Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Best Bomber Aircraft of WW2:  (Read 8921 times)

Offline Newbie.

• Commissar
  • A single Tiger was worth ten Sherman. I'm the 11th
    • View Profile
Best Bomber Aircraft of WW2:
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:36:42 AM »
Only 20 votes on this poll!

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
Re: Best Bomber Aircraft of WW2:
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
Voted lancaster, was much better than the B-17. Germany/Japan didn't really have good heavy bombers.

The superfortress was excellent though, and was a close 2nd.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Newbie.

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
I person. think the Lanch. is a close second, with the Heinkal-111 at third.

Offline maxi1991

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I think the JU-88.

Offline SublimeSnugz

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • Zeh fucking truck won't lock down! Its OVAH! . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:45:09 PM »
fineally a "best of" with less choices <3

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »
I guess I need to do some research ;)
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
  • "Vorwärts, Sturmsoldaten! Für Das Vaterland!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:40 AM »
And the award goes to...the British Lancaster (1st) and the American Superfortress (2nd), for helping the Allies bomb the hell out of Central Europe.  ::) 3rd place goes to the StuKa for being the most fearsome dive-bomber in WW2.

Wunderwaffen Doctrine: What technology created for us, we drive it towards the enemy.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »
Theres no De Haviland Mosquito?
Add, please add. It was made out of cheap wood but still when it apeared it needed no defensive armament becouse it was faster than any fighter at that time.
Than it was used as a naval bomber using rockets and a 57mm gun.
It could outmaneuver every german night fighter.
It was used to bomb Berlin for the first time in the 10th aniversary of Hitler getting to power.
It flown to mark the targets for the Lancaster night bombings and becouse it flown low and was made of wood is was stealthy.
It was great at low level precise strickes.
Being cheaper, faster and unarmed it could deliver the same amount of bombs to Berlin as the B-17, taking only half the casualties.
Even JU-88 cant beat that.

P.S. change the Polish aircraft to PZL.23 - the most common bomber, or PZL.37 - one of the best bombers at that time, as good as the He-111.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:43:51 AM by Paciat »

Offline Griptonix

• Guard
  • Vorwarts nach Osten!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
I don't know if these could be compared that well. The Germans didn't have a 4 engined heavy bomber. The Germans produced bombers that were fitting for the blitzkrieg doctrine. The close support dive bombers like the Stukas, do-17, ju-88 and so on and medium bombers like the heinkel he111. We are comparing apples to oranges here.
"This Goddam forum smells like Volksgrenadiers!"
1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS A. H.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
I don't know if these could be compared that well. The Germans didn't have a 4 engined heavy bomber. The Germans produced bombers that were fitting for the blitzkrieg doctrine. The close support dive bombers like the Stukas, do-17, ju-88 and so on and medium bombers like the heinkel he111. We are comparing apples to oranges here.
If you like 4 engine bombers than just say "B-29 was the best WWII bomber". Noone will kill you for not choosing a German plane. There were many light or medium allied planes like smaller machines more, both axis allies had plenty of them.

If you really, really, really need a German 4 engine bomber how about a FW-200? In its role of a naval bomber it could be compared to a B-24 Liberator.
Hitler had a FW-200 converted to a transport plane. It was his "Air force 1" or "Luftwaffe 1".  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:42:50 PM by Paciat »

Offline Griptonix

• Guard
  • Vorwarts nach Osten!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
If you like 4 engine bombers than just say "B-29 was the best WWII bomber". Noone will kill you for not choosing a German plane. There were many light or medium allied planes like smaller machines more, both axis allies had plenty of them.

If you really, really, really need a German 4 engine bomber how about a FW-200? In its role of a naval bomber it could be compared to a B-24 Liberator.
Hitler had a FW-200 converted to a transport plane. It was his "Air force 1" or "Luftwaffe 1".  ;D
Still isn't the same. maybe other people feel the same way or maybe its just me. Americans and British invested in large 4 engine bombers for carpet bombing of Europe. Germany used mainly for blitzkrieg support. IN Battle of Britain, Germany was overestimating the effectiveness of their medium bombers and their capabilities.
"This Goddam forum smells like Volksgrenadiers!"
1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS A. H.

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »

There is no Arado 234 Blitzbomber, too ;)
Out of my view an important bomber!
Jet engines, pressurised cabin, ejection seat,
auto pilot, 1,5t bombing load and top speed of
780km/h!!

Top data for the first jet engine bomber.
May the force be with you.

Offline HyperSniper999

• Major
  • Wehrmacht and Afrika Korps power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 06:11:24 AM »
Whatever bomber that appeared very late in the war and dropped the atom bombs on Japan.
My second choice would be the Landcaster.
"You can close your eyes and plug your ears and be afraid and ignorant of the darker parts of history, but always know that you're the one responsible for allowing those events to happen again and with even greater consequences and not know how to end the nightmare you did upon yourself."

Offline Newbie.

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »
Whatever bomber that appeared very late in the war and dropped the atom bombs on Japan.
My second choice would be the Landcaster.

B'29?

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
Still isn't the same. maybe other people feel the same way or maybe its just me. Americans and British invested in large 4 engine bombers for carpet bombing of Europe. Germany used mainly for blitzkrieg support. IN Battle of Britain, Germany was overestimating the effectiveness of their medium bombers and their capabilities.
I feel the same. Becouse multirole fighters were good at Close Air Support and needed little air cover, planes like Typhoons win over Stukas. Ju-88 wasnt as good as the de Haviland Mosquito and HE-177 was unrealiable.
The conclusion is German bombers suck becouse they were underpowered, undergunned or badly designed.

So what Allied bomber did you pick?

Post Merge: August 26, 2010, 01:55:51 PM

There is no Arado 234 Blitzbomber, too ;)
Out of my view an important bomber!
What important things did it do?
It was only important after WWII when the allies got their hands on it, while the topic is "Best Bomber Aircraft of WW2".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:55:51 PM by Paciat »