Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Some ideas.  (Read 6861 times)

Offline Dzierzan

• Translator
  • Commissar
  • I am the king of second bananas!
    • View Profile
Some ideas.
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
Hi people!  ;D

First idea:

In second building of SU, we can choose two upgrades: buildable sniper and ZiS 2, and buildable tank hunters and mortar group. We can buy both this upgrades. I think it makes no sense. Better idea is we can choose only ONE upgrade. That means - we want sniper to fight vs infantry or ZiS 2 to fight vs vehicles and on the upside - tank hunters to fight vs vehicles and mortar group to fight vs infantry. When you chose one upgrade, the second one is locked, that should be. SU have too many infantry, so this should reduce their number.

The idea is from Ostheer, becasue there also we can choose only one global upgrade to build two need units. (of course in one building)

The second idea:

Why SU can build Tanks Depot at the beginning (it's unlocked)? Better idea - you have to build barracks, support barracks, any upgrade in support barracks and then you can build tanks depot. It's probably more fair, isn't it?

And the third one but it's more like suggestion:

About 5 months ago i asked you (devs) that can you show current EF version in CoH menu. If you don't want make it in menu, so just make it in launcher. This isn't difficult, is it? That would help many, many, many players.

That's all. Thank you for reading.

Regards
TheDzierzanPL :P

Offline SnappingTurtle

• Guard
    • View Profile
Re: Some ideas.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »
You can find the EF version in the EF launcher. Click "About" in the menu bar.
Steam
CoH name: totalrecall

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
You can find the EF version in the EF launcher. Click "About" in the menu bar.

Sorry to say, but that is only the launcher version (3.100 atm) and not the mod version (1.31).

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
For the 1st idea; No, thats a terrible idea. The idea of having to choose which upgrades to use would severely handicap the Soviets. If you get the AT gun and the Sniper you lose the ability to use the Tank Hunter which is very good early AT infantry to take out the pesky light HTs and other vehicles which are plague tot he Soviets when used right. Getting only the Mortar and Tank Hunters would handicap their ability to fight Tanks, because the Tank Hunters are good vs. vehicles but can't do that much damage to the heavier tanks and the Mortar is useless without recon as it has no targeting.

For the 2nd idea; I'm sorry but this too is not a good idea. The ability to deploy the Tank Depot before the Support building is to create more varied strategies and different unit combos in early game. The linear tree you suggested would make them look like the bloody Brits who's linear Truck Tree is quite boring and doesn't allow for new tactics, just the same old crap.

For the 3rd idea: That is a good idea, but I don't find it necessary. It can be implemented at a later date, not something to waste the Devs time with

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
For the 1st idea; No, thats a terrible idea. The idea of having to choose which upgrades to use would severely handicap the Soviets. If you get the AT gun and the Sniper you lose the ability to use the Tank Hunter which is very good early AT infantry to take out the pesky light HTs and other vehicles which are plague tot he Soviets when used right. Getting only the Mortar and Tank Hunters would handicap their ability to fight Tanks, because the Tank Hunters are good vs. vehicles but can't do that much damage to the heavier tanks and the Mortar is useless without recon as it has no targeting.

+1

You would have to mandate between Mobile or Heavy AT weapons, and Artillery or Anti-Infantry...It's just NOT a good idea. It would cripple any mid-game stance.

For the 2nd idea; I'm sorry but this too is not a good idea. The ability to deploy the Tank Depot before the Support building is to create more varied strategies and different unit combos in early game. The linear tree you suggested would make them look like the bloody Brits who's linear Truck Tree is quite boring and doesn't allow for new tactics, just the same old crap.

Also +1, it allows players to rush for tanks and surprise the enemy. It's not a BAD thing you can rush for tanks, and besides, if you're rushing for tanks you pretty much need around 150+ fuel. (To build the tank hall, then upgrade it, then purchase your first tank.)
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »
Summary:
Ideas #1 and 2 - let's nerf soviets to the hell and back!
-Hell No!
The rest is OK

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline Dzierzan

• Translator
  • Commissar
  • I am the king of second bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:57:51 PM »
Well i respetc your answers - ok NO, not all ideas have to be great.

But version of EF should be somewhere.

Killar

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »
The idea is from Ostheer, becasue there also we can choose only one global upgrade to build two need units. (of course in one building)
Hallo!

But you could switch between the pools, so it only costs the soviet player much more ressources, but will not prevent him to build these units.

greetings

Offline Alexander 'ApeMen' J.

• Global Moderator
  • Against Jabba and what he has done!
    • View Profile
    • The StarWars Rap :D
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »
i dont thing its a good idea that soviets can only choose one upgrade
but whats about after the player choose an upgrade
the other upgrade cost increase so you are still able to get all units but its not so easy to spam

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 03:14:35 PM »
If you want to ban spamming, then do it directly - set the limit for each "spammable" unit (like it's done for conscripts f.e.). But I would expect the same thing to be done to axis, esp. to PE, then.

— forever.

Offline Alexander 'ApeMen' J.

• Global Moderator
  • Against Jabba and what he has done!
    • View Profile
    • The StarWars Rap :D
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »
ok spam isnt the right word^^
but i think as soviets you have to set priorities
if you want a sniper ok take the cheap upgrade
but if te situation changes and you neet tankhunters or a mortar you must buy the increased upgrade to get one of this units

but its only a idea^^

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
I don't think, you can actually implement that idea, apart from that I don't like it (but that's just IMO).
Anyway, the biggest balance issue about soviets being called OP, is that all their abilities (let alone mines) are resources-free (cool-down itself is not that relevant anyway). So a compromising decision would be making all/some abilities cost resources, but the price would be set lower, than that for other factions, and with shorter cool-downs, than those ATM. That would also require a massive revision of the munition upkeep though.

— forever.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
I think that the abilitys/muni upkeep are fine actually, just a few tweaks to stats here and there and SU is good to go!
Soviet is OP

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
I don't think ideas 1 and 2 should even be debated upon at this point, it's almost unanimously agreed that they are NOT good ideas.

I like soviets the way they are, can't speak for everyone however.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
I don't think ideas 1 and 2 should even be debated upon at this point, it's almost unanimously agreed that they are NOT good ideas.

I like soviets the way they are, can't speak for everyone however.
+1
Soviet is OP