Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Sticky bombs.  (Read 5581 times)

pariah

Sticky bombs.
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
We all know how they work in Company Of Heroes, but how did they work in real life? apparently they were improvised anti-tank weapons coated with a sticky substance designed to take out the wheels and treads. What was it they were coated in? And what was the explosive used? And how did they not stick to the soldiers hand?

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky bombs.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
Most likely they were magnetic. Doyou know the Zimmerit thing painted on late-war Panzers of the Germans? It's an anti magnetic paint. So obviously, explosives with a strong magnet, thrown at a target of metal will stick to it. ;)

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

pariah

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
Oh yeah, i had heard of the anti-magnetic paint. I thought it was just to stop the enemy from attacking them with fridge magnets.

Offline Sovereign

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
Yeah Zimmert was effective in that one regard (aside from the fact that it just looks dare I say "awesome")

Ironically must bombs used by infantry weren't even of the magnetic make, for ex US soldiers for the most part just used good ol' satchel charges and 'pineapples'..   

TS3 2.0: ts55.gameservers.com:9374

Offline Paladin88

• Guard
  • Tell me, are you afraid to die?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:24 AM »
Watch the series "Dad's army"  :P
Seriously, sticky bombs weren't actually used that much... 'cept in the pacific. There were stories that the humidity actually stopped them from sticking to the tanks... (like in COH where stick bombs miss their targets or ""bounce off"!)
OIY! Get your filthy hands off the Maus!
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=5672.0

Hee hee, I added colour to the avatar. Isn't it nice?

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »
watch saving private ryan

they worked like that, except they werent radar guided like the ones in COH
Soviet is OP

Offline SnappingTurtle

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
"Take a standard issue GI sock, fill it with as much Comp B as it can hold and coat it in axle grease..."

Zimmerit didn't actually have any anti-magnetic properties. The coating was ridged which made magnets fail due to lack of surface area in contact. AFAIK, only the Germans used magnetic anti-tank bombs to a significant extent anyway.
Steam
CoH name: totalrecall

pariah

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »
Hmm... You know i always wondered what he meant by "Composition B is in."... :-\

Offline Ruddersmarine

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
The majority of actual sticky (using an adhesive substance) bombs had to be stuck on the tank at short range (Saving private Ryan actually got something right for once!!!). Many British Home Guard soldiers were killed when they tried to throw the sticky bombs on practice ranges and the bomb fell of the stick and exploded at their feet, nasty way to go.....
'Walk softly and carry a big gun'

pariah

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
What exactly is the point of using live explosives for practice?! Waste of resources...

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »
Pariah got the point here, the NCO must be very stupid to let soldier use live explosive for training such that, throwing sticky bomb never easy like nade at all. Why dont Sticky potatoes like CoD 2 :P
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Tankbuster

• Allied Commander
  • Major
  • I have no anti armor capability!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
Were they effective against Tanks?
(un)official forum troll

In Soviet Russia, Forum troll You!

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »
I dont think so, I think hollywood glorified the sticky bomb. seriously imagine their practicality in a battlefield atmosphere I'd much rather be behind an AT gun or a bazooka

and dont forget americans had those things that fly in the air and knock out panzers left and right
the german tank crews said the most feared anti armor weapon in the american arsenal was the airplane
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:11:10 AM by RedGuard »
Soviet is OP

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »
The tube sock with Comp B in it.... Yeah it didn't work particularly well, mainly because most people blew themselves up with it (just like in Shaving Private Ryan)

Comp B is a mixture of TNT and RDX explosives, about 40/60 ratio respectively. Its a powerful explosive that is still used by some NATO suppliers to this day, but its not quite as handling friendly as C4 (Composition 4 or Composition C). It wasn't particularly effective because it lacked punch against armor, and when it was used effectively and never caused much damage except perhaps to the treads, which only made the crew angrier and want kill you more.

They were often used in conjunction with flanking attacks, were one (often suicidal) soldier ran up to the tank and placed it on the tread while the guys with Bazookas used the opportunity to sneak up behind a tank and then blow it up with a fine engine shot

pariah

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
I would think sticky bombs would be marginally effective at taking out the treads/wheels. And without mobility, it's a sitting duck for proper anti-tank.