Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Best Bolt Action Rifle of WW2  (Read 32727 times)

Offline EasyWay91

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Best Bolt Action Rifle of WW2
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:50:23 AM »
Hey guys, I'm back with another poll! This time with Bolt-Action Rifles. I would like to give credit to HyperSniper999, he's the one who came up with the poll "Best Rifle of World War 2?" I have voted in his poll, and was kind of disappointed in how he mixed Semi-Automatic and Bolt-Actions together. Mostly everybody voted for the M1 Garand as it was Semi-Automatic, mass-produced, and the first of its kind to be standard issue for an entire nation's infantry. The Second World War was practically mostly fought with Bolt-Actions. It wouldn't make sense
comparing these two types. It's like comparing a Smooth bore Musket with an Rifled Musket. Below I am going to list some history and stats on the weapons, because I've actually fired some of them(they're surprisingly not that expensive). Have fun, and remember I am giving the credit of the first rifle poll to HyperSniper999, I am creating this poll for the sole purpose of comparing my favorite type of firearms! If you have any problems, please notify me below.

Post Merge: July 13, 2010, 07:27:23 AM
OK, here we go...

Kar98k: A shortened version of the Gewehr 98, which was used by the forces of Germany in the First World War. It was the icon of the new series of Bolt-Actions, using smokeless powder,the Mauser System, and stripper clips. Very well balanced rifle, with good power, range, and handling. Uses a 5 round internal magazine. Fires the 7.92x57mm Mauser.

Lee-Enfield: Adopted by the British in the late 19th century, famous for its use in the Boer War. Almost replaced by Mausers, but the British ran out of time as WW1 began. Famous for the "Mad Minute", in which a well-trained British soldier cut put out minimum about 30 well-aimed shots at an 18-inch target 300 yards away in under a minute. In WW1 a German advance was stopped by a few British Riflemen, who used the Mad Minute, the Germans claimed they encountered Mgs. Uses a detachable 10-round magazine, and fires the .303 Enfield. A variety of different versions exist, but they are relatively the same, using the same system. Very smooth bolt action which gave it a very high rate of fire for a bolt action rifle.

Mosin-Nagant:Not a Communist weapon actually. Was adopted in the late 1800's by the Russian empire. Was used as a weapon of the Pre-Revolution Tsarist Russian Army. Many versions exist, from carbines to specialty sniper variants. Easy to zero(adjust scope to distance from target), which gave Soviet snipers an advantage. Very reliable, but very low rate of fire compared to the others. The bolt was more reliable, but was tougher to cycle. Fires 7.62x54mmR from a 5 round internal magazine.

Springfield 1903: Used by the US forces in both WW1 and WW2. Known for phenomenal accuracy, just as accurate, if not more accurate than the Mauser. Replaced the Krag-Jorgenson, which could not use stripper clips. US Marines claim they received the nickname "Devil Dogs" from the Germans in WW1, for their excellent marksmanship. Fires 30-06 Springfield from a internal 5 round mag.

MAS-36: Don't know much about this one, never fired one before. If you know about this weapon, then please inform us below. Thanks.

Carcano Series: I don't much about these either, other than one of them being used to kill JFK. I f you have any information on this fantastic weapon, please inform us below, thank you very much.

Arisaka Type 38: A fantastic weapon, used by the Imperial Army of Japan. In the beginning of the war, were very well made, but as the war continued, the production quality went down, such as using wooden butt plates, and misaligned sights. Each and every Arisaka rifle always had the imperial seal, which gave Japanese soldiers a little more confidence in their weapons.

