Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: anti-Tank Flamethrower  (Read 8360 times)

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
Re: anti-Tank Flamethrower
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »
How big was the group though?

If you throw a roughly equal amount of anti infantry units on a manpower basis against rangers, they will likely own the rangers.

For instance, if the enemy sends 1200 manpower worth of rangers at you, send 1200 manpower worth of grenadiers at it. The Grens will probably win. If he upgrades to Thompsons, then add a few LMG42s.

The thing about COH is that you can typically check a specific type of unit with less units of a type that are specifically good against that type of unit. 260 manpower for a machinegun that can easily best 700 manpower worth of infantry, 310 manpower for an antitank gun that can take on 800 manpower worth of vehicles, so on and so on.

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »
Back on topic, Flamethrowers really aren't that OP if you give it Anti tank abilities(that should cost fuel mind you)given that the tank has a 25%? chance to explode when fired at. then you have the problems of any old Strelkry squad with LMG's coming at you tearing them up so I don't really think its that OP seeing many other factions have specialized troops.
Molly: " It's our rock garden"
Dwight: "What are you farming, Bullcrap?"

You Are a Rebel Spy and a traitor to the Empire!
~Darth Vader

Any typos found may be given to Seeme.

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
as I said before if you make a unit that can kill everything effectively people will spam it and the game will be ruined.

[insert signature here]

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 07:39:10 AM »
US can spam Rangers can't they ? They are good all around , they are relativly cheap, so tell me whats the difference?

~Darth Vader

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
they are expensive an don't usually come until late game. Besides the units I describe earlier can deal with them easy as long as you use good micro. Plus if you use your doctine abilities eg assault, forced retreat and the ones that improve your troops damage you'll be fine. Plus the axis have better infatry to deal with rangers like KCH with Vet upgrades and Fallschrimjager.

[insert signature here]

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »
they are expensive an don't usually come until late game. Besides the units I describe earlier can deal with them easy as long as you use good micro. Plus if you use your doctine abilities eg assault, forced retreat and the ones that improve your troops damage you'll be fine.
Theres the solution.

~Darth Vader

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 03:54:38 PM »
they are expensive an don't usually come until late game. Besides the units I describe earlier can deal with them easy as long as you use good micro. Plus if you use your doctine abilities eg assault, forced retreat and the ones that improve your troops damage you'll be fine. Plus the axis have better infatry to deal with rangers like KCH with Vet upgrades and Fallschrimjager.
Rangers arent good at anything but in any kind of battle (Sherman vs PzIV, supporting MGs and Rifles, blowing up bunkers) they will be usefull. If you have a gap in youre lines or need some extra damage to destroy a tank Rangers can quickly fire-up to give support.
Rangers alone will loose a battle vs MP44 PGs, Ostwinds, PE Pz IVs and veted pumas with basic micro.

On the other hand flamers are good at killing any kind of infantry in any part of a game. Even early game flamers can hide in a blob (or near a single unit) of rifleman/volks and burn anything in any cover.
Late game infantry with flamethrowers wouldnt even need a bloob to do that. They would be better than US Rifles with all upgrades (BARs, nades, stickies - 380MP 125Fuel - and supply depot upgrade - lower upkeep - probably too).

Offline HolyHappiness

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »
I voted for other, you'll always have those pointing out the balance issues, so to appease them too, here's this. I posted it numerous times but haven't heard much of a response. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abwehrflammenwerfer_42
It's a german flame booby trap. Could compliment mines and be effective against both infantry and armor.
"Left 20, up 40, one round HE.....HANG IT!....FIRE!"

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 09:45:21 PM »
I mentioned it one of my concepts too no one seemed to like or dislike it .

~Darth Vader

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 10:51:10 PM »
I voted for other, you'll always have those pointing out the balance issues, so to appease them too, here's this. I posted it numerous times but haven't heard much of a response. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abwehrflammenwerfer_42
It's a german flame booby trap. Could compliment mines and be effective against both infantry and armor.
PE Shimmwagen with Scorched Earth doctrine can place flame mines. Nasty traps. Much more dangerous than booby traps and you can place 3 of them (only 15 ammo each) instead of 1 G43 upgrade.

Anyway, normal mines are "effective against both infantry and armor". Flame traps should work only on infantry.

Offline vietlord

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
what about a flame-effect bottle efficient 10% vs inf and 90% vs armor ?
pleeeease criticize or comment my ostheer try
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=3265.0

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »
That's a good idea Vietlord, add the bottle effect to a troop limit and there.
something like 70% Vehicle 30% infantry (9:1 is a little harsh)With a FL of 2.
Could we get a devs opinion on this please?

~Darth Vader

Offline Newbie.

• Commissar
  • A single Tiger was worth ten Sherman. I'm the 11th
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 12:38:49 AM »
As i got told to 'None of above, specify in post'

Have a Incedinary Anti-Tank Mine. It'd be only set off when the weight of a Tret. Tank or up goes on it, making it a teller mine that affects for 10-13 second's after set off. High cost thou, like 40 MUNI per mine?