Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: ostheer medium tanks  (Read 80829 times)

Offline Venoxxis

• Commissar
  • Keep cool.
    • View Profile
Re: ostheer medium tanks
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 11:22:01 AM »
Your right Werwolf ;)

Versedhorison your also absolutly right about the great usage of the Panzer III. Maybe i should quote the Panzer III of my concept which got all variation included:

- Panzer III (i wont name any "Ausführungen" because the orignial game also didnt do that)

The cheap Panzer III rolls out of the Hall of GermanSteel
   with the universal 50mm short barrelled canon. But to give   
   this tank its multi-tasking ability you can upgrade it with
   several things:

-> the universal "Seitenschürzen" upgrade
   -> the upgrade to a short barred 75mm canon,
       which shoots HE shells!
       This upgrade is fine for a tank based gamer,
       coming out of the Panzer Warfare Kommando and gets
       killed by enemy infantry.

-> the upgrade to a longbarreled 50mm canon, which
        shoots AP shells!
        this upgrade is perfect for a infantry based gamer,
        coming out of the Infantry support Kommando, which
        needs anti-tank support now.

-> if selected the right doctrine, also a flamethrower upgrade is possible [size=9]![/size]

My opinion about the Stug III is also similar - without any usefull idea we dont need it in the ostheer because its just another Stug.

-V-

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
I like those Ideas giving it upgrades should give it some use in the later game stages when light armour generally disappears.

[insert signature here]

Offline My Name Is Ante

• Guard
  • Please, my name is Ante not Dante
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
IMO, for Panzer or Panther to be available in Ostheer is not avoidable as they are the regular tank for the German in World War 2...
However, we always have ways to add them in unique way, for example through doctrine...
Remove them completely may make Ostheer look like not a force of German...
Just my opinion though...
I am sorry for my bad

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
  • "Vorwärts, Sturmsoldaten! Für Das Vaterland!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
And although they did put a 75mm gun on the panzer III it was the short barrelled one to provide infantry support. In the end we will probably either see the panzer IV, or panthers or some slew of tank destroyers to deal with late game armour.
Actually, the "Stummel" short-barrelled 75mm was also designed to fire HEAT rounds when needed. Relic neutered it for the sake of "balance", thus confining it only to the inf-support role. *sigh*.  :(

Wunderwaffen Doctrine: What technology created for us, we drive it towards the enemy.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
Also I am somewhat keen on seeing the stug III in the ostheer it would hardly look any different from the Stug IV so there wouldn't be much variation there.
There can be a global gun upgrade. Short barreled stugIII sounds better than PzIIIN - a c,opy of PE PzIV.
This gun upgrade could unlock a Tier with JagdpanzerIV(or Nashorn) and buildable Tiger I.
With the panzer III I can see put in the ostheer in three ways.
*an early tank to deal with armoured cars, stuarts and soviet light tanks. In this form it would have its 50mm cannon.
*giving it the short barrelled 75mm cannon to be pretty much just like the PE panzer IV.
*have the panzer III as a flamethrower tank.
Ostheer should have PzIIIL.
Its a version with the best AT cannon that PzIII ever had.
A doctrinal flamethrower tank call-in or upgrade (100ammo) would be great too.

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »
+1

I'd go for the Flammpanzer-III upgrade ;D

Wunderwaffen Doctrine: What technology created for us, we drive it towards the enemy.

Offline TheReaper

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
Also I am somewhat keen on seeing the stug III in the ostheer it would hardly look any different from the Stug IV so there wouldn't be much variation there.
There can be a global gun upgrade. Short barreled stugIII sounds better than PzIIIN - a c,opy of PE PzIV.
This gun upgrade could unlock a Tier with JagdpanzerIV(or Nashorn) and buildable Tiger I.
With the panzer III I can see put in the ostheer in three ways.
*an early tank to deal with armoured cars, stuarts and soviet light tanks. In this form it would have its 50mm cannon.
*giving it the short barrelled 75mm cannon to be pretty much just like the PE panzer IV.
*have the panzer III as a flamethrower tank.
Ostheer should have PzIIIL.
Its a version with the best AT cannon that PzIII ever had.

+1

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
And although they did put a 75mm gun on the panzer III it was the short barrelled one to provide infantry support. In the end we will probably either see the panzer IV, or panthers or some slew of tank destroyers to deal with late game armour.
Actually, the "Stummel" short-barrelled 75mm was also designed to fire HEAT rounds when needed. Relic neutered it for the sake of "balance", thus confining it only to the inf-support role. *sigh*.  :(

Although they did shoot HEAT rounds they still weren't that effective and weren't why the germans stopped building panzer III's in 1943 and stopped building tanks with short barreled guns.

[insert signature here]

Offline Aouch

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
I want PzPpfW. III!  ;D

@ the discussion about Ostheer or Foreign Army:

After thinking about it, I think it could really work to build a faction based nearly exclusively on non-German Axis states.

However, then the "Ostheer" should be implemented in the original Wehrmacht faction. This may sound like a violation of the Eastern Front's main goal, not changing the original gameplay or factions, BUT, it can be done via the reward-unit-system.
I've heard something about plans to add a sherman-jumbo and another unit as new rewards to the US-faction, so it should be possible with the Wehrmacht, too.

Reward Units should be:
  • Ost-Grenadiers (replaces Grenadiers) - 5 soldiers with 4x Kar98k and 1x MP40 for the squadleader.
    Abilities: "Throw grenade",
    Upgrades: "MG34" (max 2) or "Gewehrgranate"
(max 2)
  • PzKpfW III Ausf. L (replaces Pz IV) - Medium tank, cheaper than Pz IV.
    Vet-upgrades: "Turret-MG-gunner", "side-skirts"
  • leIG 18 (replaces Nebelwerfer) - 7.5cm gun to support infantry.
  • PzJ Elefant (replaces Königstiger) - Heavy tankdestroyer with outstanding long-range-attack-capability.
In memoriam MrScruff
The Wehrmacht in the East

Obstheer FTW!

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:20 AM »
Main reason for the ostheer is for added gameplay from another faction and a chance to get other stuff into the game eg. elefant, panzer III. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see old stuff like Sd kfz 251 half track or the medium tanks in the whermacht and panzer elite.

[insert signature here]

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 05:13:16 AM »
Although I wouldn't be surprised to see old stuff like Sd kfz 251 half track or the medium tanks in the whermacht and panzer elite.
the SdKfz. 251 should be a mainstay, IMO. Panthers and Bergepanthers (late- variant with dual MG42 instead of 20mm) wouldn't hurt either...

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 03:17:19 PM »
Main reason for the ostheer is for added gameplay from another faction and a chance to get other stuff into the game eg. elefant, panzer III. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see old stuff like Sd kfz 251 half track or the medium tanks in the whermacht and panzer elite.

You could do that with reward units, replacing the Puma with Panzer IIIs, the Panthers/Tigers/King Tigers with Elefants, etc...

Offline Shadowmetroid

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 04:23:41 PM »

You could do that with reward units, replacing the Puma with Panzer IIIs, the Panthers/Tigers/King Tigers with Elefants, etc...

But do we WANT to?  I am sure that most of us would like to see the Ostheer as a completely different faction than the Wehrmact.

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 05:21:08 PM »

>Main reason for the ostheer is for added gameplay from another faction

[insert signature here]

Offline IntoTheMotherland

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
So,i think the Panzer III needs some recognition.I mean come on.It's a strong tank.Us guys use Panzer IV Infantry Support Tank(which is a lot weaker) ;)