Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Ostheer uniform poll (to aid skinners and modelers).  (Read 31611 times)

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
  • "Vorwärts, Sturmsoldaten! Für Das Vaterland!"
    • View Profile
Ostheer uniform poll (to aid skinners and modelers).
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »
The poll says it all.  :) Of course, we want the Ostheer to be unique and distinctive in relation to the other factions, so...how should they look like? It'd be very helpful if you guys could provide some pics or perhaps even some historical basis regarding your choices... Thanks! Hope this could help. 

Here's my personal choice:

"Siege of Stalingrad"/Waffen-Grenadier scheme

A) M42 Stahlhelm
B) Toque
c) M36 greatcoat
D) M40 tunic (Feldgrau or Steingrau)
E) M36 trousers (Steingrau)
F) Jackboots (Knobelbecher Marschstiefel "marching boots")

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:00:41 PM by Werwolf »

Wunderwaffen Doctrine: What technology created for us, we drive it towards the enemy.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
Re: Ostheer uniform poll (to aid skinners and modelers).
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
Dont you think that this poll is, well, a bit to much? I know you know your stuff but I don't even know what these stuff is. I mean, wow.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:38:27 PM »
Dont you think that this poll is, well, a bit to much? I know you know your stuff but I don't even know what these stuff is. I mean, wow.
Google should help... :)

I've already taken the liberty of translating most of them to English in order to make them easier to read  ;D

For example: An "M42 steel helmet" is, of course, a commonly-issued variant of the iconic German helmet. Soldiers often customized them by repainting them in camo patterns, or by using camo cloth covers. Alternatively, some also opted for sticking foliage (assorted leaves, branches, etc) onto their helmets with the help of chicken-wire mesh netting so that they could blend in among the shrubbery. The USMC, Navy SEALS, and Delta Force adopted this practice, which is still used even today.  ;)

The Toque, or balaclava, is a type of cotton/wool ski mask used in extreme climates to protect the neck and some parts of the face from the elements. (it's quite similar to terrorist/bank robber-type ski masks...like putting a huge sock over your head)

The ski cap is a kind of visored cap worn by military personnel, similar to a baseball cap. It was popularized by the German and Finnish armed forces, esp. their ski troopers and mountain troops (Gebirgsjägers). It's quite common to see these caps worn by German soldiers in many films. And of course, the US Military and the Bundeswehr still use them.  ;)

The side cap is another common (visor-less) military cap. US sailors/Marines and US Army enlisted personnel often wore this type of headgear. On the other side of the fence, side caps were also worn by Waffen-SS infantry and  Panzer/SP gun crews. Soviet conscripts can also be seen sporting them in-game.

Feldgrau = Field Grey coloring. Used by the Reichswehr, SD and early Wehrmacht. Allgemeine-SS used brown uniforms at first (like the SA), and then black ones.

Steingrau = Stone Grey coloring. Replaced Feldgrau (in many cases) as the standard Wehrmacht uniform color. Also used Extensively by the SD and Waffen-SS.

Reed Green/Bottle Green = Used by mid-to late-war Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS. The Reichsforstdienst (National Forestry Service) used it as well.

Tunic = The upper part of the military uniform.

Greatcoat = A very long military coat. The Soviet Guard regiments also wore these.

Parka = A heavy jacket, usually weather-resistant (like an anorak) and fur-lined. Commonly used during winter.

Smock = A pullover jacket (usually in camo and with a hood), worn on top of the regulation uniform. Used by regular troops, gun crews, commandos, and snipers. 

Trousers = The lower part of the uniform, of course.  :P Pants and such.

Jackboots/marching boots = Tall, knee-length or mid-calf boots. Popular among both officers and enlisted men in the Axis and Soviet armies. Officer's boots, of course, were usually custom-made and were of superior quality.

Ankle boots/utility boots = The name says it all: boots that only reach up to the ankles. When the Reich was running short of leather (mid- to late-war), "jackboot" production was discontinued and the stocks were replaced with ankle boots. Before their widespread use, ankle boots were more common with workers and rear-guard units. However, jackboots were still made available to officers and some "élite" formations (such as Panzer Lehr, GD, LSSAH, Das Reich, etc).

