that we have agreed to include their own version of the soviets.
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=233474 [nofollow]

Lame, i installed Eastern front played it once... realized i hated the pop cap being imposed on me again.I used to play rc_realism mod (one feature being unlimited pop cap). And you wont allow others to even slightly mod Eastern front to enjoy it on thier terms ?
Lame..

Uninstalling eastern front, your over managing an otherwise brilliant project. I'll play it one day if someone is ever allowed to mod it a little.
Goodbye

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Obviously you didn't read Zerstorer's post.

This makes you a moron. :P

We neither give permission nor support for those trying to Modify  our Modification, that is correct.

You are allowed to modify it to your own liking, BUT NOT to publish.

You also, when you modify it, risk the chance of ruining the whole thing. So why risk it?

Maybe you should read what the mod's say before you start giving false accusations.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
^ What Cranialwizard said ^

You CAN modify the mod for personal use without our permission

You CANNOT publish your modification without our permission

These are perfectly reasonable rules.

However, we will not help you modify our content, you're on your own for that one.

Offline Rysq

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:36:17 PM »
Obviously you didn't read Zerstorer's post.

This makes you a moron. :P

You are allowed to modify it to your own liking, BUT NOT to publish.

You also, when you modify it, risk the chance of ruining the whole thing. So why risk it?

Maybe you should read what the mod's say before you start giving false accusations.
Cranialwizard
Spare me the petty mewlings child. Just because someone leaves feedback you dont like to hear dosent mean you would reply with insults. You wouldn't say it to my face, trust me.
Your reply reveals much of your maturaty rather than my own. One could draw a few more conclusions as to your own character.

Speaking of not reading posts, your missing my point.
Of course people could mod it on thier own. with or without your permission. You cant control that anyway.
Those that cannot mod this game, (its not as simple as editing a config file I assume) depend on others providing thier work to others via publishing it for download. But this you dont allow, so unless your users of the mod are modders of some talent themselves and have suffucent time to invest. Then This mod can only be enjoyed on the terms in which you have released it.

That being said, its a truely epic mod, and my hats off to those who put in all the effort to put EF together, but this strict limitation on not allowing others to publish some work, with the exception of that Normandy mod, then its kind of a shame for those like me.

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 06:05:26 PM »
In the simplest of terms...tough

You're complaining that we're not allowing everyone who can't be asked to put the same effort in to learn to mod/skin/model to to 'nick' ,what we had to work for 3 yrs to construct, then go around publishing saying 'look how good my mod is' and how much better I can make EF cause I know better blah blah blah.

If its something you did for your own personal taste, keeping it for yourself should make you more than happy.

If you're so adamant you can create a better mod and want to share your amazing mod making skills with the rest of the world, then build one from scratch, no one is stopping you.
But don't come crying that we're not allowing you to 'butcher our mod' and then present it as 'Little Johny's EF mod', credits or no credits.

What is lame, is that there are people out there who think its ok to say 'Now that you've done all the hard work and made all the content, I should be able to nick it all, put 3 lines and change a thing here and there,then present it as my improved version and great achievement'.

As a skinner, I've given shit loads to the community over the years for which I've spent a stupendous amount of time. So don't preach about 'sharing' etc. Modding Relic's factions is one thing. Modding someone else's mod is a whole different thing.

Just try asking Blitzkrieg Mod,N44, EIR, OMG if you could re-balance their mods a bit and publish them as your own version...see what they say...'NO' will be the...'polite term'
Because of EF's unique content some people seem to think that the rules somehow change....well, NO they don't.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:32:20 PM by Zerstörer »

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with the devs on this one.

Though in the past I can think of many great mods that became even better with modular add ons made by entirely seperate mod teams. Forgotten Hope for Battlefield 1942 for instance, had multiple variants that were very entertaining and boosted the popularity of the main mod. But if I recall all of them were made with the explicit consent of the original mod team.

The developers just want to make sure nothing like the scenario Zerstrorer described takes place.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
Cranialwizard
Spare me the petty mewlings child. Just because someone leaves feedback you dont like to hear dosent mean you would reply with insults. You wouldn't say it to my face, trust me.
Your reply reveals much of your maturaty rather than my own. One could draw a few more conclusions as to your own character.

Speaking of not reading posts, your missing my point.
Of course people could mod it on thier own. with or without your permission. You cant control that anyway.
Those that cannot mod this game, (its not as simple as editing a config file I assume) depend on others providing thier work to others via publishing it for download. But this you dont allow, so unless your users of the mod are modders of some talent themselves and have suffucent time to invest. Then This mod can only be enjoyed on the terms in which you have released it.

