Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: What would you think if CoH went Vietnam?  (Read 4793 times)

Offline HostileAmerican

• Strelky
    • View Profile
What would you think if CoH went Vietnam?
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »
I would love to see CoH expand to Vietnam, you don't see too many games out there in the era of Vietnam, (or Korea as a matter of fact).

I just wanted your opinions about this idea. Tell me what you think.

Offline WartyX

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Dave got trolled! Trololol!
    • View Profile
    • Eastern Front @ Twitter
Re: What would you think if CoH went Vietnam?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
Not enough variety. An army of poorly trained peasants with kalashnikovs against a much smaller and very complex system of the US Military. There isnt the diversity of the Second World War, although it may be worth a look.

Offline TheAllMihtyOne

• Commissar
  • красный армия
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »
a developer at the Pacific theatre mod forum is working on a vietnam  mod that you culd check out. otherwise i strongly recomend the game: battlefield vietnam.
The GrimReaper is walking the Earth collecting Suols

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »
I always thought that Vietnam would be perfect for CoH, although in a simulation, without the environmental, political and psychological constraints, surely the US would dominate everything. There's only so many Forests and Villages you can Napalm in real life :P

BF Vietnam is a great game, even if it isn't even half realistic, Its still a solid base for idea's.

Offline HostileAmerican

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
well the thing that I see that would be kind of cool is that the Vietnamese would have intergraded tunnels going into villages and bunkers on top of hills and such, now that would be something to see. 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:13:36 PM by HostileAmerican »

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
I forgot about that. Sort of like the GLA from C&C Generals, although in CoH you would actually use the tunnel systems because you have to leave your base in order to play the game.

Offline HostileAmerican

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »
Right just that you can't bring vehicles into the tunnels or anything like that. In the first line of attack or defense for Vietnam would be local Viet Cong, and more military the farther north you go, same with the battel of Hue and the Tet offensive a large terning points in the battle, Not many vehicles where used but a lot of air and ardy, not to mention napalm.

It might be time to brush up on Tour of Duty once again fellas.

but going even farther back than that, perhaps introduce the French when they started the war.

" France began its conquest of Indochina in 1859. In spite of military resistance, by 1888 the area of the current day nations of Cambodia and Vietnam was made into the colony of French Indochina (Laos was added later). Various Vietnamese opposition movements to the French rule existed during this period but none were ultimately as successful as the Viet Minh common front (openly controlled by the Communist Party of Vietnam) which was founded in 1941. During World War II, the French were defeated by the Germans in 1940. For French Indochina, this meant that the colonial authorities became Vichy French, allies of the German-Italian Axis powers. In turn this meant that the French collaborated with the Japanese forces after their invasion of French Indochina during 1940. The French continued to run affairs in the colony, but ultimate power resided in the hands of the Japanese. This situation continued until the German forces were expelled from France and the French Indochina colonial authorities started holding secret talks with the Free French. Fearing that they could no longer trust the French authorities the Japanese army interned them all on March 9 1945 and assumed direct control themselves through their puppet state of the Empire of Vietnam under Bảo Đại. "
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:29:28 PM by HostileAmerican »

Offline TheAllMihtyOne

• Commissar
  • красный армия
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:25:03 PM »
what ups with the bold text?
The GrimReaper is walking the Earth collecting Suols

Offline siegfried

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »
I'm planning on making the mod sometime, like theallmightyone said.

Offline DaChief99

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:33:35 AM »
I think this would be a good direction to go for COH

-Lots of infy strategy would be involved
-Even thought the Vietcong wern't well trained/armed, giving them a variety of traps would even the playingfield.
         -Caltrops
         -pungi pits
         -ect...
-Stealth would be fun sneaking through the forest behind enemy lines

The only thing they would HAVE to do would be make aquatic vehicles like PBR, or controlable helicopters. Yay COBRA

Though it would be odd for them to go away from WW2
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:36:07 AM by DaChief99 »

Offline vengefulnoob

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
U know, Korea wuld be a good setting for coh...

Us and uk vs Korea and china
Za Chest Gvardii!

Offline georider

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 04:15:08 AM »
Korea will be much easier than Vietnam . It more close to WW2 instead of Vietnam ,I vote for Korea