Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Favorite Military Leader...  (Read 23100 times)

Offline tigerclawstyle

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Favorite Military Leader...
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:26:32 AM »
of all time. From the Modern era to ages of antiquity. Please post who you find to be the most interesting military leader, or give us your top five. Also, please give us an example (such as a battle or whole war) where the person made his mark on military history.

No matter how much I read about military history and the people involved, two names always draw me back to study more. 

1. Genghis Khan; largest continuous land based empire. Who knows what might have happened to Europe if he didn't die. His military organization and the tactical ability of his units probably shook the Middle East and Eastern Europe/Russia much like the way the Germans did with their blitzkrieg. 

2. Hannibal Barca; Almost brought Rome to it's knees before it really even stood up. The Battle of Cannae, and the first documented usage of the double envelopment; 70,000 Roman Legionaries/Auxiliaries died in a few hours. His plundering of Roman territory, was a major cause for the Roman's to begin the process of becoming an Empire.     

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Military Leader...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:20 AM »
1. Alexander the Great - Probably don't need to recount what he did.

2. Heinz Guderian - Developed armoured warfare tremendously and most of the Panzer tactics used by Germany came from him. It was also his suggestion/order that all Panzers be fitted with radios which allowed the high level of coordination Germans were famous for.

3. Henry V - Just because the Battle of Agincourt is so romanticised. Took some serious balls to stand and fight. The speech in Shakespeare's play is also pretty awesome.

4. Hannibal Barca - Military Genious. Probably the top tactician of all time.

5. Admiral Yamamoto - Knew his enemy and knew he couldn't defeat it but followed his orders to the best of his ability. Orchestrated the attack on Pearl Harbour which was a resounding military success but still couldn't stop the juggernaught of the US. Sense of duty and determination is pretty impressive.

Honourable mentions: Admiral Lord Nelson
                                Napoleon Bonaparte - Duh but not on the list cos French :P
                                Feldmarschall Paulus - For pissing off Hitler by not committing suicide
                                Marshall Zhukov - Grim determination and solid tactics to win at all cost. Also stood                           up to Stalin

These were some off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:19:17 AM by GodlikeDennis »
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline tigerclawstyle

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »
1. Alexander the Great - Probably don't need to recount what he did.

Good list. What did you think of Oliver Stone's film Alexander if you've seen it?

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
It was alright, a bit long though. I felt it really dragged around the part where they were crossing the Hindu Kush. I thought the battle in India was really good though. Quite powerful when Alexander realises he's not invincible. Anthony Hopkins' narration was awesome too - really set the atmosphere.

I thought the movie really captured how Alexander felt he was a god and the battles were epic. However, his personal life wasn't relatable at all and his weird relationships weren't really explained well except for the one with his father.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:35:38 PM by GodlikeDennis »
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »
Genghis Khan.  Biggest empire on earth.  EARNED it through merit (Unlike Guderian's Germany or Napoleon's France, Mongolia was not strong AT ALL before he came along) by using and developing superior tactics.  Fucked everyone's princess and didn't give a shit, and died doing it.

Conclusion: The man with the most badass balls-to-brain-ratio to ever live.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:23:53 AM by Yauz »

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »
Alexander the Great ----> conquered almost everything except India and Roman Republic.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »
Not that he is anywhere near my favorite, but Stalin was able to "Conquer" peoples minds and free to think. SO that makes he a effective leader.

I don't really have a favorite leader though.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
My favorite military leader is Thomas J.Jackson. Irish American, West Point, Class of 42(46?). His Valley Campaign of 1862 is still required reading there. During the Valley Campaign created a detour for over 100,000 men of the Army of the Potomac  on the Road to Richmond for four months. - Not even PADOT can do that!

Battles: Vera Cruz, Mexico City, Chapultepec-"the Halls of Montezuma", John Brown's Execution, Bull Run, Romney, Kernstown, McDowell, Franklin, Front Royal, Winchester, Cross Keys, Port Republic, Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Savage's Station, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry, Antietam, Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville.

The most promoted American Soldier during the "War to Steal California from the Mexicans".

Advocated "Shooting the brave ones", Foot Cavalry and 12 Sarissa's -See Alexander the Great.

"Fool Tom", "Old Jack", "Robert E Lee's Hammer", "Lee's Right Arm", "Old Blue Light", "Stonewall".

A Presbyterian Deacon he believed in "keeping holy the Sabbath". He started many of his battles on a Sunday.

Final Words "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees... Send Forward A.P.Hill"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:47:41 PM by Otto 213 »
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline Crinkle

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
1 - Ghengis Kahn

2 - Boudicca, the earliest leader that i can think of who was a woman and rose up against the empirical power of rome.

3 - Admiral Lord Nelson i don't know why but i just like him

4 - William Wallace, although only really won a single battle he became a man of legend among the population of scotland at the time and that makes him a respectable figure in my eyes.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
THose interested in the career of Alexander should consult Arrian's Anabasis, Loeb Classical Library.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »
Leopold the theird . King of Belgium.

He fought during ww1 and when the germans invaded in 1940 he led the army as a true king!.. Well yeah they lost XD. But come on! A king commanding an army ! Its like a medieval war! A true man of the people! Hell, he deserves at least to be my favorite <3

Edit
He is quite handsome to !
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:04:54 PM by Sommarkatze »

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

Offline tigerclawstyle

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »
It was alright, a bit long though. I felt it really dragged around the part where they were crossing the Hindu Kush. I thought the battle in India was really good though. Quite powerful when Alexander realises he's not invincible. Anthony Hopkins' narration was awesome too - really set the atmosphere.

I thought the movie really captured how Alexander felt he was a god and the battles were epic. However, his personal life wasn't relatable at all and his weird relationships weren't really explained well except for the one with his father.

Yeah good assessment. I think critic's and people who went into watch another Troy movie or whatever were just thrown off because of how they depicted his sexuality. It's just the way it was back then. The way they showed the first battle against the Persians was very cool. Alexanders vision of his empire really helps set him apart from other military leaders.

@Otto, never heard of Thomas J. Jackson until now. Will have to check him out, I went through an American Civil War phase when I was younger. He was in ALOT of battles.

Also, interesting note. I can't remember the exact number but 70 to 80 percent of people who live in East Asia and Central Asia have some genetic lineage to Genghis Khan. The man certainly like concubines and the old fashion rape method.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 09:37:46 PM »
You wont be a great leader if you wont lead a great number of men. Mao wins.

As for the most favorite leader its commander Shepard - Eass Effect. :P

Offline tigerclawstyle

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
"I'm Commander Sheperd and this is my favorite store on the Citadel..."

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 01:44:16 AM »
You wont be a great leader if you wont lead a great number of men. Mao wins.
My Favorite Partizan leader List
Geronimo
T.E.Lawrence
John Mosby
Francisco Pizarro

Turner Ashby

As for the most favorite leader its commander Shepard - Eass Effect. :P
A meme is a terrible thing to waste.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art