That being said, its a truely epic mod, and my hats off to those who put in all the effort to put EF together, but this strict limitation on not allowing others to publish some work, with the exception of that Normandy mod, then its kind of a shame for those like me.

I didn't say I didn't like the post, nor did I say that I did. I pointed out that you mis-took what the mods are saying and took it to your own accord that you couldn't mess around with the files.

Your 100% entitled to do so.

You are 0% entitled to publish it.
And that is that. Tough luck if you don't like it.

I am taking the mods side because they have done so much work to provide for us. For free.

And if you think you can do a better job, go ahead. Show the mods your changes and they may give you publishing rights.

Other than that, it's not right that you call the work of 3-4 years lame to their faces, and then uninstalling it.

Back to my original statement:
Maybe you should read what the mods say before you start giving false accusations.

I believe it is time that you had just taken the bench. You arguing with the mods and 95% of the community over not being able to publish an edit or two is a worthless arguement.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Rysq

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »
You guys are taking to much offence here.
Am I complaining ? Sure
Am I complaining about you ? No, nor do i in any post.
Am I complaining of EF itself ? No, as a matter of fact I compliment your masterpeice in my last post.

I merely try to better understand your position better in the absence of any comprimising attitude on your part. So allow me to share my thoughts, if they offend you, or piss you off, just dont reply and I too will disappear. But my opinion in the matter is not intended to offend, so dont take offence over the word "lame". Its just my opinion okay ? No harm in it.

You're complaining that we're not allowing everyone who can't be asked to put the same effort in to learn to mod/skin/model to to 'nick' ,what we had to work for 3 yrs to construct, then go around publishing saying 'look how good my mod is' and how much better I can make EF cause I know better blah blah blah.

You put it so plainly, but essentially yes. This is what I am complaining about.

If you're so adamant you can create a better mod and want to share your amazing mod making skills with the rest of the world, then build one from scratch, no one is stopping you.
But don't come crying that we're not allowing you to 'butcher our mod' and then present it as 'Little Johny's EF mod', credits or no credits.

Huh ? Litte off topic here man, I have not debated any of this
No, I wasnt adamant that I can create a better mod. Nor share my "amazing mod skills" as you put it. I am not a modder, nor do i claim to be one.
I depend on "Johnny's little EF mod" to make the experience of YOUR work enjoyable.
I'm not debating this, not sure why you mention it.

What is lame, is that there are people out there who think its ok to say 'Now that you've done all the hard work and made all the content, I should be able to nick it all, put 3 lines and change a thing here and there,then present it as my improved version and great achievement'.

I agree with that completly. And can understand your concerns here, but this is unavoidable. You concern yourself with matters that you cant likely change. This has less to do with what other publishers claims are likely to be and more to do with some faith that fans will know and give credit to where it is due, no matter what other small sub-mods make claims of. This wouldent even be a consideration to you at all if you had some faith in your fans and followers of your work giving you the credit you deserve.

As a skinner, I've given shit loads to the community over the years for which I've spent a stupendous amount of time. So don't preach about 'sharing' etc. Modding Relic's factions is one thing. Modding someone else's mod is a whole different thing.

Yea yea i get it already. Its your baby, your work, your time, you want to protect it..... Sound about right ?

Just try asking Blitzkrieg Mod,N44, EIR, OMG if you could re-balance their mods a bit and publish them as your own version...see what they say...'NO' will be the...'polite term'
Because of EF's unique content some people seem to think that the rules somehow change....well, NO they don't.

Why would I do that ? I'm not interested in their mods. I'm sure thier great and all, but not really interested.

Anyway. Thanks for the constructive portions of the discussion gents. I'm sure we have debated it to a conclusion.
Thanks Zerstörer for sharing your thoughts on the matter, appreciate the feedback. Have to sift through some strong thoughts here to find your stance on the matter ,but I think its clear, and more importantly, why you wish it that way.

Although I understand your concerns with not allowing others to publish sub-mods for EF. I hope one day you reconsider down the road sometime. I wish you luck and congratulate you (and the rest of your team) and all thier work and effort.
Cheers

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
I'm glad at least you understand why we don't allow this and will not do so in the future either.

Also consider the following as a final thought....

When making a decision to spend years on a modding project for public release, the aim is to produce OUR mod that people can play because of all its content. We want people to play OUR mod, our end result, not Steve's, Andy's or Joe's version of our mod.

As with any mod/game some will like it and some won't. Those who don't can either make one themselves or play other mods...whatever
We don't invest that amount of time and effort into something to have random individual/s do a couple of changes and then re-brand it as their own and then publish 100 different versions of our work.

Offline Rysq

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »
I hear ya Zerstörer. I cannot deny that you have every right to protect your work and allow yourself the credit you deserve for it.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »
This was a dumb topic...
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme