Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Worst-Of WW2 Weapons:Common Bolt-Action Rifles.  (Read 12768 times)

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst-Of WW2 Weapons:Common Bolt-Action Rifles.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 09:31:06 PM »
I don't know the French MAS-36, but I'm sure that our Carcano '91 was one of the worst. Unreliable and often it gets stuck  :(
I'm sure Lee Harvey Oswald would disagree, thats the rifle that killed Kennedy!
Just mortally injured. ::) ;D :P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:58:02 PM by Paciat »

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
He could have a 1812 Musket, I mean seriously, what dose that prove?
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Griptonix

• Guard
  • Vorwarts nach Osten!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
Can't you read? someone was crapping all over the Carcano and I pointed out it was used expertly by a former Marine to kill a president. do you follow?
"This Goddam forum smells like Volksgrenadiers!"
1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS A. H.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
The Difference:

-He had lots of time to aim and Kenny wasn't moving that much

-It wasn't life threatening if it Jam

-He wasn't under heavy fire and no one was shooting back at him

I mean Seriously, lets go back to WW2.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
The Difference:

-He had lots of time to aim and Kenny wasn't moving that much

-It wasn't life threatening if it Jam

-He wasn't under heavy fire and no one was shooting back at him

I mean Seriously, lets go back to WW2.
You got two points Seeme, remeber to redeem them before the last day of the month ;)... let's go back to Bolt-Action rifles from WW2 discussion.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Tampio

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »
I have to put it as the Arisaka.

The rifle might have been outdated but it still worked, but... the Japanese had a major problem with their Logistics, as many of their weapons used different kind of ammunition.
Though the rifle was cheap and by that vurnerable to all kinds of problems.

Chancellor

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
I also voted for the Arisaka.  The thing was also too long, which made it hard to handle / carry, especially when the average height of Japanese soldiers back then was only around 5'3.

There's a documentary on Japanese weapons of WW2 on youtube.  I do believe that man for man, the individual Japanese soldier had far superior fighting spirit and will, but was sorely under-equipped and their officers used outdated tactics.  They didn't even have a reliable AT weapon during the whole war.  They would have to resort to suicide soldiers holding dynamite to try to blow the Shermans up.  Their tanks were also a joke; kinda like pitting a Hummer against a Honda lol

Fighting to the very last man honestly takes balls of steel.  Everyone talks about the bonzai charges behind their armchairs nowadays, but most people would piss in their pants if ordered to make a charge like that.  Its just too bad these guys committed a lot of war crimes and therefore fought for an unjust cause.

Offline Ettore Muti

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
Shit,our Carcano was wonderful,have you ever tried it?

Offline irik

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »
I think the Arisaka and the Carcano is bad.
Also, only a retard would say the Karabiner 98k and the Mosin Nagant are bad.
Guards of the Red Army. Today, the German Reich is done away with!

Offline Red_Stinger

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
I think the Arisaka and the Carcano is bad.
Also, only a retard would say the Karabiner 98k and the Mosin Nagant are bad.

I lol'ed when I saw some votes for the K98 and the mosin-nagant...  ;D

I would also vote for the Arisaka, mainly because it had to face the M1 Garand.
"Du sublime au ridicule, il n'y a qu'un pas"
-Napoléon Bonaparte

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
I lol'ed when I saw some votes for the K98 and the mosin-nagant...  ;D

Some people just won't grow up!  ;D

Arisaka seems to be the worst, yet I haven't tried it myself (same goes for french and italian rifles  :()

Mosin and kark (though I tried kark only about twice) are very good rifles. Even today these could be used for quite impressive effective long-range sniping (very high penetration, good precision, high damage, the only bad thing is recoil and bolt-action thing (compared with new specimens)), provided good optics.

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
Carcanos are not bad at all, but on the eastern front they froze easily and thus jammed quite a bit because of the shivering cold, and infact the rifles had to be held over fires just to get them loose enough to fire.

Everyone burns the Carcano. (and maybe because they have never fired one :D) It occasionally jams, yes, but it's fairly accurate if the line of sight is set up correctly. It's effective range is pretty good for a bolt action. I'd say it's on par with the Lee Enfield or even quite possible a Mosin-Nagant, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. (I'll take the Mosin-Nagant instead of the Carcano to the range if I had to choose for the sake of sheer accuracy, effective range, and firepower) Yes, it is known for jamming because the Italian army had blamed taking casualties on "Poor Equipment", but in reality they were a poorly trained army of folk-people who just wanted to go back home. (Sadly, the Italian army pushed all the way to Stalingrad!) Mussolini didn't want the world to know his army wasn't trained quite well, so he blamed it on the rifles and MGs. (Later the tanks, but in reality yes, those were NOT so great)

I vote the Arisaka. It had a formidible opponent (M1 Garand) and didn't have much to offer. It jammed quite often without reason. (Other than lack of mechanical design) I think the Japanese were just looking for a cheap, spammable weapon that they could hand to the army like candy.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
Fighting to the very last man honestly takes balls of steel.  Everyone talks about the bonzai charges behind their armchairs nowadays, but most people would piss in their pants if ordered to make a charge like that.

Actually, Banzai charges were a sign of cowardice. A bizarre sign, but still a sign. Banzai charges were a way of ending your life with honour, and was a kind of "ideologically approved suicide". However, it was something cowardly to do when, for example, the commander of the Iwo Jima garrison ordered his troops to fight to the death, but always trying to kill as many Americans as possible from protected positions, rather than carry out futile charges that were quickly stopped in their tracks by machineguns and semi-automatic rifles, with heavy losses for little to no gain.

Its just too bad these guys committed a lot of war crimes and therefore fought for an unjust cause.

Actually, the cause comes before the war. It doesn´t matter how heroic a soldier is when it comes to justifying the war he is fighting in.