Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: EF Comic book by Wordsmith  (Read 14133 times)

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
EF Comic book by Wordsmith
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
Download and enjoy my first comic book :)

It took like 12 hours of playing and then 10 hours of taking 1200 screenshots, additional 15 hours in Photoshop and 8 hours in Comic life writing text and arranging pics. Result is attached in .zip file. Due to limit 10MB I had to put it in lower quality but still readable.

Higher quality can be downloaded here (12MB):
--> here.

Teaser pic (mix of 2 pages):

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:59:48 PM by wordsmith »

Offline Ltevanlee

• Strelky
  • 200 range bow monks ftw!
    • View Profile
Re: EF Comic book by Wordsmith
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »
awesome
"AT missile is OP, Infantry is fine"

Sincerely, Tank

CoH name: LTEVANLEE
Steam: ScarfaceOsamaBinPolPot
TWC: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=147065

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:23:22 AM »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »
second sniper's shot is just epic  ;)
Mate, you've talent

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
Heh thanx for support boys! It was fun to create but lot of work too, since I don't have much time I made it like always couple of hours evening for about 3 weeks. I had some more ideas but couldn't fit them, because I feel that it is long enough anyway. The hardest thing was to get proper screenshots :) mainly because when watching replay you can't go back in time so if I missed some good moment in replay I had to watch it all over again... I felt like movie director and paparazzi together, arranging scenes and waiting for the right moment lol
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:12:43 PM by wordsmith »

Offline WartyX

• Developer
  • Dave got trolled! Trololol!
    • View Profile
    • Eastern Front @ Twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
Excellent work, Wordsmith. Usually I have no interest in comics, but I was hooked right the way through this. I even laughed at some points ::) I look forward to your next instalment!

Offline Black Fox

• Ingenery
  • Quicktime Event! Push X to become one with Russia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:00:51 AM »
Looks like someone plays IL-2 Sturmovik. ^^
Excellent comic, I loved it.
If someone you know asks a rhetorical question be sure to give them a rhetorical answer.

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
  • "Vorwärts, Sturmsoldaten! Für Das Vaterland!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 03:10:32 AM »
Splendid! I can't wait for the next installment from Wordsmith's merry forge  ;D

Wunderwaffen Doctrine: What technology created for us, we drive it towards the enemy.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 04:23:08 AM »
Nice work.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:42:06 AM »
Fantastic. Will look even better with the Ostheer and remaining missing Soviet stuff in there ;)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 04:50:22 AM »
Fantastic. Will look even better with the Ostheer and remaining missing Soviet stuff in there ;)

Ouch!!! That's what i call a tease ;D.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Happycat

• Donor
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 07:41:01 AM »
very good, let's hope there's a new installment when the Ostheer is released  ;D

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »
Thank you boys for good reviews. I'm sure that there is lots to improve, mainly towards the end of the story - but I was eager to publish :D

Anyway I have some other ideas for the next episode, even some other conspiration theory to make story a little spicy. And I have tons of armor fights screenshots - it is possible that the story will take place little more on south, in Prokhorovka on 12th July 1943 ;)

I guess I will wait until Ostheer to make some new screens and then work on new episode lol.

Offline WartyX

• Developer
  • Dave got trolled! Trololol!
    • View Profile
    • Eastern Front @ Twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
Thinking about it, I wonder if we could lend you any extra German units... You know, just to add variety.

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »
Thinking about it, I wonder if we could lend you any extra German units... You know, just to add variety.

That would be great actually :) because it's hard to pick different characters, it would help if same model could just wear a slightly different texture f.e. some scarf or different jacket color (with dirt or blood f.e.), sleeves turned up etc... also head and face: different hair colors, or mustaches, glasses, scars.

One thing I missed making this comic was some better control of character's poses - I used Worldbuilder, separated the background and retouch slightly the model in Photoshop f.e. to display handshake, or hand holding a map. Not to mention that in Worldbuilder I was unable to put weapons in hand of characters, so I need to improvise with in-game pictures.

If it could be done like some template of several figures with different skins viewed from several angles and having also different poses. On blank background of course so I can mix it with in-game taken background. Actually background I was able to control quite good, there are dozens of nice scenes in CoH and EF maps I just added some propaganda posters to make it look like it's real war.

Btw I used mainly 4 maps: Vire River Valley, Villers Bocage, Angoville and Vienna but also some shots from other maps. I wanted to include also night scenes but figured that it would be even harder - almost no map has that option no to mention problems with figure models which I took from Worldbuilder - different light...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:02:00 PM by wordsmith »