Cuff titles = Elite units, especially the Waffen-SS, usually wore a cuff title sewn on their left sleeves. This was often a black or silver (depending on the rank) band, similar to a ribbon, with their regimental or divisional designation (or commemorative battlefield honors) embroidered on it. The names were usually based on famous figures/icons (e.g. Hermann von Salza, Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler, Gotz von Berlichingen, Charlemagne), regions/places of origin (e.g. Nordland, Das Reich, Langemarck, Wallonien), Norse mythology/historical symbols (e.g. Nibelungen, Totenkopf), volunteer designations (e.g. Lettische Nr. 1, Italien Nr. 1), media outfits (e.g. Standarte Kurt Eggers), police units (e.g. SS-Polizei Division), political organizations (e.g. RONA, Britischer Freikorps) and events of significance (e.g. 30. Januar). Non-Waffen-SS élite units like the GD and Afrika Korps wore their cuff titles on the right sleeve.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:00:50 PM by Werwolf »

Wunderwaffen Doctrine: What technology created for us, we drive it towards the enemy.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
Stahlhelm + Feldgrau coat like in the example you provide is what I see the main Ostheer infantry wearing. Basic infantry might just have a ski cap instead of the Stahlhelm.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:06:50 AM »
Stahlhelm + Feldgrau coat like in the example you provide is what I see the main Ostheer infantry wearing. Basic infantry might just have a ski cap instead of the Stahlhelm.
I agree. It would be great if they looked kind of battle-worn as well, with spare magazine pouches and Steilhandgranate tucked into their belts...  ;D

Offline PanzerWilly

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Fresh meat into the Fray!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:30:55 AM »
I don't really think there is a point of infantry with multiple type of clothing. It will look strange, you should include infantry uniform set not individual clothing. Its confusing and not a lot of us are expert in what they are wearing. I agree with the black uniform of the german use in Stalingard, It look badass and very distictive.

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:55:21 AM »
I don't really think there is a point of infantry with multiple type of clothing. It will look strange, you should include infantry uniform set not individual clothing. Its confusing and not a lot of us are expert in what they are wearing. I agree with the black uniform of the german use in Stalingard, It look badass and very distictive.
Hehe, it's not about multiple clothing per se, but yeah it can be a bit confusing and overwhelming sometimes. There were many combinations and variations of Ostheer infantry uniforms after all... for example, greatcoats or winter parkas were common on the Russian front, while M40/M44 tunics worn with any type of camo trousers were seen on many of those who were fighting in the defense of Berlin.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:33 AM »
 Reminds me of a video I just saw about German Uniform versus soviets in Stalingrad. Poor Germans, most of them were still in there summer uniform :-\.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:05:28 AM »
Reminds me of a video I just saw about German Uniform versus soviets in Stalingrad. Poor Germans, most of them were still in there summer uniform :-\.
Yes, especially during the early stages of Barbarossa. Some were also in their Drillich (drill/camp) uniforms, and many of the officers were wearing either Waffenrocke (dresswear) or private-purchase clothes. Many also wore civilian coats, including furs. It took a while for the Wehrmacht to get proper winter clothing like parkas, gloves, toques and greatcoats for everyone...in the meantime, many froze to death during the first weeks of winter.  :(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:09:14 AM by Werwolf »

Offline Griptonix

• Guard
  • Vorwarts nach Osten!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
This is great. I would love to see some diversity in the uniforms worn by the Germans. There was so much diversity that many units and people really stick out in pictures and newsreels. I prefer to see some assault gunners and anti-tank crews with the assault gunners black coats. Allgemeine SS units would be cool also with an ability to spot invisible units like snipers and partisans (SS Div. Polizei or something)
"This Goddam forum smells like Volksgrenadiers!"
1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS A. H.

Offline Pollarisz

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:26:22 PM »
your "personal choice " will be the best :D

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »
Every unit must be distinguishable from normal gaming distance.

There will be many different units so expect many different uniforms  ;)
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline TheReaper

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »
I don't want nazi uniforms in the game. Don't paint the ss mark on the uniforms. NKVD is just fine, I like it.

Offline Newbie.

• Commissar
  • A single Tiger was worth ten Sherman. I'm the 11th
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »
I'd have to go with Non-winter clothing for early units, full Winter for after, maybe have a affect so that early units loose 5HP a Minute until theyget a winter Uniform Upgrad.e

Offline PanzerWilly

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Fresh meat into the Fray!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
Haha, I remember it, its a documentary of Battle of Stalingard in National Geographic Channel, the man wearing both uniform is kept in a cold truck and then is tested for the wearer's reaction time and morale. German soldiers not only lack winter clothing, poor logisitcal support also undemine the supply food, and replacement units. Most the germans in Stalingards fought throughout the russian front. They are weary and the winter drop thier morale to its lowest point. While the russian in their winter set was able to pull their trigger very well.

I however felt that the uniform the german during the battle of Stalingard will be reserved as the battle harderen more expereince unit of ostheer.

And yes I agree, please, no SS marking, I don't really like to play as the bad memory of the ruthless SS Soldiers. I want to play the ostheer as professinal army, not crazy bloodlust killers. Its a game, but please considered this. Have other marking, even a fictional one, SS and Hilter Jugend is just too disturbing for some, like me  :-\
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:38:30 PM by PanzerWilly »