Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Micro Help  (Read 1983 times)

Offline MajorBookworm

• Ingenery
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Micro Help
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to improve my micro skills. I have literally lost whole units and games by simply forgetting about them, so they either get killed while im not paying attention or they sit at my base unrienforced for ten minutes.
Please help me.  :'(
You know that feeling when you're standing in a high place and get the sudden urge to jump... i dont have it

pariah

Re: Micro Help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:11 AM »
Well if your problem is simply forgetting you had units somewhere, i don't think we can help you with that...

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:40:57 AM »
Spam clicks. It sounds stupid but if you press it enough times it must release adrenaline (epinephrine) or something that makes you act faster. After a while of getting used to just clicking, start using those clicks to actually check different things - unit health, reface weapons, zoom around the map etc. After a while you get used to your clicks actually having a purpose.

Try to conscriously think of the placement of every single unit. During a battle, micro each unit to a separate piece of cover. You can select all your units and use tab to cycle through them one at a time if your clicking skills still aren't up to scratch. After practicing that for a bit, expand the area so you now control more than just one battle, you control your flanking units and support units as well. After that, expand to controlling all units on the map simultaneously.

Remember that the tactical map, minimap and the unit tab on the right of the screen are useful if you forget about units often. Make it a habit to check these as often as possible. The minimap should be checked every few seconds and the tac map/unit list should be checked every minute if you're not good at remembering where you put your units. Check back to your base every 30 seconds or so to make sure the units there are healing/reinforcing properly. Don't waste too much time here. Select the unit, spam R as many times as you can and then move out. Reinforcement of a full army shouldn't take longer than 10 seconds. When I reinforce I check back at base, select everything, tab through while spamming R (takes 10s max), look around the map again/give orders (10s), return to base and give the orders to move out. Watching them reinforce is wasted time.

Micro improves with practice. There's no magic thing you can do to suddenly be awesome at it but by tricking your brain into over-excitement (even in dull periods) you can train yourself to respond quicker when you do need it. You don't have to overthink unit placement when you put them in cover, just move to the first piece of cover available. The action is what is important, not the reasoning. The reasoning is something separate (known as "game sense") that also comes from practice.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline MajorBookworm

• Ingenery
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »
`Thanks Guys  :) :) :)
You know that feeling when you're standing in a high place and get the sudden urge to jump... i dont have it

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
Spam Clicks?  8)
When I get in a fire fight I try to have other non-involved but significant units all grouped together and click on the group so it shows the group on the gui. I conduct my firefight as best I can. Your peripheral vision and sound cues can notify you of a problem and you can click on the unit in trouble quickly. Sort of an Overwatch fcn.

I have difficulty with setting ambushes and battlefield awareness and the hold fire fcn. Particularly with FJs, Partisans and Sappers. Fjs its Awareness and timing. The bloody sappers and partisans seem to have a mind of their own and migrate out of position. Ideas?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:42:16 PM by Otto 213 »
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline SnappingTurtle

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
You can use the comma and period keys to cycle idle builders and infantry respectively (or it might be the opposite I can't remember). You can use the blue shield on the right of the screen to see all your units. You can use control groups to group your infantry. You might want to do it by type or by front depending on the situation. As far as forgetting about your units I do that all the time. But I would think that if you practice partitioning the map into logical sections in your mind you'll do better. Listen to the game with headphones and the volume whacked right up so you can clearly hear gunshots and when units call out that they're under fire. Use the space key to cycle through notifications. You'll get these when stuff is researched, units are built, builders finish building, units come under fire, etc. Also remember to shift-queue commands. Like if you tell a unit to capture a point, hold shift and put that unit somewhere you're not likely to forget about it, like nearer the front, or at least into some nearby cover. And use the tactical map. It will serve your needs for moving units around the map much better than the regular view, unless you need to move units very deliberately (facing a weapon, activating an ability, getting into cover, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:42:26 PM by SnappingTurtle »
Steam
CoH name: totalrecall

Offline GnrlKhalid

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:24:46 AM »
Micro just comes with experience , also if you keep forgetting about unites check your little blue shield on the right side of the screen , it lists all your units that are currently in-game . also number your squads , give similar squads the same number if you're still a beginner .
another important thing is that you always need to explore the map .
good luck .