Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: PE strategies?  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
PE strategies?
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »
I wondering how PE can perform as they are the only faction that has no defense units and to begin this, I would like guides on how they can outperform others without discussing too much on the doctrines first.

1. They don't have defenses, unless you choose Lutwaffe strategy.
2. They cannot secure points easily without a Scout Car (though you can secure anywhere you want since it is not static), and it does count populations and upkeeps.
3. They have no good tanks, unless you choose Tank Destroyer doctrine.
4. They have decent artillery, such as Hotchkiss and Mortar Halftrack. You can simply upgrade Hotchkiss with Stukas without choosing any doctrine.
5. They don't have forward base though they can make reinforcement points. But if there is a map that has no buildings, they are done for.
6. Their assault infantry can be quite a pack, but still can be killed easily if in short range combat with Volks, Command Squads, Strelky.
7. They have no surpession units, except Infantry Halftrack. (that not really surpress sometimes) and Wirbelwind Flakpanzer (though Lutwaffe strategy).

Experienced PE players, how do you play PE effectively?

Offline Todstyak

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Re: PE strategies?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
Well PE survive first off by not utilizing defences or securing points because you never want to stop the offensive. You create multiple assault teams so when one attack needs to fall back due to repair or reinforcement needs you can send in the other team imediately. If PE is played right then you don't need such defences as the boundries of your territory should be constantly changing. Scout cars should only be used when you are in need of a particular resource to secure a high point for maximum efficiency. As for what you have stated about PE combat weaknesses, they are all true to a degree but you are forgetting that their early light vehicles are difficult to combat since anti-tank/vehicle weaponry is acquired medium-game. Weak tanks you say? Are you forgetting about the Panther? The PE panther has better stats all around than the wher-panther and excluding the IS-2 is possibly the strongest non-doctorinal unit in the game, not to mention they get PE veterancy bonuses which are the best in COH regarding how much the add to the unit (health, deflection, penetration, damage). I'm not sure if you mentioned this in your post but do you have concerns with reinforcing as the PE? They can reinforce from Halftracks. If you do like having defences then PE is not for you, simple as that. The Brits already do that well. if you have any other question regarding PE (or any faction) and how they operate don't hesitate to ask as I'm sure I didn't answer everything  :)

(Gwehr 43s can suppress using an abilty, I forgot to mention that)

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »
1. Panther is a late game units and sometimes when it is called in, the enemies should have decent AT units as well. If they have early tanks like StuG then it is good. In mid game there is no way you can call in Panther easily too, except Hotchkiss and Marder III.

2. Their vet bonus is pretty good and I think some players, like myself, I will not use G43 in mid or late game as I think the MP44 assault unit works better than G43. G43 is similar to a sniper unit for some reason due to the attack range.

3. I think even though their early vehicle advantage, such as Scout Car, Infantry Halftrack, Armored Car, when a unit have 3 or more points in Infantry Efficiency (such as Naval Squad, Strelky, Riflemen or MG), they can be destroyed easily too.

4. Brits defense is good but it costs population, so it is not really possible for using them to spam defenses too.

5. Doctrines for PE like artillery, have any uses? So far I only use the incendiary traps, booby traps, sector artillery and Hummel.

As I think off a way to offence and to hold certain points, as PE, any nice ways that can be applied on this, especially you are facing with tough units like Brits or Russia?

Offline Todstyak

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »
I have not developed solid enough strategies for countering soviets but a nice common ability for countering Brit defence is incendiary grenades. Hummels work as well, they are late game but have an abnormally fast cooldown for barrages and are supprisingly accurate. On a side note, I once used a little glitch with the bergetiger and goliaths to get 20 Hummels  ;D For countering Brit infantry (this works for just about any infantry) use 2 panzer grenadier squads: 1 with STGs and 1 with Gwehrs. I know, I know you don't like to use Gwehrs late game just hear me out. Have the 2 squads travel together until enemy infantry is spotted, then you move the Gwehr team into a good spot where they can use their range and the have sufficient cover. then use their "Suppressive Volley Fire" ability to suppress and pin the enemy infantry. Finally flank the enemy with the second squad armed with STGs. keep them close to make use of their automatic weaponry but keep them on the move so they are harder to hit and that they gain the STG accuracy and damage bonus that only occurs while on the move. Another thing I would like to add is that Panthers are not as late game as you think. If you only make the buildings and improvements neccesary to call them in you can do so fairly early and use their spoils to fund building other base buildings and improvements.

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »
I think Brits are quite easy to counter as they don't have sufficient tanks where PE can counter them easily (except when it deals with MG and Brens Carrier).

This sounds like a good strategry where STG + G43, but I think the huge cooldown means a munition halftrack need to be used too right? As I use the ways to counter tanks where I don't choose Tank Destroyer Tactics.

When calling for Panther, it seems that a lot of manpower is needed, 1000 MP + upgrades for the units to call in tanks like make Marder and Hotchkiss available, and some upgrades, these make calling for the tank is quite difficult too when it is on the middle war with enemy units. If they have tanks available early like the Hetzer it sure do make the game easy.

Offline Todstyak

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 11:39:10 PM »
I will agree with the early Hetzer awsomness  ;D When I play as the PE and I need to counter tanks but I didn't go TD Tactics, i usually Post Marders behind my force and have lighter vehicles spot and bait for it. Basically I use this tactic until I get Panthers. Hotchkisses with the long barrel can be decent for tank killing but they are very risky to use because they will be ripped apart fairly quickly If you are not careful so I prefer Pz.IV ISTs. They take out infantry quite well and serve as good baiters for tanks since they have little to no anti-tank abilities,"oh look at this poor ol' Panzer 4 snubby" the over confident American tanker will say, "He is not match for my sherman death squad! Wait! Where are you going little panzer? back to your mama!?! OH SHIT!" he finally exclaims as he is led into a 3 marder ambush :3

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Marder do have decent range, and can kill tanks easily but also quite fragile  - they can even destroyed with a number of SMGs. If combined with a ambush with any other units, it is quite good to use too. Baiting is quite risky but if immobilizes with AT Halftrack it is quite good as well.

For Hotchkiss, I usually do with Stukas and only attack in a group as it is true they have weak armor and the only non-doctrine multipurpose artillery/ AT unit.

I don't go into tanks too much as the infantry squad is quite decent with a few upgrades but without reinforce point (where using infantry halftrack is a bit difficult due to low armor) it will be quite hard to attack at mid or late games.

TheVole

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
Scout car rush :)

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo148/jackhamershmal/2013-07-07_00002.jpg~original [nofollow]

Though I think the only reason I managed to destroy their base so quickly was because they had no idea what they were doing, lol.

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
I think PE is good at assault and quick tactics. With Wirbelwind + a few armored cars, you can demolish their buildings easily. Scout car is quite hard to use because of low DPS and the purpose of capturing the points and secure them too.

Which faction you fight for, is it the Soviets?

Offline Todstyak

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
I admire the Ostheer and Soviets but Britain has always been my favorite due to all my practice with them. PE is interesting too, its the Americans and Wehr that I'm bored with.

Offline Miles Dixon

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
Brits are nice to use if they have quick map control ally such as Soviets / PE (If the mixed mod is applied) as they have pretty low mobility). I personally like to use PE if it is for semi-defensive with buildings so that I can support from the flanks.