Hanyang 88: Along with the Chiang Kai-Chek Main Battle Rifles were the primary weapon of the Chinese. Esssentially lower quality copies of German Mausers. Nothing special.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:27:23 AM by EasyWay91 »
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?
-Joseph Stalin

Offline Griptonix

• Guard
  • Vorwarts nach Osten!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Bolt Action Rifle of WW2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
This is hands down the K98. I own a Mosin Nagant, K98, and a Lee Enfield. The Nagant has a great bark to it as well as a great punch but it doesn't impress me. The Lee Enfield can shoot all day because of its 10 round magazine, a bit heavy though. The K98 is just a pure delight. The rounded bolt handle just feels so natural when cycling in a new round. With the K98, I wonder how the Germans lost the Second World War.
"This Goddam forum smells like Volksgrenadiers!"
1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS A. H.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
This is hands down the K98. I own a Mosin Nagant, K98, and a Lee Enfield. The Nagant has a great bark to it as well as a great punch but it doesn't impress me. The Lee Enfield can shoot all day because of its 10 round magazine, a bit heavy though. The K98 is just a pure delight. The rounded bolt handle just feels so natural when cycling in a new round. With the K98, I wonder how the Germans lost the Second World War.
Theyve got blown up by artillery and ariforce. :D

Offline EasyWay91

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »
For me its the Lee-Enfield. Its very hard to miss with it, and if you do do you've got 9 more rounds! The bolt was also smooth like velvet.The Kar98k was also great though. I don't really like the Mosin-Nagant though, the bolt was mot very enjoyable to work with.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?
-Joseph Stalin

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:18 AM »
First of all, I want to thank you for posting information about the rifles, and thank you for your effort.

But like everyone eles, I have to get with the K98
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:55:29 AM »
I just took the mas-36 from CoD2: Big Red One. The French Legion Enstrangers (Foreign Legion) used it, atleast in the game.
And the carcano had a 6-round clip instead of the standard 5. Otgerwise, I think it was a pretty regular gun aside from the fact it was a little crappy due the Italians' poor War Industry.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:01:28 AM by HyperSniper999 »
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline EasyWay91

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 07:15:05 AM »
I know most people are choosing the Kar98k. Can someone tell me why? Any actual reasons aside from just personal preference? Thanks
-Joseph Stalin

Offline maxi1991

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
I know most people are choosing the Kar98k. Can someone tell me why? Any actual reasons aside from just personal preference? Thanks

Great accuracy, good rate of fire(for a bolt action), 7.92x57mm Mauser and it's the highest quality rifle of ww2

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »
And it looks nice ;D

Offline EasyWay91

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:47 AM »
Lee-Enfield is faster, has more rounds, and I love how the barrel is covered by wood. Not to mention the British spanned the globe with it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i_9rY4P5zEk/SwPOCvQoOTI/AAAAAAAACOg/5Sn1C3wOAEk/s1600/lee-enfield_000.jpg

TOP 10:Combat Rifles - Lee Enfield No4(No.3)

But I do have to admit, I prefer the Kar98k for hunting. The Lee-Enfield wasn't made for precision but for volume of fire.
Overall Bolt-Actions are still great, kids nowadays are too enthusiastic over assault rifles.
-Joseph Stalin

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 02:40:33 AM »
There are no such thing about a blot action rifle these days...

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 04:24:36 AM »
There are no such thing about a blot action rifle these days...
I'm sure many US snipers would disagree. They still use bolt actions.
But if I were to have a gun, I'd want to it be a bolt action.
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline SK8ERatWAR

• Guard
  • two million soldiers can't be wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »
My vote goes for the lee enfield, because of it's 10 round mag.

but yeah, if i had 2 options, an AR or a bolt-action, i would also definitely choose for a bolt-action.
But yeah therefore i have to live in the US to get one legally..
and that's not the case..  :(

Offline Newbie.

• Commissar
  • A single Tiger was worth ten Sherman. I'm the 11th
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
Mosin-Nagant due to mass-production... And i'd say, it has a kick...

But when it comes to rifles, i'd perferbly choose...

1: Lever-Action [I've fired a  Winchester Model 1873]
2: Bolt-Action
3: Pump-Action
4: Automatic Rifle [Assault]
5: Semi-Automatic/Carbine [I hae these things..]

Offline EasyWay91

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 03:43:15 AM »
I wouldn't say that a lever action is better than a bolt-action. There's a reason why lever-actions weren't used in any major war, and that was because it was very hard to fire it prone. The tubular magazines also couldn't accept stripper clips, but I would still take one over an AR.

P.S. How could you not like Semi-auto carbines like the M1 or the SKS?
-Joseph Stalin